Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I received the engine malfunction power reduced message while driving normal highway speed. Restarted and the error went away but power loss remained. It now sounds pretty bad. Can anyone identify the problem with the engine. Here is a YouTube video of the engine and noise

http://youtu.be/5XyPOW-gC4c

Thank you._a__a2_

·
Super Moderator
8,226 Posts
The link says it is private. I would check your battery voltage, or try charging the battery to see if the problem goes away. Can you give any details on the problem, other than the video?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have changed the link to public.

It has severe power loss and very erratic idle. I have seen other videos with the same sound and it appears to be from a spun rod bearing.

·
Registered
7,436 Posts
I'm not familiar with maintenance or common problems with this engine, but that noise is painful to hear.

If it were my car I would start with the basics which would be checking all the belt driven accessories and looking for anything loose anywhere near the engine. While I'm not religious, I would say a little prayer to the BMW Gods and consider myself lucky if it's that simple. If nothing obvious then I'd flatbed it to my independent repairer, repeat the praying bit, add alcohol.

Good luck, please post back once you've figured out what it is.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I have changed the link to public.

It has severe power loss and very erratic idle. I have seen other videos with the same sound and it appears to be from a spun rod bearing.
Spun Rod Bearing?? Wow, that's a new one. On a V10, that will get expensive (new/resurfaced crank and rod) unless you do it yourself which won't be trivial and will still be fairly expensive.

Actually it sounds like several cylinders are missing and if a cylinder misses I believe the engine shuts it down until you restart it. I had that happen with voltage problems due to a bad IVM a few years back. It would miss, I would get a Christmas Tree, it would run like holy crap, I would pull over and restart it and it would go away. I also got failure to start issues every now and then. The fault codes were all over the place, multiple cylinder misfires, VANOS, cam sensors, high temp, you name it. I figured all of those things can't fail at once so it must be voltage. I replaced the battery with an AGM and also a new IVM and the problem hasn't come back for two years now, but I don't have the V10 so your mileage may vary.

Good luck

·
Super Moderator
8,226 Posts
I would ask at this point, do you have a oil pressure warning? The clicking sound is most likely from the injectors, & the other sound might be a water pump or alternator bearing going bad. I would also look at the drive belts to see if one of the tension pulleys is going bad? The pulley would most likely jump back and forth at this point. If you suspect a rod bearing, do not run the engine until you narrow down the problem. A motor rebuild would run in excess of 10k. I would post on the M5 Board for M6 related engine problems.

·
Super Moderator
8,226 Posts
If you have access to a code reader, I would pull the codes ASAP. If you are in the DC area, you might find someone who has INPA or DIS, to get all of the BMW specific codes.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts