Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Performing the first "major" service on the 6er in a couple weeks (2008 650i, 6-speed manual with 60km = 40k miles)

So far, have these items acquired - all OEM from local BMW dealer (I get a decent discount):

- Front and Rear Brake Rotors, Pads, Wear sensors and Torx Bolts
- Main V-Belt, A/C Belt, Idler Pulley and Tensioner
- All Spark Plugs
- Cabin Air Filters
- Intake Filter
- 1.4 Bar Expansion Tank Cap

- Coolant Flush
- Brakes Flush
- Power Steering Flush
- Manual Transmission Flush

Anything else preventative I should be doing while it's in the shop?

Thanks!

·
Registered
7,505 Posts
Drain and fill, don’t flush. Make sure you use the right fluids, the power steering system is very specific.

I’d add a fuel filter.

I’m assuming you’re current on the motor oil.

Sent from my iPad using Bimmerfest

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks!

Yeah, I just wrote "flush" because I assumed that was the term...but I'll assume if drain/fill is the better way, then that is what the mechanics will do. Curious why a flush is bad anyhow?

Adding fuel filter - thx!

Yes, engine oil & filter changed every 3 months - synthetic.

Drain and fill, don’t flush. Make sure you use the right fluids, the power steering system is very specific.

I’d add a fuel filter.

I’m assuming you’re current on the motor oil.

Sent from my iPad using Bimmerfest

·
Registered
516 Posts
Performing the first "major" service on the 6er in a couple weeks (2008 650i, 6-speed manual with 60km = 40k miles)

So far, have these items acquired - all OEM from local BMW dealer (I get a decent discount):

- All Spark Plugs
- Cabin Air Filters
- Intake Filter

- Coolant Flush
- Brakes Flush
- Power Steering Flush
- Manual Transmission Flush

Anything else preventative I should be doing while it's in the shop?

Thanks!

Replace Expansion tank ( known to crack and start leaking)
Replace Power steering reservoir ( there is a filter that comes in the tank)
Replace The small water line that goes over the radiator ( small plastic line that can start to leak.
Replace rear end ( third member) fluid..
Remove the bottom housing of your cabin air filter and clean out leaves and debris. It might surprise you how much is there....

Buy a mechanics stethoscope ( $5 at HF) and listen to your water pump.. If its noisey or making a knocking noise, replace it while you have the belts and tensioner off..

·
Registered
277 Posts
Definitely service your rear differential. Very important.

If your sway bar links are original, replace them. Even though they may look okay, guarantee your steering feel will improve greatly with new ones. Speaking from experience.

Inspect your control arm bushings.

Service your AC system, I've had to replace about 5 compressors on the e63/e64 's in the past year at my repair shop. Would be good to get some fresh AC oil dye in there. And if you can find a shop that utilizes Ice 32 even better!

·
Super Moderator
8,328 Posts
I woiuld also recommend changing the expansion tank & cap, along with the diff fluid. Also inspect or change the CCV valves on the valve covers. If you have access to a smoke machine, smoke test the engine for leaking gaskets & o-rings. I would also clean the MAF sensor, with MAF sensor cleaner only.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Rick, Gonzalo and HerbP for the input!

Some questions:

- Expansion tank seems in good order and I am getting the lower pressure cap for it (1.4bar vs. 2bar stock), would it be sufficient to just do that rather than replace the whole thing? I hate throwing out perfectly good parts :(
- Power steering reservoir also seems in good order and looks easy to replace if something were to happen, so maybe do in the future if there's an issue? Unless there is a known issue with the reservoir leaking, etc?
- I've already cleaned out the leaves/debris under the cabin filters - I remembered this from my 5-series (same issue). There was quite a bit in there as suspected!
- Will do the rad water line and rear diff fluid as Rick/Gonzalo pointed out
- Control arm bushings, ball joints, etc. checked last month by mechanic - said they are good - but pointed out that they will likely fail at some point (common failure)
- Will probably save some of the other for the next maintenance (CCV valves, etc.) - ones that can be done separately

Thanks again!

·
Super Moderator
1,881 Posts
CCV valves are dirt cheap to replace if you need them, you should really at least check these for tears especially as it only takes a couple of minutes each side to do, it's entirely up to you though.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok! Listened to everyone and got the CCV valve repair kits x2. The whole repair kit (part #11127547058) was $60 each after discount though...pricey plastic!

Also got the fuel filter kit & rear diff fluid & vent pipe that goes over the rad.

We'll see how it goes at the shop next week...thanks everyone!

·
Super Moderator
8,328 Posts

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks HerbP for the parts link...will use in the future!

Ok, service all done!

- All Spark Plugs
- Cabin Air Filters
- Intake Filter

- Coolant Flush
- Brakes Flush
- Power Steering Flush
- Diff Flush

- CCV valves
- Fuel Filter in Tank
- Expansion line (the one on top of the radiator)

Everything was OEM parts from the dealership. All of that, plus Summer wheels/tires ordered, so I am officially broke!!!

·
Registered
302 Posts
Hi, Is the diff fluid change process standard. Meaning is it, the simple, 1) remove drain plug, 2) drain fluid, 3) remove full plug, 4) replace drain plug, 5) fill with 75W-90 in fill hole until it weeps out?
I'm at 75K miles for my 06 and need to do it but want to understand the process beforehand. Thanks,

1 - 12 of 12 Posts