BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...ran thru an automatic car wash and next day thing runs like crap won't idle for more than 10 seconds and dies...thinking it is the MAF agree and if so what is a part number for the similar Volkwagon MAF at half the price. Thank You! John

·
Registered
725 Posts
Seriously doubt an automatic carwash would cause anything under the hood to malfunction. It's the equivalent of a moderate rainstorm, that's all. Don't waste your money on a MAF. Get some MAF cleaner, take it out, spray it clean, let it dry and reinstall. Maybe it needs to be cleaned anyway?? Unless you have an open cone filter CAI, that's subject to getting wet when it rains. A MAF can be sensitive, so handle with care. If a CEL was set, in which case take it to AZ, etc., and have them check for any codes first thing. I think it's a coincidence at best. Done any under the hood mods lately??

·
Registered
15,576 Posts
Do you have a modified intake system?

Which car and model year are you referencing?

·
Under the lift arms
13,018 Posts
I do not agree... i will no summit to this logic

·
Registered
12,369 Posts
...ran thru an automatic car wash and next day thing runs like crap won't idle for more than 10 seconds and dies...thinking it is the MAF agree and if so what is a part number for the similar Volkwagon MAF at half the price. Thank You! John
:dunno: :dunno: Where do we start? There's no model, model year, build date info given...so how can we make suggestions as to a specific part...especially from another car brand. Plus the car info you do have listed (under MEIN Auto)...says you have a 740i & 635. The 635i is obvious and would be an e24...but the 740i could be an e32 (1993-94), e38 (1995-2001), f01 (2009-12), or g12 (2014-16)...and this is an e39 5 series forum.

Help us help you better...remember to provide some specifics as to what BMW model/model year you want us to help you with. :)

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Maf

two years ago i had my 740i at car wash and upon exiting the thing would start and die constantly...only kept running with slight gas pedal pressure...had to replace Maf is why i'm suggesting. now friends '97 540i suddenly exhibits similar symptoms. thinking of swapping my Maf to see. same number except for last two??? thanks john

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Maf

...going to get codes...but friend just called to say car started right up this am and running fine!

go figure...thaks for any input! john

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
After rain comes sunshine, and things dry up...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts