BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The local BMW garage is stating I "may need" a new MAF sensor and they're quoting me a price of $700 plus... I noticed a replacement MAF sensor online for my 2006 X3 is roughly $300-$400; can I replace this myself? The garage is stating the vehicle will need to be "reprogrammed" after installing the new MAF sensor...

Thank you!

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
It's two screws and a connector. You can change it in about 15 minutes. It's a learning system, it will learn the new part over a period of 100 miles. You can delete the old leanings for optimal performance. $300-400 seems steep. Fid a Bosch one for $150.

·
Registered
953 Posts
back up a second. "May need a new MAF" is different than "Needing a new MAF"

What codes are you currently throwing? Or what type of symptoms is your X3 showing.

I know BMW MAF's are sensitive but should last a pretty good amount of time as long as you perform some proper maintenance. My MAF on my E46 had over 110k miles on it and worked perfectly fine. Normal cleaning (with CRC) is the only maintenance needed on them. I doubt your running an aftermarket oiled intake system so that's out of the question.

Have you checked your upper and lower intake boots? If there is a rip or tear in the rubber, you have a vacuum leak and the car will throw a code. New boots will only run you $15-30 versus an entirely new MAF.

I say before you start throwing money at the car, post the codes and we'll try and help!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts