Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
redhot47fla
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So, here's an update after 10 days of ownership (though several of those days were spent with the car in the shop):

Headline: Still a wonder to behold, still in love with it, still very glad that I pulled the trigger (and that my wife didn't divorce me for doing so).

It's just a joy to drive. So powerful, smooth and quiet (except in Sports Plus mode, as designed). I'll stick with my choice of Alpine white over the dark blue/black interior. I'm completely biased, but I think the car damn near was designed to look best in that combination. And it sure is a looker. And, again, the interior while driving at night - the screens, and data effects, and lighting - just spectacular.

Very many options - and very many settings to configure and personalize those options. Between the Comfort Seats and the twin screens that offer countless combinations of data and images, you can make this car fit you like a glove - though it takes some time and trial and error.

It took awhile, but I've figured out how to set up the main data screen so it's easy to flip between the iDrive data and CarPlay. I still prefer CarPlay for monitoring incoming texts, partly because we still can't get BMW's Connected Apps to download to the car. (More about that in a moment.) For everything else - keeping track of the car's functions, navigation, making phone calls, etc. - I remain in the iDrive ecosystem, which has been re-designed, re-textured and is now a thing of beauty.

If anyone out there buys an M850i, has an iPhone and needs to learn how to set up both iDrive and CarPlay simultaneously, just post the query here and I'll do my best to reconstruct what finally worked for me.

Now, the early sample-car problems:

- The emissions control warning light never did disappear. The service department diagnosed it as a faulty O-2 sensor heater. Being that this is a new model and an early sample of it, there are no such replacement parts in North America. One is being shipped from Germany and should be here on Wednesday. At one point, in frustration, I asked: Can't you just cannibalize one from a car in inventory? The response: "Yours is the only 850 in the whole region." At least he didn't add, "Don't be such a schmuck." (In my defense, I knew that it was the only one around here, but was hoping that the sensor might be an exact clone of a sensor used on other models.)

- Features of the telematics system often worked intermittently, in error or not at all. Hours in the car and on the horn with BMW geniuses here and at the corporate level failed to get the wi-fi hotspot working and, worse, failed to download the full suite of Connected Drive apps, including BMW messages. That was diagnosed as a faulty telematics control unit. One was shipped over from Jacksonville and installed and...it still didn't work. It took local techs and BMW technical analysts nearly three days to troubleshoot that and ultimately make some sort of software adjustment. Now, the wi-fi hotspot works just fine (though I'll rarely, if ever, use it), the other telematics features seem more consistent, and the Connected Drive apps...still aren't appearing. That is said to be a known issue at corporate that other owners also are experiencing and may be resolved by mid-week.

I won't be able to test the Connected Drive apps' ability to deliver texts properly until that is resolved. Interestingly, though, I think that with the wi-fi hotspot now enabled, I'm actually getting audible alerts of incoming texts through the car's speakers. That would be great - finally an indication that something is waiting for me in CarPlay and eventually maybe in iDrive - but I need to test it more fully.

Regarding the two early defects, I knew that I was making myself vulnerable to that sort of thing by being the first (aging) kid on the block to get one of these things. I grew somewhat frustrated during the past week, but I'm pretty much OK with what has happened and the resolutions now underway.

So, that's my summary for now.

Again, the bottom line: No regrets whatsoever. Lord knows, it's an expensive car, but I'm feeling like I'm getting my money's worth.

·
redhot47fla
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Another view. Some people on the boards apparently don't like the taillights and such. We are not among those people.

Attachments

·
Sejanus
5,785 Posts
Beta testing.

·
redhot47fla
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Sejanus
5,785 Posts
Yep, that's largely what it amounts to. They should pay me. :drive:
Perhaps consider a blog or YouTube video...that would certainly get the attention of BMWNA. BTW, congratulations on your new sled!

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
If BMW keeps prancing down "Bucky Beaver Grill" Boulevard (3/7/X7), this will be the last model with an elegant front facia. BMW is really blowing it, design-wise, IMO! Nice ride. Enjoy it!

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
Yeah, I thought I swore off beta testing years ago after two E65 buybacks, but this damn 8er is just too gorgeous to wait. Can't wait to get mine! It sounds like I might be knocking on your mailbox if I have those same iPhone / Connected Drive issues, too.

I'm generally not a fan of white cars, but I agree with you that the M850i looks fantastic in white. Really, though, it might be the sort of car that can pull off about any color. Congrats on your white beauty, though!

·
Registered
186 Posts
Can you select different gauge configurations in the instrument panel? I'm wondering if you can get traditional-looking round gauges?

Thanks!

·
redhot47fla
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes, you can select from a wide variety of gauge configurations on both screens. (The center screen can scroll through at least three pages of gauges or data, each page allowing up to three images).

But no, there is not an option (that I have found) to return to traditional round gauges.

Fwiw, the new look of the gauges was so appealing to me that it became a fairly major factor in my purchase decision.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Thanks. Some whiney beotchs don't seem to care for the way the tach displays rpm's, so I was just wondering if BMW had implemented something that looked more "traditional" to appease the whiney crowd.

·
redhot47fla
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks. Some whiney beotchs don't seem to care for the way the tach displays rpm's, so I was just wondering if BMW had implemented something that looked more "traditional" to appease the whiney crowd.
They're also whining because the turn signal now stays down or up until the turn is completed (i.e., it doesn't snap right back into its original position immediately after activating it). There are multiple threads about that. Tough crowd.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts