BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a cheaper solution for replacing the MAF than buying it from the dealer for a 1997-1998 540i? I found the threads about the VW MAF but from what I have read that is only for the post 1998 models.
Thanks,
Craig

·
Registered
132 Posts
MAF from a 2002-2005 Range Rover with the 4.4L engine is supposed to use the exact same unit at half the price of the official BMW unit. I've read that the e38 guys have been using them for some time now.

·
Registered
7,781 Posts
MAF from a 2002-2005 Range Rover with the 4.4L engine is supposed to use the exact same unit at half the price of the official BMW unit. I've read that the e38 guys have been using them for some time now.
I know this is an old thread, but rather than start a new one I thought I'd just post here that I can now confirm this first hand. Ordered one Tuesday and it came yesterday. Bosch Part #13 62 1 433 567 stamped on the housing. The only difference is that it came in a Range Rover "Genuine Part" box. $158 out the door (no tax or shipping). :)

Be careful where you buy them though. A few sites list them cheaper, but some may be made by Lucas which is a British electronics company (now owned by TRW Automotive) not exactly known for their reliability and one of the OE suppliers for Range Rover parts. If you look at the fine print on the sites, MAFs are excluded from their return policy and they won't verify the brand other than to guarantee you it's a "Genuine" part. Scott at GetCoolParts actually checked for me to verify that their part was Bosch and if for some reason the part that showed up was not, he'd take it back. :thumbup:

EDIT: This only applies to 99-03 e39 540s with a production date after 9/98. If you have a 97-98 540 or any year 525/528/530 e39, this part will not work for you.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I know this is an old thread, but rather than start a new one I thought I'd just post here that I can now confirm this first hand. Ordered one Tuesday and it came yesterday. Bosch Part #13 62 1 433 567 stamped on the housing. The only difference is that it came in a Range Rover "Genuine Part" box. $158 out the door (no tax or shipping). :)

Be careful where you buy them though. A few sites list them cheaper, but some may be made by Lucas which is a British electronics company (now owned by TRW Automotive) not exactly known for their reliability and one of the OE suppliers for Range Rover parts. If you look at the fine print on the sites, MAFs are excluded from their return policy and they won't verify the brand other than to guarantee you it's a "Genuine" part. Scott at GetCoolParts actually checked for me to verify that their part was Bosch and if for some reason the part that showed up was not, he'd take it back. :thumbup:

EDIT: This only applies to 99-03 e39 540s with a production date after 9/98. If you have a 97-98 540 or any year 525/528/530 e39, this part will not work for you.
Went through the same thing a few months back ... BMW Dealer $500.00 (no thanks) picked up the range rover Bosch part for under $200.00

And now it looks like it is cheaper!!

·
Registered
3,563 Posts
I bought the VW one for $79 from the dealer. That was two months ago and haven't had a single issue with it. I just used my old housing and put the new sensor in it. This forum is a big help for saving money. I also bought new O2 sensors from NAPA with the same part number at a fraction of the dealer cost. Good luck with your endeavor.

·
Registered
637 Posts
actually, you can make the the newer style vw maf work in a pre 99 e39 540. the main difference between the two mafs is the the iats(intake air temp sensor) was integrated into the maf begining with my 99. you have to match the wires up, disregarding the wire for the iats. this has been done successfully.

·
Registered
958 Posts
Search is a VERY useful feature

·
Registered
958 Posts
actually, you can make the the newer style vw maf work in a pre 99 e39 540. the main difference between the two mafs is the the iats(intake air temp sensor) was integrated into the maf begining with my 99. you have to match the wires up, disregarding the wire for the iats. this has been done successfully.
Did you do this and have pics, or is it a "I have you heard" situation?

·
Registered
958 Posts
I'm not saying it's not possible, but I've seen sketchy ones come off eBay. Make sure to let us know how it works out in the shoft and longterm as I could probably use a reliable replacement myself eventually.

·
bimmer love
267 Posts

·
Registered
958 Posts
Good find, but the OP of this whole thread is a 4.4 owner, not a 2.5-3.0 owner. Posting that would be the same as me bringing up that 99 and up 4.4's can use VW MAF's for $90...it's basically a teaser to us non-VANOS V8 owners.

·
Registered
958 Posts
Nicely setup 540iT. Yes, we can use VW MAF's for far less than BMW or Range Rover versions. As for the part numbers, it's been forever, so I'd suggest searching around on www.m5board.com since it's the same part and they're the ones who discovered it. I'm sure "VW MAF" will find you the results you want, then repost it here for the hell of it.

·
Was ist los? Der Hund!
683 Posts
I found one for my 740 on ebay for about 90 bucks. New not used or remanufactured.
Beware. You're asking for big trouble with cheap Chinese MAFs. Do some research- you'll fine that the hot wires on these things are not made to spec and will change resistance over time, jacking up readings.

Autohaus and a variety of other vendors sell a genuine VDO-Siemens for $200- it's not really that expensive, and it'll last another 100K. Just think about it...

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.