Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got an email from my dealer, their first ordered M5 arrived yesterday at their dealership. It's not sold yet. Those who got in on the initial allocations orders should be getting their delivery notifications soon. Good Luck!

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Just got an email from my dealer, their first ordered M5 arrived yesterday at their dealership. It's not sold yet. Those who got in on the initial allocations orders should be getting their delivery notifications soon. Good Luck!
Thompson?

·
'18 Donington Grey M5
199 Posts
Picking up my M5 today!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest

·
Registered
1,607 Posts

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Wow...beautiful car...congrats!! Same 1200 mile break-in requirment?

Sent from my SM-G935P using Bimmerfest mobile app

·
Registered
1,607 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
saw it on instagram. nice build.
I'm not a big fan of the color combo which is why I didn't buy this one, but rather ordered. I would have done the black leather with that exterior. Personally, IMHO, lighter colored seats go better with darker exteriors, so whereas I like the interior, I would have done that with a Blue or black exterior. Again, it's a matter of personal taste.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Sales manager at my local dealership emailed me yesterday that their first M5 has arrived. It's not a colour I would want but I'm driving it tomorrow or Tuesday. As odd as it might sound on this forum, but I'm not so much interested in how fast the car is, but rather how it rides on our local roads and handles as well as whether the exhaust noise intrudes into the cabin. I'm the kind of guy who wants the car to go, without making a big fuss about it. :)

·
Registered
375 Posts
Sales manager at my local dealership emailed me yesterday that their first M5 has arrived. It***8217;s not a colour I would want but I***8217;m driving it tomorrow or Tuesday. As odd as it might sound on this forum, but I***8217;m not so much interested in how fast the car is, but rather how it rides on our local roads and whether the exhaust noise intrudes into the cabin. I***8217;m the kind of guy who wants the car to go, without making a big fuss about it. :)

Why not the M550 then?

·
Registered
599 Posts
Why not the M550 then?
My dealer had an M550 optioned to $108,000 (CAD). I thought the ride and handling were good but the upcoming M5 was rumoured to have improved handling and steering feel. For $5,000 - $10,000 extra I thought it was worth it to give it a try. Truth is if they could get a 540 to ride and handle like the 550 I’d take that car. But, they don’t let you have all of the handling options of the 550 on the 540. So, I’ll see whether the M5 matches the ride of the 550 but with more precise steering. I’ll post my impressions for those interested.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Spent an hour in the new M5 yesterday. I drove it on the highway, in the city, on smooth roads and on bad roads. I think this car is near perfection in the G30 lineup. Steering isn***8217;t too heavy in ***8220;comfort***8221;, the ride in ***8220;comfort mode***8221; is on the firm side, but not harsh at all, except on the worst roads.

The exhaust starts out being a bit loud, but after cruising for a while, it settles into a nice background, unless you wind the engine up, in which case the cabin fills with a deep growl.

The steering is very precise, with good on center feel, but is also very ***8220;quick***8221; which took a bit of getting used to. Steering feel is evident. I can see why BMW mutes the feedback in the rest of the G30 lineup; as a luxury sedan, I can see how drivers of the G30 might not want to feel the vibration in the steering wheel every time the car encounters a less than smooth surface. I***8217;m not sure how BMW accomplished the feedback with an electric steering system (analogue or digital), but with your hands on the wheel, the road surface transmits to your fingertips.

The transmission is fine. In the normal driving mode it shifts smoothly. I didn***8217;t try the sport modes, so maybe this isn***8217;t fair, but I prefer the PDK 7speed in the 2017 Porsche 911 I had last year. I think that transmission is perfection, while this transmission is very good. Maybe not a fair comment given that I didn***8217;t try the quicker shifting modes.

As to ride quality and handling, I find this car to be the best ***8220;blend***8221; of sporty handling, smooth ride and crisp handling. It is clear that BMW has put a lot of effort into making this car a comfortable daily driver while reserving sport and sport plus for absolutely smooth surfaces on the track. The car doesn***8217;t have what I call a busy ride of the 540 and it seems to be lighter on its feet than the M550 X Drive while not giving up much in ride comfort.

In driving on mostly wet and dry surfaces (still some ice around here), I didn't really notice the AWD system. Tre, I wasn't pushing the car, but you can feel the rear bias more than in my 2013 F10 (535 X Drive). I didn't try the 2WD mode. I don't know whether that mode forces the disabling of all the safety systems, but if it does, considering the power under foot, I'd be leery to use that mode, or at least I think you need to make sure you remember you don't have a safety net. Maybe its configurable though - I didn't look into the setup menus.

All in all a brilliant car and if the extra cost isn***8217;t a bar for you, a near perfect choice, in my opinion

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Spent an hour in the new M5 yesterday. I drove it on the highway, in the city, on smooth roads and on bad roads. I think this car is near perfection in the G30 lineup. Steering isn’t too heavy in “comfort”, the ride in “comfort mode” is on the firm side, but not harsh at all, except on the worst roads.

The exhaust starts out being a bit loud, but after cruising for a while, it settles into a nice background, unless you wind the engine up, in which case the cabin fills with a deep growl.

The steering is very precise, with good on center feel, but is also very “quick” which took a bit of getting used to. Steering feel is evident. I can see why BMW mutes the feedback in the rest of the G30 lineup; as a luxury sedan, I can see how drivers of the G30 might not want to feel the vibration in the steering wheel every time the car encounters a less than smooth surface. I’m not sure how BMW accomplished the feedback with an electric steering system (analogue or digital), but with your hands on the wheel, the road surface transmission to your fingertips.

The transmission is fine. In the normal driving mode it shifts smoothly. I didn’t try the sport modes, so maybe this isn’t fair, but I prefer the PDK 7speed in the 2017 Porsche 911 I had last year. I think that transmission is perfection, while this transmission is good. Maybe not a fair comment given that I didn’t try the quicker shifting modes.

As to ride quality and handling, I find this car to be the best “blend” of sporty handling, smooth ride and crisp handling. It is clear that BMW has put a lot of effort into making this car a comfortable daily driver while reserving sport and sport plus for absolutely smooth surfaces or the track. The car doesn’t have what I call a busy ride of the 540 and it seems to be lighter on its feet than the M550 X Drive while not giving up much in ride comfort.

All in all a brilliant car and if the extra cost isn’t a bar for you, a near perfect choice, in my opinion
Great write up. Thank you!!

Sent from my SM-G935P using Bimmerfest mobile app

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Just got an email from my dealer with my VIN number now that it's on production. Should be done early April then the wait for shipment!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts