BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got the Magnaflow (SS twin 3" tips). After much thought, I decided to go American made, like our cars! It saves a lot of weight and sounds excellant. This is no DIY for my car (2000 2.8)
The cat is a single out and welded. All I can say is it sounds much better than stock, butt dyno says yes, and it is by no means loud or ricey :thumbup:

Attachments

·
Confirmed Lap Dog!
165 Posts
Very nice looking

I really like the look of the Magnaflows. Your post has made it that much harder for me to decide between them and the Supersprints at LeatherZ.

I was originally intending to get the Ms once I put the Dinan supercharger in this coming winter. Then JonM said LeatherZ was becoming a SS dealer and I thought, "Why not give the business to someone I know (as opposed to the Magnaflow guys who I wouldn't know if I tripped over) and has been a great contributor to all sorts of Z boards and events?"

But the post of your new muffler has me strongly wavering again. Oh well, I've got time before purchase, so I can go back and forth a bunch more yet.

jim

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
I weighed the Mag at 10.5 lbs. (+ 3' of pipe=?)
The stock muff + 3' of pipe= 45 lbs! How much could 3' of pipe weigh? Not much. Am not sure what a SS weighs with pipe. Any aftermarket will flow better than stock(well most) When I looked thru mine, I just saw this. offset/center. I have a Z3 2.8. I am not sure if the M mufflers are the same weight.

Attachments

·
Registered
568 Posts
2 more question?

StevzZ3 said:
I weighed the Mag at 10.5 lbs. (+ 3' of pipe=?)
The stock muff + 3' of pipe= 45 lbs! How much could 3' of pipe weigh? Not much. Am not sure what a SS weighs with pipe. Any aftermarket will flow better than stock(well most) When I looked thru mine, I just saw this. offset/center. I have a Z3 2.8. I am not sure if the M mufflers are the same weight.
Thanks Steve for the quick answer. The only other questions are:

What is the welding thing every1 speaks of & how does it differ from say SS?

Also,how were you able to determine if the tips would look "just perfect" on your car? ? Online or live ?

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
"What is the welding thing every1 speaks of & how does it differ from say SS?"

Depends on year of car, engine size, M. The early years (4 cylinders) you could unbolt the pipe after the cat. so installing a SS would be a DIY. Some 2.8's have bolts also. The hangers and pipe are already together when you buy a SS(you may have to bend them to make it fit). My 2000 2.8 has a single cat, one outlet, and the pipe is welded. So it would be no DYI for me, since it has to be welded no matter what muffler I bought. The brakets must be made by your muffler man (no problem) and welded on muffler. I think this is better because you can get a custom fit this way, just the way you like it.

"Also,how were you able to determine if the tips would look "just perfect" on your car? ? Online or live ?"

Both! And I measured and measured and etc. for months
:D

·
Registered
568 Posts
Gr8 advice...thanks!

StevzZ3 said:
"What is the welding thing every1 speaks of & how does it differ from say SS?"

Depends on year of car, engine size, M. The early years (4 cylinders) you could unbolt the pipe after the cat. so installing a SS would be a DIY. Some 2.8's have bolts also. The hangers and pipe are already together when you buy a SS(you may have to bend them to make it fit). My 2000 2.8 has a single cat, one outlet, and the pipe is welded. So it would be no DYI for me, since it has to be welded no matter what muffler I bought. The brakets must be made by your muffler man (no problem) and welded on muffler. I think this is better because you can get a custom fit this way, just the way you like it.

"Also,how were you able to determine if the tips would look "just perfect" on your car? ? Online or live ?"

Both! And I measured and measured and etc. for months
:D
Gr8 advice...thanks!:thumbup:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.