BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My first post and im proud of what I’ve done here. I hate cords but I love my tech.

I have had a wireless charger installed on my 2016 F30 for almost a year but it wasn’t the best. It charged slow and the phone constantly slide off the pad.

When I got my iPhone 12Pro I didn’t think to much of MagSafe charging until I got a MagSafe charger for Christmas and started tinkering.

Now, I have removed the wireless charger and installed a MagSafe charger in its place. It could only be more perfect if it came this way out of the factory.

One note, I did have to remove the sliding cup holder cover to make this work so it’s not for the faint of heart. I thought the cup holder/console assembly was a snapped together piece but it’s not. The top and the cup holder bottom are one molded piece. I accidentally broken them apart and after I did realized it was the only way to do it. But I was able to super glue the two
Pieces together and it’s just fine. You have to remove the (useless in my opinion) sliding cup holder cover to make room for the MagSafe cord. I don’t miss it At all.

The MagSafe charger is perfect because its simple, it’s fast charging and it’s magnetic and the phone stays put!

Take a look and if you have questions I’m happy to answer.

·
Registered
2 Posts
the plan was good but...
rip wire in about a week
and even if u have carplay usb connection is st more functional

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not sure how you drive but my neatly tucked cable doesn’t move or rub. And I do have apple CarPlay and this setup is perfect. Simple and clean and effective. And best of all I can’t see anything when I’m in the car.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I love your solution!! How did you get the charging puck to stay in place? Double sticky tape or maybe Velcro? Thanks!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I used some thick double sided tape. I use it still and the cable is still completely uncut and intact!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Ok, great! I have already had the center console assembly apart for an older Qi charger (the phone was always sliding off so this will be MUCH better) so it will be easy! Thank you for sharing your experience!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts