BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the hopes that others who are contemplating purchasing this, I will relate my experience.

Essentially, unless you are certain that during the term of the contract you will require new brakes, this is a bad plan. In fact, unless you are driving a lot, it is probably a bad idea.

Certainly, if the vehicle in question is not your daily drive, avoid this. Despite my skepticism, the song and dance (and pressure) at the dealership convinced me to purchase this, even though I think in my guy I knew otherwise. There were a whole lot of calculations thrown out at me which made it seem like it would most likely pay for itself.

Fast forward 2 years later to when the agreement expired, and the little magic computer that dictates service has only called for 2 services, and I am out over $2000. That's $1000 an oil change.

RIP OFF!!!!!

BMW - your service reputation is not being helped by these antics.

·
Registered
4,132 Posts
Have you decided to buy that bridge yet? I have 10 other people ready to sign up and write checks - sooooo don't wait toooooo long!

·
Registered
120 Posts
I guess it's a lesson learned. My car just needed rear brakes, rotors, an oil change and filters. That was just under $1,500 so I suppose would just barely reach $2,000 but I'm not sure what your plan actually covers. You can always walk away and decide at home when the pressure is off.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Sat through one of these (video) sales pitches a few years ago when we had to go to the "finance manager" even though we were paying cash (check) for the BMW. Very annoying - he made believe he was typing out forms while we had to sit there like idiots watching the video. We were especially interested in the seat treatment so our 26 year-old son wouldn't stain the seats if he dumped his sippy cup.I recall that some grouped add-ons (maintenance, warranty, plus more) added up to about $8000.00

·
Registered
50 Posts
In the hopes that others who are contemplating purchasing this, I will relate my experience.

Essentially, unless you are certain that during the term of the contract you will require new brakes, this is a bad plan. In fact, unless you are driving a lot, it is probably a bad idea.

Certainly, if the vehicle in question is not your daily drive, avoid this. Despite my skepticism, the song and dance (and pressure) at the dealership convinced me to purchase this, even though I think in my guy I knew otherwise. There were a whole lot of calculations thrown out at me which made it seem like it would most likely pay for itself.

Fast forward 2 years later to when the agreement expired, and the little magic computer that dictates service has only called for 2 services, and I am out over $2000. That's $1000 an oil change.

RIP OFF!!!!!

BMW - your service reputation is not being helped by these antics.
Sorry to read about your experience.

Extended "anything" is an "insurance policy" and the value of it depends on many different variables such as model of vehicle of coverage and one's driving patterns.

Case in point for me, for my 2015 X5M (5/2015 in-service date) with 47k miles on it right now. My plan is to keep this vehicle for another 2-3 years and in looking back both at all my RO's and what my iDrive currently is showing and has historically has shown I will most likely need the following maintenance service done:

• 2 Oil Services a year (every 7k my iDrive has been showing)
  • Scope at each service
  • At least 1 possible 2 Spark Plugs service
  • At least 1 possible 2 rear brakes
  • 1 Front Brakes
  • 2 to 3 Micro Filters
  • Plus all the other ancillary stuff like Wiper Blades etc

When I calculated what the "minimum" number of those on the list above would cost individually at the dealer it was far greater than the MSRP from the BMWNA site when I put in all the info on my vehicle.

So like with all things it should be "buyer beware" and know what you want and what you do and don't be pressured into something that you are unsure of. That's why when I first purchased my vehicle I didn't add it on and am waiting until just before my 50k miles so I would know what me "usage" of the Extended Maintenance would be over a period of time.

And yes I know that I can most probably end up going to an independent mechanic that does work on BMW's for all of this but I've had great service from my dealer and SA that I'm not sure it's worth the extra time in searching out a good independent mechanic.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Despite my skepticism, the song and dance (and pressure) at the dealership convinced me to purchase this, even though I think in my guy I knew otherwise. There were a whole lot of calculations thrown out at me which made it seem like it would most likely pay for itself.
jsmbythebay, thanks for relaying your experience. How old was your car when purchased?

Add-ons at the point of sale, also known as impulse buys, amount to big money when added up over many customers, and those in sales are taught to push them. We are especially vulnerable when we are excited about the purchase of a car or a house, and the sales people know it.

It is through groups like this that we can be prepared to make the right decisions! Thanks.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts