BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I just purchased an used 2016 X3 from an used car dealership. Does anyone know if the Maintenance Program is still valid for my car as a second car owner? My car only has 1600 miles.

Thanks,
Cal

·
Registered
25 Posts
The Maintenance Program is only for the benefit of the first owner:

NON-TRANSFERABILITY
These maintenance programs are available to the exclusive benefit of the initial purchaser, owner, or lessee of a new vehicle, sales demonstrator vehicle, Aftersales Mobility Program vehicle, or BMW Group company vehicle from an authorized BMW center in the United States (including Puerto Rico). Coverage is not transferable to subsequent purchasers, owners, or lessees. The sole exception to the non-transferability of coverage is that household transfers***8212;transfers within the United States (including Puerto Rico) to members of the household of the initial purchaser, owner, or lessee of a BMW vehicle from an authorized BMW center***8212;will not terminate coverage. Household transfers are limited solely to transfers to a current or former spouse or spousal equivalent, child, sibling, parent, grandparent, or grandchild from the initial purchaser, owner, or lessee of a vehicle. In the event of a household transfer, purchasers, owners, or lessees of a BMW vehicle should promptly advise their authorized BMW center to document and confirm the household transfer for purposes of coverage. The payoff of a loan on a vehicle by the initial purchaser and the purchase of a leased vehicle by the initial lessee are not considered transfers for purposes of coverage.

·
Retired Fed
694 Posts
Wow, that sucks! Should have check that out before buying from a used car dealer, since it's a 2016 model, why didn't you just get it from a BMW dealership? Probably could have gotten a good deal since the 2017 models are coming out soon.

·
Registered
4,140 Posts
Welcome to the forum - too bad your first visit comes AFTER making an expensive purchase. You could visit your local BMW dealer and inquire about the purchase of a service agreement. Leave your gold and diamonds at home! Or you could simply have your new-to-you BMW services regularly by a dealer, an independent, or DIY. At the same time it's STRONGLY ADVISED you inquire about the car's history - at the dealer. Even though it has only a few miles there may be some important items that need to be taken care ASAP - you won't know UNTIL it's seen by a dealer.

·
Super Moderator
3,646 Posts
Don't feel too bad. You missed one brake fluid, maybe a cabin air filter microfilter, and 3-4 oil changes. Self oil changes can be therapeutic.

·
Registered
8,892 Posts
Don't feel too bad. You missed one brake fluid, maybe a cabin air filter microfilter, and 3-4 oil changes. Self oil changes can be therapeutic.
OP also missed on knowing why a late model BMW was for sale at a USED car dealer (and not a BMW dealership).

There are VERY VERY VERY few reasons I can think of that a current model year (at the time of purchase) BMW would be for sale at a USED car dealership that are "good" for the person purchasing the car.

This means that this BMW with 1600 miles was bought.... at auction.... by this used car dealer, AND that BMW dealers looked at this car and passed on it.

Why exactly is that? OP needs to know that, even though they now have the car. They need to get to a dealer and see if they can get the service history of this car. I would bet that it was either bought back (then sold at auction, like my brand new 2016 X5 that had 3k miles but was a lemon), or that it had an accident or some other reason why it was not sold at a BMW dealership, but only has 1600 miles. I bet from a sales price perspective, OP saw it and thought "wow this one is cheaper than all the other ones I have seen!!"

None of that has to do with transferability of the maintenance, and the car should still be covered by the new car warranty, so if I was OP I would RUN to the dealer ANY time i had one little issue.

As for as the maintenance itself, I agree OP is not missing a ton. Oil change a year or so, cabin filter, and brakes IF they drive like a maniac. For most people brakes last well beyond the maintenance period.

·
Read Only
735 Posts
I've been studying, or more accurately looking for missing details on my 4yr/50K free maintenance package that came with my new F10. As near as I can figure, they pretty much change the oil. If I should actually accumulate near 50K miles, they may replace air filter elements around the car.
I'm thinking it is easier to stop by my BMW certified Dinan mechanic and pay him for the same services. It comes down to $100-250/year w/o the hassle of fighting commute traffic to the dealer. Or, the hassle of scheduling w/my closest dealer, and dealing with traffic & inconvenience.

·
Registered
8,892 Posts
I've been studying, or more accurately looking for missing details on my 4yr/50K free maintenance package that came with my new F10. As near as I can figure, they pretty much change the oil. If I should actually accumulate near 50K miles, they may replace air filter elements around the car.
I'm thinking it is easier to stop by my BMW certified Dinan mechanic and pay him for the same services. It comes down to $100-250/year w/o the hassle of fighting commute traffic to the dealer. Or, the hassle of scheduling w/my closest dealer, and dealing with traffic & inconvenience.
The problem you might run into if you dont do the maintenance services at the dealer is, now YOU need to have impeccable records if you have a warranty issue and want to take the car to the dealer and have it covered.

As you are likely aware, they scan your key when you go to the dealer and attach the maintenance to your file in the BMW system, so any dealer can see what was done and when (including BMW). If you dont do the (free) services at the dealer, then if you have an issue under the new car warranty, it will not show that you did the maintenances you did not do at the dealer (for example, those oil changes).

Its one of those things where, of course you are able to get your services done wherever you want to, but at least during the warranty period I think its worth it to get the free stuff done at the dealer since its all logged etc, and IF there is a problem there would be one less hurdle / problem to deal with.

If you keep impeccable records then you can do whatever, but even if you do, it will be a discussion as to why you have missing maintenance, oh you dont, where are the records, why didnt you take it in, etc etc.

·
Read Only
735 Posts
Good point. I am still in the "lust" stage of new ownership and hadn't considered the possibility that my new BMW might break.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts