Bimmerfest BMW banner

21 - 40 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Based on this info I will still connect the rubber hose just in case and can close it off later if it creates a problem.
Bad idea. I would not suggest you do this based on my experience. Oil consumption has pretty much stayed the same with the new CCV and is maybe slightly better now I switched over to Mobil 1 0W40. Still pretty much 1 quart in the middle of my 5k oil change interval. No complaints there. So no need to connect the hose to the valve cover vacuum outlet.

I had a 1/8-inch ID vacuum hose installed (about 2 ft long) and had the end plugged up. Kept giving me this slight hesitation during acceleration from low RPM. Very annoying, like having a hole in the air inlet system. No codes and did not find anything with a leak test. Took the hose off last weekend and put the original rubber plug in place on the CCV and all back to normal without any hesitation.

Just to clarify, I never had to connect the hose as suggested in this thread since I did not get a significant oil consumption increase with the new CCV. However, connecting a certain length of hose (even when plugged up) to the CCV may create drivebility problems and will then require you to take a bunch of stuff out to access the CCV again.

Crazy how sensitive the air inlet system is.

·
Registered
4,890 Posts
Interesting...
I did the Pilot mod - connecting a vacuum hose from the back of the intake manifold, to the plugged port on the CCV.
I did not notice any difference.
BTW, this was my 4th CCV install... LOL...!

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
Even though I don't have a car with the M54 and the 3 M52TUs in my family never burn a drop of oil (mileage 50K, 89K and 200K), I read 02 Pilot's thread with great interest. The thread is epic. I have also noted different results with his elegant mod.

This thread is a worthy continuation of 02 Pilots thread. Thanks for starting it Doru. Plus the banter between Alex and Igor has me in stitches. Keep it up, Guys.:thumbup::thumbup:

·
Registered
3,898 Posts
Glad you've found it entertaining John.

Update, with 02pilot's mod my 330Xi M54 still bleeding like no tomorrow 1 quart per 500 miles.

My latest attempt to stop the bleeding.

Switch to conventional oil.
A bottle of Techron in the tank.
Hill billy's tune up AKA Italian tune up (5000 RPM in third gear for more than 5 minutes).

If this doesn't improve a catch can is in order, but it will be an elegant one, NOT Igor's :D

PS. Jason, How the heck are ya? I miss Bimmerfiver.

·
Registered
4,976 Posts
Don't forget to use the PVC valve when making the switch over--you'll need that one item to control vacuum in the crank case--I used one for an old ford 6 cylinder engine,,worked great

·
Registered
3,898 Posts
Don't forget to use the PVC valve when making the switch over--you'll need that one item to control vacuum in the crank case--I used one for an old ford 6 cylinder engine,,worked great
Thank you Poolman. Happen to have the part number for the PCV you're talking about?

·
Registered
4,976 Posts
Sorry,,I don't have one. I looked it up in the little book at Advance Auto , thats around the air filters and such in their store's.

·
Registered
4,890 Posts
Thank you Poolman. Happen to have the part number for the PCV you're talking about?
Sorry,,I don't have one. I looked it up in the little book at Advance Auto , thats around the air filters and such in their store's.
Hi...!
:)
I looked up Poolman's thread, where he installed his custom plastic-pvc oil catch can, and found that he used a PCV for a '85 Chevy truck.

Poolman's Oil Catch Can thread:
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=431442

I looked up PCV's for a 1985 Chevy C10 truck and found this:
http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/web/PartSearchCmd?storeId=10151&catalogId=10051&pageId=partTypeList&suggestion=&actionSrc=Form&langId=-1&searchTerm=pcv+&vehicleIdSearch=6404&searchedFrom=header

Chevy PCV by itself (Purolator PCV Valve PV774):
http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/purolator-pcv-valve-pv774/5851270-P?searchTerm=pcv+

Chevy PCV (by Fram):
http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/fram-pcv-valve-fv184/22660083-P?searchTerm=pcv+

Although, there are people that have used the E39 M5 OEM BMW oil separator in conjunction with the Purolator PV 1009 Check Valve as well.
So, I bet the Purolator PV 1009 check valve will also work.

Link to the Purolator PV 1009 Check Valve:
http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/web/PartSearchCmd?storeId=10151&catalogId=10051&pageId=partTypeList&suggestion=&actionSrc=Form&langId=-1&searchTerm=purolator+pv+1009&vehicleIdSearch=-1&searchedFrom=header

I hope this helps...

Thanks!
Jason

·
Registered
240 Posts
The catch can seems to be working very well for me also, on my 2001 325i.
I used an old fuel filter as the catch, 2 weeks ago and have yet to add oil.
good vacuum and smoother idle too boot.

·
Registered
4,976 Posts
My newer engine has started to use oil and I can't stop it while using the CCV system that is OEM. I have decided to stop try to work with it and go to an oil catch can, like was done with the first engine. I came upon this new PCV valve that I will try to work into my new build.
http://mewagner.com/?page_id=456

I like the idea that this part can be rebuilt and can be tuned for idle and for different flow rates while out on the road, (or if you will ), off idle. Any thought out there?

·
Registered
894 Posts
My low oil warning came on. Down a quart with 5000 miles on the last oil change. Engine has 203,000 miles. At first I was mad since in warmer weather barely 1/2 QT in 6500 miles.
After reading this thread with some seeing 1500/Qt, I'm quite happy. Since 52,000 miles when I bought this car it has had nothing but Pennzoil Platinum 5W30. The first 50K miles only had 3 oil changes with the ridiculous BMW oil change intervals. Can you say varnish in the engine.. Yes I can.

·
Registered
15,154 Posts
Spoke to a few BMW indy shops (people that fix only BMWs), they say M54 engine has low-tension piston rings, so oil consumption is higher than M52.

So, I am not sure how this mod reduces oil consumption. On one hand, I believe you guys who report less oil consumption.

On the other hand, my 2006 X5 3.0i (M54 engine) with brand-new CCV system still sucks some 1 qt/1,000 miles or so.

·
Certifiable BMW Whackjob!
5,650 Posts
Spoke to a few BMW indy shops (people that fix only BMWs), they say M54 engine has low-tension piston rings, so oil consumption is higher than M52.

So, I am not sure how this mod reduces oil consumption. On one hand, I believe you guys who report less oil consumption.

On the other hand, my 2006 X5 3.0i (M54 engine) with brand-new CCV system still sucks some 1 qt/1,000 miles or so.
So what your saying (forgive my ignorance I'm new to the I6's) is that even in an '06 that engine still consumes oil, so it isn't just the early years. I've seen the different dipstick tubes and know they made a "cold weather" version, but what other parts did they modify? Better rings?

The way this mod works (my understanding from the thread linked in post #1) is by adding a vacuum control line from the intake manifold to the CCV you are correcting the pressure problem which causes the low-tension rings to flutter - no more flutter, better sealing, less consumption. That thread is long and technical...only got to page 7 and my head hurts.

And I do have a dog in this fight, I recently picked up an '01 330xi for $850 in great condition as far as I could tell without driving it because the smoke out the tailpipe is instant and massive!

·
Registered
4,976 Posts
CN90, the low tension rings where in all the M54 engines. Don't know if your engine were sent with the same rings or not. I think because of the low tension rings, the added vacuum must be the trick in helping to stop the usage, just wish that I had bit the bullet and gone over to the catch can on this engine before now. First year and a half no oil usage, then the bottom drain back tube went out and I replace the entire CCV and the car slowly started to use oil. Nothing would stop it. Once those rings get some baked oil around them, it snowballs from there.

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
I'm not so sure that the CCV deserves all the blame it receives for oil consumption. I accept that people have modified or eliminated their CCV and seen improvement. But I've had entirely different experience. Oil brand & viscosity, oil leaks & failed CCV have been more significant.

Bought the car with 111k km (~69k miles) and new looking oil exactly to top of the dipstick mark, but unknown brand or viscosity. The OFH gasket leaked and the sump gasket was weeping.
3k km later I was down a litre, ~1.8k miles/qt. Really disappointing.
Changed to 5W40 Total Quartz 9000 Energy, an LL-01 oil, which I've used since year round
5k km later down a litre, almost doubled (or halved, depending on your outlook on life :D) at ~3k miles/qt. But still not very good.
4 1/2 years & 60k miles ago I replaced a failed CCV & all hoses with the BMW brand cold weather version, including new style dipstick tube. Also replaced the OFH gasket.
For the next several years I got 15k to 20k km/litre or 9-12k miles/qt (estimated based on dipstick reading at oil changes & assuming top to bottom markers = 1 litre)
In the last year leaks have started again, and have become worse than when I bought it, enough to leave drips on the driveway. :cry: Consumption has fallen to ~10k km / litre or 6k miles/qt. Putting on my Polyanna face, at least I don't have to add oil between changes.

Crankcase vacuum since replacing the CCV system has been in spec of 4-6" w.c. And I should point out that climate here includes fairly cold winters that challenge the CCV.

I can't explain why elevated vacuum and catch cans work for some people. But I suspect they are band-aides rather than root cause solutions. And I'm not defending BMW's CCV design - why such a complicated, expensive & difficult to service system was chosen over a simpler PCV concept is beyond my comprehension.

·
Registered
4,976 Posts
An indy here in my area has pointed that when he does a CCV in customers cars , he takes the spring out of the Valve from the old CCV and replaces the spring in the new CCV with the one from the old valve. He's told me that doing this has worked for him because it seems to increase the vacuum in the crankcase. He's told me , that the springs in the newer systems are too strong to keep oil usage in check. I've never tried this, but to add, we never know where the new units are being built now and with what tolerence in reguards to the springs. Also have seen some of the OEM units with the diaprahm incorrectly installed, or pinched. I guess this could be another reason to get away from the OEM system. There's so much junk out and about, you don't know who or what to trust anymore. I installed an alternator back a few moths ago that was purchased from NAPA. The part was good for about 2 hours and the light on the dash came on. I took it off and back to the store and they just stared, and stated they don't sell junk. When they tested the part, they where eating Crow.

·
Registered
3,898 Posts
You guys are lucky. My 01 330XI consumes 2 quarts per 1K miles. WTH is happening to M54 engines? Don't get me wrong I love these engines but not the oil consumption.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Oil

I've been doing a lot of reading on this subject since my 525i turned around 110,00 miles. There seem to be a lot of different approaches with varied results.

·
Registered
4,976 Posts
The two engines that have been in my car worked great fo a long time. Once they started to use a bit of oil, they continued to use oil, even with changing out the CCV system. The only thing that got it back in shape where the usage wasn't so bad that I wanted to let go of the car, was the oil catch can deal with a pcv valve. I ordered the tuneable valve today and will be thinking about my build using a catch can around the wagner valve that is on order.

21 - 40 of 60 Posts