BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello from Dallas. First post and wanted to share my experience with my recent purchase of both a Touring and Sport version of the Magnaflow exhaust.

Picked up a 2015 AY M3 recently and absolutely love the car. Traded a R8 v8 after several months of issues. Truth is though it may not be as exotic it sure as hell out performs the R8 by a long shot. Great daily driver, reliable, solid track car and my kids fit. Perfect. Except for one thing, the exhaust. It just doesn't do the car justice, we all know that. THE MPE exhaust sounded like a good option but it's very pricey. Have had Magnaflow on other cars with no issues, solid product at a reasonable cost.

I first purchased the Touring version. Perfect fitment, looked more aggressive but was pretty unimpressed with the sound. Cold start is loud but quiets down pretty quickly. Deeper, a bit meaner and a bit louder but honestly not much of difference from stock. Had a nice grunt to it WOT and downshifting at lower speeds. One thing that got old pretty fast was the drone. it wasn't completely obnoxious bit it was there no doubt. Cruising around town, up hill or freeway cruising, the drone was present and i had to down shift a gear to make it more subtle. It may be livable for some but I found it annoying after a while. Again, it is better than stock, just not by much and certainly not for a coupe of grand.

Sport - It's hard to judge volume and tone watching youtube videos so taking the plunge on a exhaust based on videos is gamble. Though there are solid reviews on exhaust you just never know until you hear it in person. Never the less, I took the plunge. I sold the Touring exhaust after 1500 miles and basically made my money back. The sport is basically identical, it just replaces the center resonator with an X-PIPE. First impression? Immediately notice a meaner start up. It's got more volume, a bit deeper and then settles into a nice rumble similar to the Touring idle. Daily driving tone and volume there is probably a 25% increase in volume but not even close to being too loud or annoying. Where you really notice is when you get on it. Mid to higher REVS and it starts to scream and make quite a presence. Downshifts are a bit more aggressive. Best part, besides the added grunt and volume, is the drone is greatly reduced. It's counter intuitive to think a louder meaner exhaust is a more livable but the killer, IMHO, was the drone. This is now a very livable DD and a no brainer. Considering replacing secondary cats but for now I'll enjoy a much improved addition to the F80 experience.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Hello from Dallas. First post and wanted to share my experience with my recent purchase of both a Touring and Sport version of the Magnaflow exhaust.

Picked up a 2015 AY M3 recently and absolutely love the car. Traded a R8 v8 after several months of issues. Truth is though it may not be as exotic it sure as hell out performs the R8 by a long shot. Great daily driver, reliable, solid track car and my kids fit. Perfect. Except for one thing, the exhaust. It just doesn't do the car justice, we all know that. THE MPE exhaust sounded like a good option but it's very pricey. Have had Magnaflow on other cars with no issues, solid product at a reasonable cost.

I first purchased the Touring version. Perfect fitment, looked more aggressive but was pretty unimpressed with the sound. Cold start is loud but quiets down pretty quickly. Deeper, a bit meaner and a bit louder but honestly not much of difference from stock. Had a nice grunt to it WOT and downshifting at lower speeds. One thing that got old pretty fast was the drone. it wasn't completely obnoxious bit it was there no doubt. Cruising around town, up hill or freeway cruising, the drone was present and i had to down shift a gear to make it more subtle. It may be livable for some but I found it annoying after a while. Again, it is better than stock, just not by much and certainly not for a coupe of grand.

Sport - It's hard to judge volume and tone watching youtube videos so taking the plunge on a exhaust based on videos is gamble. Though there are solid reviews on exhaust you just never know until you hear it in person. Never the less, I took the plunge. I sold the Touring exhaust after 1500 miles and basically made my money back. The sport is basically identical, it just replaces the center resonator with an X-PIPE. First impression? Immediately notice a meaner start up. It's got more volume, a bit deeper and then settles into a nice rumble similar to the Touring idle. Daily driving tone and volume there is probably a 25% increase in volume but not even close to being too loud or annoying. Where you really notice is when you get on it. Mid to higher REVS and it starts to scream and make quite a presence. Downshifts are a bit more aggressive. Best part, besides the added grunt and volume, is the drone is greatly reduced. It's counter intuitive to think a louder meaner exhaust is a more livable but the killer, IMHO, was the drone. This is now a very livable DD and a no brainer. Considering replacing secondary cats but for now I'll enjoy a much improved addition to the F80 experience.
This is great!!! Congrats on the M3! I personally think the Magnaflow is the best bang for your buck and people seem to keep hating on it. Certainly much better value than the MPE and it's great that you were able to compare both. :thumbup:

·
Registered
97 Posts
This is great!!! Congrats on the M3! I personally think the Magnaflow is the best bang for your buck and people seem to keep hating on it. Certainly much better value than the MPE and it's great that you were able to compare both. :thumbup:
I want to give my experience with this exhaust. I looked long and hard for exhausts to replace that diaper in the back and was only able to listen to "online" installations of all the manufactures out there. I know, the sound never comes through like actually being there. Well,,I made my decision after hearing a clip of the Magnaflow Sport which sounded nice and deep, not ricey. I also purchased a catless downpipe as well to go with the system and after install I was SO disappointed with the sound. There was a terrible vibration that the shop just could not remove. It quieted down some after warm-up, however was still there when I was in a higher gear and lugged it some. Long story short (and lots of frustration) there is a bracket that clamps both pipes together at the 110 degree bend after the secondaries that I finally removed, and wow, the vibration was gone. It now sounds like I wanted it to sound,,without the CATS and the valves open, all I can say is AWESOME! Sounds like a freaking F1 car...dynamite indeed!

Oh, I also have a JB4 so total cost of tune, downpipes and exhause I'm out a little over 3K. Not too bad. I know the high dollar guys that insist on putting the most expensive exhausts on, God bless you. We have a phenomenal car that is so enjoyable to drive,,we should all be proud of driving this supercar.

Take care and be safe.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts