Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
What was that?
911 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I have a 2011 X5 35i with 115K miles, 2nd owner. I recently listed it for sale for about $15K with the expectation to sell at around $14K.

I took it in to the dealer for the annual oil service (we don't drive enough miles to have to change it due to distance, so I change it at least every year) and when I picked the car up, I got a laundry list of things that they said I "should absolutely do or risk terminal failure..." - Love how they dramatize differential oil :tsk:

I do understand perfectly that this and all other dealers are crooks when it comes to this kind of stuff, but this got me thinking a bit of what I should do. The list below is sorted from high-importance to low, based on what I am aware the car really needs.

Must Do:
# Oil Filter Housing Gasket (leaking, has contaminated the belt - and according to the dealer I also need to replace the tensioner)
# Accesory Drive Belt & Tensioner
# Valve Cover (PCV Valve has failed - I have the "teapot" whine)
# Blower Fan (started making noise)
# Rear Brakes (wear indicator triggered service light)

Might as well do:
# Spark Plugs & Coil Packs (Doing the Valve Cover makes this a no-brainer if DIY)

Can Wait:
# Transmission Oil Flush (Dealer "recommended" due to mileage - no shift issues whatsoever, smooth as silk)
# Radiator Expansion Tank (Dealer "recommended" due to mileage)
# Power Steering Flush (Dealer "recommended" due to mileage)
# Front Differential Oil Change (Dealer "recommended" due to mileage)
# Rear Differential Oil Change (Dealer "recommended" due to mileage)

Funny thing is... Dealership quote for all of this (excluding Coil-Packs and Blower Fan Motor) is $7900 + Tax - Roughly 60% of the street value of the car...

So, I am now considering the following three scenarios:

#1- Sell as-is and be upfront with buyers, providing the list of the "must do" items and negotiating a discount (ie: Discount the cost of all parts, or buy the parts and include in selling price of the car - Roughly $600 in Parts)

#2 - DIY for the Must Do List - I have access to a fully stocked workshop and have friends offering to help. Think I can tackle all of the engine work in about 8 hours. Brake Pads and Blower motor are easy to do by myself.

#3 - Take to Indy who quoted roughly $1900 for Valve cover + Oil filter gasket + Belt service (downside here is plugs and coils are not included - and parts alone for that is $350 or more - probably $500 from the Indy tech)

Now, here is where I need the sanity check:
I wanted to sell the X5 to get my wife a new car, so doing any work to it makes me feel like I should keep it much longer to amortize the cost of the work (either DIY or Indy).

However, keeping it for longer makes me feel like I may run into some other un-planned breakdowns that will have me putting even more money into the car... one that my wife really doesn't enjoy or love and that I was planning to sell in the first place.

I am inclined to go with Scenario #2 - then sell or keep for one more year. If I sell, I can feel good about not screwing anyone over with it. Keeping it longer will only further reduce it's market value, and also increase the what may break next potential...

So, what would you guys do? Am I missing anything I should consider?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
12,020 Posts
Find a newer cpo car at a dealer and trade it in.... if you wanted to sell it anyway..list the car on cars.com and let the new buyer worry about those issues....those are all maint issues.

similiar on my old x5... as I was looking for a new one mine needed pads and valve cover was starting to smell of burn oil..my wife still drove the truck so i got the parts and did it myself with some new plugs while i had it aprt. Drove it a few more months feeling I made it safer and the next buyer got new brakes and plugs! cost of the diy is pretty low.

·
Nuclear engineer
02/2012 X5 35d M57Y CPO 99K miles NOKIAN WR G3 12K miles
17,468 Posts
ATF at 115K miles? Too late.

·
What was that?
911 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Find a newer cpo car at a dealer and trade it in.... if you wanted to sell it anyway..list the car on cars.com and let the new buyer worry about those issues....those are all maint issues.

similiar on my old x5... as I was looking for a new one mine needed pads and valve cover was starting to smell of burn oil..my wife still drove the truck so i got the parts and did it myself with some new plugs while i had it aprt. Drove it a few more months feeling I made it safer and the next buyer got new brakes and plugs! cost of the diy is pretty low.

Yup. Kind of what I am feeling too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,505 Posts
I wouldn’t put a dime into it. If buyer is smart they’ll inspect and find stuffs it’s a matter of what and how much they find. If you need to have a clear conscience list it for 14 and take 13. That should still be more than trade.

Sent from my iPad using Bimmerfest

·
Resident Curmudgeon
22,796 Posts
To be clear, I'd fix it and keep it. But I keep cars to 200, 300k.

In terms of selling and disclosure, only real issue is the oil leaks, valve cover, PCV, etc. I'd prolly DIY as buyers might be too freaked out- you wind up taking off retail repair costs.

·
Registered
12,020 Posts
Most buyers for this type of vehicle dont know what they are looking at, and even if they bring a "mechanic" these are mantanance issues not defects and they likely wont pik them up anyway.

·
What was that?
911 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I wouldn’t put a dime into it. If buyer is smart they’ll inspect and find stuffs it’s a matter of what and how much they find. If you need to have a clear conscience list it for 14 and take 13. That should still be more than trade.

Sent from my iPad using Bimmerfest
What tears me about this is that I live in a very small town - 40/50k people at most with low average income. Whoever gets this will be stretching to get it, and if they do not address the issues, they will lose whatever they have in it.

I don't pretend to be an angel, just want to find a way to be forthcoming without having to give the car away in the process. I've maintained the car according to need, and if I do the repairs listed, I'm sure it will be good for several miles down the road (at least in the engine department).

To be clear, I'd fix it and keep it. But I keep cars to 200, 300k.

In terms of selling and disclosure, only real issue is the oil leaks, valve cover, PCV, etc. I'd prolly DIY as buyers might be too freaked out- you wind up taking off retail repair costs.
I really wish I'd have more time to spend behind the wheel of my cars. My commute is 4 miles each way, sometimes on my bike, and I sometimes even run home after work and catch a ride the next day. The X5 gets more mileage on it since the commute to School is a whole 9 miles each way. If I used my car strictly for commuting, I'd probably put less than 2K miles on it in a year...

Regardless, I see the same as you do as the path forward. DIY for the essentials, screw the rest.

·
Registered
10,674 Posts
If you're planning to put another 50k miles on the car/truck before selling it, all that work is not really that much out of line as far a scope goes. Everything there is either normal for any car that has 115k miles, or a specific problem on BMW's (e.g. coolant expansion tank, belts and tensioner, oil filter housing leaks). The reality is that any car, from a BMW to a Kia will become a pain in the ass after about 100k miles. Because of the complexity, labor intensive service, and cost of parts, a BMW more so.

Our last Honda was only in the shop once before 100k miles, and that was for tires. But, between 100k and 147k miles, we spent $7k in maintenance and repairs. But, that $7k over 47k miles also let us put off buying a new car for six years. That extra six years on the Honda allowed Frau Putzer to upgrade to a new X3 this time around.

The differential oil in BMW's is a "lifetime" fluid. But, 100k miles is close to what most people see as lifetime. It the differentials have drain plugs (some BMW differentials don't), that's an easy job, although the fluid is expensive.

DIYing that stuff would save you about 2/3's of that $7900. I had a coil go out on my previous BMW at 110k miles, and I replaced all six coils and plugs to get it over with and get on with my life.

The deprecation on a new X5 in its first 50k miles would be somewhere between $35k and $40k. Another used X5 with 50k miles on it might cost you $35k to $40k, and you'd be back where you are now in another 65k miles. Your depreciation costs from here on with this X5 will be trivial.

The car/truck will nickel and dime (make that $500 and $1000) you constantly from here on out. You'll have to worry about what I call the "spinny things" under the hood: starter, water pump, alternator, AC compressor, power steering pump. It the car/truck is an xDrive, front drive shafts and the xDrive transfer case might become issues. Add a battery and suspension components to the list, and anything electrical.

I know that SUV's hold their value better than sedans. But, I'd be surprised if you got $14k for it. Anybody buying a 7+ year old, 100k+ mile used car from the previous owner is going to be a cash customer.

If you're going to use this car/truck locally, not for schedule-critical road trips, and don't mind a little disruption in your life from time to time, you could save a lot of money by keeping it a few more years. Also, there's something inherently noble about maintaining a older piece of machinery.

I'm nursing along my 2007 Chevy Cobalt beater, now with 119k miles. Yeah, I'd like a new beater. (I get a special deal on GM stuff. So, I buy my GM beaters new.) But, I've done the math and decided to nurse the Cobalt along until it needs another set of tires (around 135k or 140k miles).

My goals with cars are to keep them until I see that "1" in the sixth digit on the odometer, and them keep it until the tires are worn out or almost worn out (< 3/32nds inch of tread) tires. Unfortunately, the current tires on the Cobalt went on at 95k miles.

·
Registered
12,020 Posts
If your a diyer change the valve, the belts and fix the oil leak.... keep in mind most peoples car outside of enthusiast are not overly maintained. your car needs basic upkeep items that all cars need. U think a used car dealer sends there lot cars to the dealer for a checkup before selling?? Lol they dont. even alot of cpo cars are glanced over washed and armoralled.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Hi All,

I have a 2011 X5 35i with 115K miles, 2nd owner. I recently listed it for sale for about $15K with the expectation to sell at around $14K.

I took it in to the dealer for the annual oil service (we don't drive enough miles to have to change it due to distance, so I change it at least every year) and when I picked the car up, I got a laundry list of things that they said I "should absolutely do or risk terminal failure..." - Love how they dramatize differential oil :tsk:

I do understand perfectly that this and all other dealers are crooks when it comes to this kind of stuff, but this got me thinking a bit of what I should do. The list below is sorted from high-importance to low, based on what I am aware the car really needs.

Must Do:
# Oil Filter Housing Gasket (leaking, has contaminated the belt - and according to the dealer I also need to replace the tensioner)
# Accesory Drive Belt & Tensioner
# Valve Cover (PCV Valve has failed - I have the "teapot" whine)
# Blower Fan (started making noise)
# Rear Brakes (wear indicator triggered service light)

Might as well do:
# Spark Plugs & Coil Packs (Doing the Valve Cover makes this a no-brainer if DIY)

Can Wait:
# Transmission Oil Flush (Dealer "recommended" due to mileage - no shift issues whatsoever, smooth as silk)
# Radiator Expansion Tank (Dealer "recommended" due to mileage)
# Power Steering Flush (Dealer "recommended" due to mileage)
# Front Differential Oil Change (Dealer "recommended" due to mileage)
# Rear Differential Oil Change (Dealer "recommended" due to mileage)

Funny thing is... Dealership quote for all of this (excluding Coil-Packs and Blower Fan Motor) is $7900 + Tax - Roughly 60% of the street value of the car...

So, I am now considering the following three scenarios:

#1- Sell as-is and be upfront with buyers, providing the list of the "must do" items and negotiating a discount (ie: Discount the cost of all parts, or buy the parts and include in selling price of the car - Roughly $600 in Parts)

#2 - DIY for the Must Do List - I have access to a fully stocked workshop and have friends offering to help. Think I can tackle all of the engine work in about 8 hours. Brake Pads and Blower motor are easy to do by myself.

#3 - Take to Indy who quoted roughly $1900 for Valve cover + Oil filter gasket + Belt service (downside here is plugs and coils are not included - and parts alone for that is $350 or more - probably $500 from the Indy tech)

Now, here is where I need the sanity check:
I wanted to sell the X5 to get my wife a new car, so doing any work to it makes me feel like I should keep it much longer to amortize the cost of the work (either DIY or Indy).

However, keeping it for longer makes me feel like I may run into some other un-planned breakdowns that will have me putting even more money into the car... one that my wife really doesn't enjoy or love and that I was planning to sell in the first place.

I am inclined to go with Scenario #2 - then sell or keep for one more year. If I sell, I can feel good about not screwing anyone over with it. Keeping it longer will only further reduce it's market value, and also increase the what may break next potential...

So, what would you guys do? Am I missing anything I should consider?

Thanks in advance.
Disclose what it needs, sell it for 12k to the first person that looks at it and be done.
They all need most that stuff around similar mileage, and someone should be happy to get the car from someone that cared for it.

·
Registered
345 Posts
DIY your must do's...then piecemeal out the remaining items. It's a great suv it own, you just let the maintenance and typical repair items go.

·
What was that?
911 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
If your a diyer change the valve, the belts and fix the oil leak... keep in mind most peoples car outside of enthusiast are not overly maintained. your car needs basic upkeep items that all cars need. U think a used car dealer sends there lot cars to the dealer for a checkup before selling?? Lol they dont. even alot of cpo cars are glanced over washed and armoralled.

I am taking this route. Ordered from ECS and hope to tackle this weekend.

·
What was that?
911 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
DIY your must do's...then piecemeal out the remaining items. It's a great suv it own, you just let the maintenance and typical repair items go.

I hear you. These were all on my list to get done soon, just happens my wife doesn’t like the car anymore.

·
What was that?
911 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Correction - She never did like it to begin with... steering too heavy for her, coming from a car with EPS.

I think the car is fantastic, just fear the reliability, or actually, the cost of maintenance items.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
22,796 Posts
I have a 2001 MDX with 340k on it. Son is driving it into the ground.

At 200k miles I put a new Acura remanned tranny in it. Paid 2200 including freight to get the trans. Did it over a weekend.

Crazy, huh? But besides normal mmaintennace costs (tires, brakes, fluid), we got another 130k on that....

People just get so crazily twisted up in repair costs.... you'll spend a bit of money, but you will almost surely come out ahead.

and, you will be driving a BMW and not a soul- sucking toyota camry.

·
Registered
5,689 Posts
Correction - She never did like it to begin with... steering too heavy for her, coming from a car with EPS.

I think the car is fantastic, just fear the reliability, or actually, the cost of maintenance items.

Fix OFHG, tensioners, belts, spark plugs and coils. Transmission fluid forget since you did it at 75k, but change transfer case fluid if you did not.
Expect in the future OFHG again and water pump. Probably valve gasket too.
I hear you about heavy steering. I absolutely loved it, my wife not so much. But on rare occasion when she drove it, she didn’t complain too much. For her most important is for a car to have torque to merge, as that is serious undertaking for her. As she said once about our 35d: geez this thing is like airplane taking off :)

1 - 20 of 70 Posts