Any chance that bearing failure caused impeller failure? ECP bearings are fragile.
PA 66 is PolyAmide 66, AKA ‘nylon’, PA66 GF30 is a 30 % glass fiber reinforced PA 66. It demonstrates outstanding mechanical properties such as higher strength, rigidity, creep strength and dimensional stability. Compared to unreinforced PA 66, the properties of this glass filled modification GF30 make this material suitable for use in parts that are exposed to high static loads over long periods in high temperature conditions. As glass fibers tend in some cases to have a marked abrasive effect on mating surfaces, Nylon 66 GF30 is less suitable for sliding applications. Due to its black color additives, black Nylon 66 GF30 shows improved UV protection for outdoor weather resistance applications. Ensinger manufactures PA66 GF30 under the trade name TECAMID 66 GF 30 black.Bearing feels perfect. 95% of the material was retrieved in 3 large pieces as pictured. That leaves some smaller fragments that are either lingering inside somewhere or were drained out before I realized the need to be looking for such debris. As best I could, I backflushed the engine with my garden hose. I also backflushed the heater core. I plan to remove the radiator so I can back flush it also. So far, I have not observed any debris being flushed out.
As far as the composite vs. metal impeller issue, I don't think there's a problem with a properly made composite impeller. There's something fishy about the impeller on this particular pump. It does not appear to be made of the same material as other genuine BMW pumps or even other OE Saleri pumps. This pump was bought in January, 2019 from FCP Euro. Today I ordered an identical replacement and plan to send this one back under their lifetime warranty plan. If the new Saleri pump resembles the one I have, then I won't install it, but will seek out a pump with the correct impeller material. The impeller that failed is marked PA66-GF 30. Searching online reveals other Saleri and BMW pumps with impellers marked PPS-GF 40. I'm not a materials expert, but clearly these are not the same composite materials. There are other visual differences in the pumps I've viewed online vs. the failed one I have. I'll be curious to see what I receive from FCP. It's almost as if I received a counterfeit pump, but that's hard to imagine coming from FCP. I'm in CO, so it will be next week before the new pump arrives.
Yes, I removed the t-stat and backflushed through its passage to the engine. I had just replaced the t-stat prior to discovering this WP problem. No need to replace it again.Did you pull the t-stat? I would, close back up (without the t-stat), flush/backflush, then put in a new t-stat. (IDK what the M54's t-stat if separate from its housing. If one unit, remove its guts for the flushes?)
Yep, I posted there as you know. This was the ONE guy I could find who reported the same problem I have. The fact I couldn't find more reports is what makes me suspect I (and probably he) somehow received a counterfeit. As many pumps as Saleri sells, if they were all going out with those inferior impellers, you would think the interwebs would be full of reports of disintegrating impellers. The OP in the Xoutpost thread only got 18K miles before failure. Mine went 45K. Anectdotally, one would expect these things to be crashing/burning all over the place.A similar discussion on Saleri WP in Xoutpost E53 (X5) forum...
Water Pump Carnage - Xoutpost.comI'm starting another thread here to go along with my Head Gasket thread but this topic deserves its own space. Last night after removing the Jesusxoutpost.com