BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys.. I just bought an 05 ZHP coupe from a board member and let me say it is one sweet ride!! The car shows about 2000 miles till inspection 2 (53,500 miles) and the car has the extended maint warranty so bringing the car to BMW is a no brainer. My issue is that on the highway the car feels like it wants to dart to the left and sometimes to the right and has a minor turn tendency on hard braking. Seems like control arm bushings to me (something the maint plan would not cover?). This is not something I want to do myself so should I just pay them to replace with OEM or would I be better off upgrading to the better powerflex parts? Would they even consider using parts I bring in or would I be better off finding a local shop to do the bushings and possible arms.

I am asking here because I know I will not likely get a straight answer from the stealership.

·
In my own cars again
1,402 Posts
Congratulations - great car, you'll enjoy it a lot.

The car is only a few thousand off-warranty, and you're a new customer with a car that's got a maintenance plan. The CAB's would definitely be a warranty item, so see if you can get them to do some sort of good-will coverage on the part. It at least makes a decent argument.

If they balk, I would definitely use an indy rather than the dealership. Most indy's will let you bring your own parts in, and you'll save quite a few bucks right there. The cabs are pretty easy work, and the arms are not too hard either. Maybe do them yourself?

Is it your first bimmer, or does the 540 in your username point to another BMW in your past?

·
Keeping it surreal
43,299 Posts
The "darting to the left & right" is also known as "tramlining", and is quite common in ZHPs with their wide, super low-profile tires and quick steering response. Drive it for a few weeks and see what happens....I`m betting that most of it will disappear with familiarity.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
First bimmer..

And the pull really seems to only be apparent at high speed on the highway. Sometimes it seems pretty significant..but I will see what happens with some more time behind the wheel and I'll see what the BMW place says during inspection.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts