BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

· aka Turd Ferguson
1,461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello All....just came back from the muffler shop where I had a MAGNAFLOW muffler installed on the E39. Please excuse the dirty car...I am in So Cal and its gonna rain again this weekend.

Attachments

· aka Turd Ferguson
1,461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
More pics...

Attachments

· aka Turd Ferguson
1,461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
More... The sound is not that loud and deeper than stock. Since it is brand new I expect it to get louder. But I am very happy with the look.

The muffler cost $131 delivered
Labor of install $65
Total cost - $196!

Not bad at all.....

Attachments

· Registered
61 Posts
Gahh! Sweet lord, why did you hang that ugly piece of ricer chrome off your beautiful car? :confused: I was going to suggest the next step would be to debadge your car, but I see you have already done that. Maybe you can put a real wing on that bad boy and some 20" spinners ;)

· aka Turd Ferguson
1,461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ketchup said:
Looks good to me :thumbup:. Identical to the dinan
looks like it peaks out a bit more tho.

natotx>>>so I guess you've replaced your 'ricer chrome' grill with a flat colored one :dunno: ?
Thanks Ketchupp!
:p

I was definitely looking for a "DINAN"-esq look with the tips. I didnt think it looked too ricer...but again I may be blinded by bias.

· Number 12 of 5 or 6
16,137 Posts
Did you also remove the resonator? (big Y- after the cats).... I used a Magnaflow, but not the stainless one...I don't want a shiny muffler under the car...in fact, It got painted stealthy black. Had some stainless tips added though. I also removed the resonator, used 3" tubing all the way back. Muffler is 3.0" Inlet/ Dual 2.5" outlet

Trust me...that Magnaflow will get LOUD if you removed the resonator also. I had to add a dynomax bullet (Where the resonator was) to tone it down some. It sounds great though!!!

· aka Turd Ferguson
1,461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
MMMM_ERT said:
Did you also remove the resonator? (big Y- after the cats).... I used a Magnaflow, but not the stainless one...I don't want a shiny muffler under the car...in fact, It got painted stealthy black. Had some stainless tips added though. I also removed the resonator, used 3" tubing all the way back. Muffler is 3.0" Inlet/ Dual 2.5" outlet

Trust me...that Magnaflow will get LOUD if you removed the resonator also. I had to add a dynomax bullet (Where the resonator was) to tone it down some. It sounds great though!!!

WOW!!! You did it all the way....no I was TOO CHICKEN to remove the resonators. The pics show pretty much all I did was replace the muffler. I kept the stock pipes all the way to the bends near the axle and thats it. The shop asked if I wanted to resonators off, but I said nah...better keep them there. I would love to hear how your car sounds!

· Astigmatic Visionary
2,863 Posts
Gee; In San Diego I wouldn't think you would need such hard core snowtires.;) Both are sweet looking mods.:thumbup:

· Number 12 of 5 or 6
16,137 Posts
Centurion said:
MMM-Ert

Is that Japanese writing on the white label of your 3" pipe? :p
I don't get it? :dunno:

It's standard aluminized 3" tubing available at any good exhaust shop.

Asianimage (don't know your name)...I'll try to post up an exhuast vid for ya.

:thumbup:

· aka Turd Ferguson
1,461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
MMMM_ERT said:
Asianimage (don't know your name)...I'll try to post up an exhuast vid for ya.

:thumbup:
Please do! I want to hear how that bad boy roars!

Will u be driving up to Santa Barbara for Bimmerfest? I plan on going. Maybe I can get a live demo!

· Number 12 of 5 or 6
16,137 Posts

· Registered
282 Posts
I couldnt' hear much from the video clips. I was looking for any drone (or the lack of it) at either idle or cruising speed.

· aka Turd Ferguson
1,461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
MMMM_ERT said:
Love the last video....LOL!
Your car does SEEM quieter than mine...and I still have the resonators. I need to bust out the camera and film some short clips of it. Then I need to find someone to host it for me....maybe this weekend I will shoot some vid.

· Number 12 of 5 or 6
16,137 Posts
Yeah...its not good quality video...its from a digital camera.

There is no drone at cruising speed or idle. There is slight drone if I "lug" the engine...meaning too high of a gear and too low RPM. It's quite quiet in 6th on the freeway. The video going around in circles is in a parking structure with all the windows down in the car. The longest (driving) video is noisy due to windows being down...but at certain times you can hear the sweet sound over the wind noise.

TheMatrixz said:
I couldnt' hear much from the video clips. I was looking for any drone (or the lack of it) at either idle or cruising speed.

· Number 12 of 5 or 6
16,137 Posts
AsianImage said:
Love the last video....LOL!
Your car does SEEM quieter than mine...and I still have the resonators. I need to bust out the camera and film some short clips of it. Then I need to find someone to host it for me....maybe this weekend I will shoot some vid.
Heh heh...thats funny you think its quiet....my wife says its too loud. :D

· Registered
282 Posts
MMMM_ERT said:
Yeah...its not good quality video...its from a digital camera.

There is no drone at cruising speed or idle. There is slight drone if I "lug" the engine...meaning too high of a gear and too low RPM. It's quite quiet in 6th on the freeway. The video going around in circles is in a parking structure with all the windows down in the car. The longest (driving) video is noisy due to windows being down...but at certain times you can hear the sweet sound over the wind noise.
Very nice, I'm in for one, or two (if they custom shop can do quad exhaust on mine), I haven't talked to them yet, hopefully they can. I want the M Coupe look as strange as it might sound.

· Registered
351 Posts
The drone was very present in the second video. I got a headache just watching it. Could also jst be placement of the camera. In the third video it seems to have almost gone away. Regardless the car looks awesome.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.