BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Magnaflow Exhaust and Warranty

1379 Views 2 Replies 3 Participants Last post by  ard
Does anyone know if BMW would really void my warranty if put on the Magnaflow Exhaust? I have the extended maintenence plan and would hate to lose it.

Thanks
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
BMW legally cannot void your warranty because you physically have an aftermarket part on the car. Now if that particular part were to break, and cause damage to the car in some way, if they can prove without a shadow of a doubt that the part caused the damage, then they can void that particular parts warranty, but not any warranty in dealing with maintenance. If you for example put a supercharger on your car that wasn't tuned properly, and that caused internal damage to the motor, of course they'll void your warranty on the motor so that you have to pay for it, but that never happens with an exhaust. If BMW voids your exhaust warranty, Magnaflow has their on warranty to hold up on it, which is why we like to sell Magnaflow so much as well.

With that said, you shouldn't have anything to worry about. After several years with full suspension, full exhaust, including removing the catalytic converters, which of course is illegal in the state of California, changing wheels out, body parts, steering wheel, seats etc... They've never voided my warranty, and never have they even brought it up. You'll be good to go... So if you want a price on that Magnaflow system, I've got dirt cheap pricing, so PM me what year/model your BMW is and which exhaust you want!
This is utter garbage, spun by a vendor that needs to convince buyers they are safe.

BMW cannot LEGALLY "void" the warranty. True.

BMW can decline to cover MANY, MANY failures citing "modifications"...and it will be up to the OWNER to force a lawsuit to get to the "proof". This fact is glibly overlooked by many aftermarket vendors- they tell you "BMW need to prove it"... no, they don't. They can deny the claim, you then sue them, you spend $50k in expert witynesses, legal fees- get to trial- and THEN you find out if the jury agrees with you or with BMW experts.

Truth is that this rarely happens as the cost to litigate ALWAYS exceeds the repair cost.

It is a fact that with some cars, it IS legal to change the exhaiust-BUT the reduced backpressure has caused CELs. BMW has denied any warranty work for CELs related to O2 sensing on this car with modded exhausts...quite appropriately too, IMO.

Back to the garbage above: You put a supercharger on a car that adds ONE HORSEPOWER to the engine output, and BMW can (and should) refuse to cover ANY drivetrain issues. (Maybe not one HP, but you get the idea.) In their argument this vendor allows 'an improperly tuned SC'...what utter lies. You increase HP, you increase failures... BMW will claim the higher HP added to the failure, and you will spend $50,000 to get to the point were someone will evaluate the "proof" and maybe "bmw failed to prove the part caused the failure".

A
BMW legally cannot void your warranty because you physically have an aftermarket part on the car. Now if that particular part were to break, and cause damage to the car in some way, if they can prove without a shadow of a doubt that the part caused the damage, then they can void that particular parts warranty, but not any warranty in dealing with maintenance. If you for example put a supercharger on your car that wasn't tuned properly, and that caused internal damage to the motor, of course they'll void your warranty on the motor so that you have to pay for it, but that never happens with an exhaust. If BMW voids your exhaust warranty, Magnaflow has their on warranty to hold up on it, which is why we like to sell Magnaflow so much as well.

With that said, you shouldn't have anything to worry about. After several years with full suspension, full exhaust, including removing the catalytic converters, which of course is illegal in the state of California, changing wheels out, body parts, steering wheel, seats etc... They've never voided my warranty, and never have they even brought it up. You'll be good to go... So if you want a price on that Magnaflow system, I've got dirt cheap pricing, so PM me what year/model your BMW is and which exhaust you want!
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.