BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Magnaflow installed

6232 Views 25 Replies 13 Participants Last post by  JonM
Installed Magnaflow #14468 with DTM tips (#35133). For reference, the tips had to be shortened by about an inch in order to fit.

See less See more
1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Nice Maganflow.

Back in April, I also installed the Magnaflow on my '99 Z3 Coupe. I went with the 14815 model.

Here's a couple of shots I took the day after I had it installed

Sounds so much better than stock.
See less See more
You punks!! Now you've got me itching to upgrade the exhaust on my car!

Oh well... they look sweet in both cases... not sure if I'd go with the straight or DTM tips.

How did you decide on Magnaflow? I know Supersprint doesn't have a 3.0 solution (yet)... that seemed to be the exhaust-of-choice for the 2.8's.

And what kind of noise are we talking about? I'd really rather not annoy my neighbors (any more than I do already)... and I don't need to attract the wrong kind of attention. Whaddya think?

Also, do you suppose LeatherZ will be offering a leather covered tail pipe? ;)

daver
See less See more
Magnaflow is the way to go

I got an Eisenmann and was pretty disappointed (As far as sound and especially the price). Magnaflow was the only other choice and a great one at that. The exhaust note is perfect. Not too loud, not too quiet. The #14468 is dual in/dual out so you don't have to have a "Y" section bringing it to one input. This one does not have tips so you will have to get some, Magnaflow has a ton to choose from. If you go with the DTM tips, you will have to have about an inch taken off or else they stick out too far (I posted pics of this problem on caranotsra). If you want to hear the difference between stock and the magnaflow:

http://www.leatherz.com/pics/coupes/lz2/magnaflow/

Check out the .mpgs. All were taken at 4000rpms and the car is still not broken in. The sound in these is a bit watered down but you can tell there is a nice difference.

Are you or your dad interested in my matte chrome center console? I am switching to the M console in the next week or so.

Andy
See less See more
Oooohhhh... sounds nice.

Regarding the console pieces, I think I'll be sticking with the wood... but I will ask my dad. How much are you asking for them? Also, what is it costing to convert your console to an M setup? That sounds quite interesting :D
Andy, did your Magnaflow come with a dual inlet or did you have to modify the pipes before the Magnaflow? I am just curious since I would like to upgrade my exhaust as well. Also, what did the MAgnaflow run you $$$ wise?
Andy, did your Magnaflow come with a dual inlet or did you have to modify the pipes before the Magnaflow? I am just curious since I would like to upgrade my exhaust as well. Also, what did the MAgnaflow run you $$$ wise?
Dual

Mine was 2 input so the stock pipes connected without modification. The muffler shop had to run little section of pipes to meet up with the magnaflow. The setup was $320 with the tips and then installation.

Dave, I'm still not sure what I will ask for the console, I will check the prices for a new one and discount it accordingly. The M Console is quite a bit more.
See less See more
Andy,

I just spoke with my dad, and he's also going to stick with the wood trim peices. I'm not even sure if the parts would work in his car since it's an automatic.

Keep track of what your upgrade costs... I figure it's going to be up there, but I've been known to throw large sums of cash around :D
See less See more
Zanary/Andy,

Eggg.... so these are muffler/tips only by the looks of the Magnaflow website. Pro installation absolutely required, or can a DIY'er manage?

Also, where'd you purchase the parts?
The #14815 one I purchaed came with the tips on it already. It was a 1 to 2 muffler. I didn't want to spend thousands of $$$, and everyone was already taking about the Maganflow on http://www.bimmer.org, so I thought I'd do some more research and select one.

I went to one of Magnaflow authorized dealers/installs in the SF Bay Area. The guy was in the San Ramon/Dublin/Pleasanton area. I got it installed (incl tax) for $250. Installation took about 1.5 hours.

I'm very happy. The sound got better after the first few hundred miles of use. It's not too loud I think, acceptible to neighbours and girlfriend (which is the most important).
See less See more
Zanary,

Thanks for the reply ... do you have the installer's name handy? I'm in the Sacto area, wouldn't mind driving a bit in order to hook up with a reliable installer.
I had them do the installf or me.

Minute Muffler Service (Your MagnaFlow Preferred Pro-Installer)
6743 Dublin Blvd.
Dublin, CA
925-829-4733

A friend of mine also had some work done on one of his SUVs by this guy.
See less See more
Need details on DTM tips...

Andy,

I visited a shop today to get an installation quote. The counter-guy was a little confused about the 3" tips for the 2.5" muffler tubes. His concern was that the exit pipes would be close enough to cause problems getting the 3" tips welded in place.

Is there any way you could take a picture of your installation... particularly the aft area where the tips meet the muffler?

The way this guy was talking, it sounded like they were going to butt-weld the tip directly to the muffler body, and not to the exit tubes.

daver
See less See more
MAGNA FLOW???

how can u put a magna flow on such a beautiful german car.. it was not made for it. What r u thinking... I would rather have my stock muffler on then that... sound???? is that really that important to u... i bet u didnt even get the whole cat back, or header back system..huh.. because magnaflow is not made for bmw's. the worst exhaust you can put on.... why dont u reconsider with at least a REMUS.. c'mon now... in my experience i like ac schnitzer, but u can go dinan, hartge, racing dynamics.hamann .etc.. i know they cost an arm and a leg.. but so does the car... if you can afford a BMW it should be at least tuned right by the supreme german tuners... not some american company.... u like magna flow... go buy a mustang
See less See more
Hey 100+ octane, 160mph Dinan Tough Guy

DINANISR3 said:
how can u put a magna flow on such a beautiful german car.. it was not made for it. What r u thinking... I would rather have my stock muffler on then that... sound???? is that really that important to u... i bet u didnt even get the whole cat back, or header back system..huh.. because magnaflow is not made for bmw's. the worst exhaust you can put on.... why dont u reconsider with at least a REMUS.. c'mon now... in my experience i like ac schnitzer, but u can go dinan, hartge, racing dynamics.hamann .etc.. i know they cost an arm and a leg.. but so does the car... if you can afford a BMW it should be at least tuned right by the supreme german tuners... not some american company.... u like magna flow... go buy a mustang
You don't know who AndyM is, do you?

(a) Someday you will want something from him and he will deny you of that. Someday you will want something from one of the people he has alliances with. You just screwed yourself with this post.

(b) If you knew anything about BMWs - and evidently you do not - you would know there are no cat-back systems available for the 3.0i Z3 cars. Not even from "supreme german tuners".
See less See more
LOL. But look, he drives an "M Roaster." What is that, a new kitchen appliance?
Mystikal said:
LOL. But look, he drives an "M Roaster." What is that, a new kitchen appliance?
Oh yeah, search his other posts....this guy is loaded with good information...and dredmo has compitition for worst speller now:) (just kidding dred:thumbup: )
DougDogs said:

Oh yeah, search his other posts....this guy is loaded with good information...and dredmo has compitition for worst speller now:) (just kidding dred:thumbup: )
The funniest is the thread where he says that when his speedometer reads 54-55 he is really doing 50. The interesting part comes in when he says that he and his friends used a "police radar gun" and clocked his at 155 when his speedo said 160. Now, wouldn't the inaccuracy be in a percentage, not a fixed amount? Think about that, his car should technically read real speed + 5, which means at rest his speedo shows 5mph. :confused:

I looked way too far into it, I know, but all of his posts really make me laugh.
See less See more
1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.