BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have recently noticed a problem with my transmission:mad::mad::mad: While driving in third or fourth gear when I try to step on the gas really hard to open it up the car will respond but i get a pause in the rpm's like something isn't catching or grabbing then they'll climb as usual. There's a delay that i never felt before,Some one told me it might be my clutch going bad. I hope so and not a major trans. problem. ANY one had this problem or any suggestions?.....

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
I'm assuming since you mention a clutch that your car has a manual transmission, can't tell from your signature. If the clutch was going bad, you wouldn't have a hesitation when you jump on it, you'd see the revs increase without any acceleration. Is that what is happening?

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry I might want to put that in there... But yes it is a manual, I think you're correct though. The rpm's will rise but they'll slow down then speed back up it's like I'm stuck putting my foot down with no result but only for about a second or two literally,Then the car goes as normal. I've only seen it in my higher gears like 3 and 4 havent tried 5 or 6 because i dont really use them, 5 just to cruise. If I don't try to gun it and climb at a normal rate I don't feel it, only when I want to accelerate quickly.

·
Registered
5,413 Posts
I'm thinking your clutch is slipping and may need to be checked out.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yep. Fried clutch.
U think its definately the clutch?...I've experienced a burnt out clutch before in other cars but first gear starts to go in my car now first and 2nd seem strong is this the beginning stages? Have you experienced this problem before?

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm thinking your clutch is slipping and may need to be checked out.
Have you experienced anything like this before?...

·
Into the dark ages
1,559 Posts
sounds like clutch...but yes as noted you tend to see the problem in the lower gears first. i think if in third from a stand still start the car should vibrate quite a bit. if it's a bad clutch it will just slip.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
sounds like clutch...but yes as noted you tend to see the problem in the lower gears first. i think if in third from a stand still start the car should vibrate quite a bit. if it's a bad clutch it will just slip.
A mechanic said it sounds like a clutch also I'm going to take it in tomorrow to have him pull the transmission to see what's wrong...

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Is your check engine light on? A bad bad coil pack or o2 can result in the same feeling...
Nope, no check engine light car runs fine without the slip...

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
A fried clutch will show in the upper gears first, strictly due to the gear ratio. In lower gears there is a much higher gear ratio. The engine turns multiple times for a single revolution of the rear wheels so the demands on the clutch from an applied torque standpoint are much lower. But in the higher gears (lower ratio, less than 1 in 6th) the engine only turns less than one turn for a complete revolution of the rear wheels. The demands on the clutch are much higher. So a fried clutch shows up in higher gears first.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
A fried clutch will show in the upper gears first, strictly due to the gear ratio. In lower gears there is a much higher gear ratio. The engine turns multiple times for a single revolution of the rear wheels so the demands on the clutch from an applied torque standpoint are much lower. But in the higher gears (lower ratio, less than 1 in 6th) the engine only turns less than one turn for a complete revolution of the rear wheels. The demands on the clutch are much higher. So a fried clutch shows up in higher gears first.
Gotcha... I took the car to the mechanic this morning he said he'll give me a call once he has the trans. Down.... Thanks for your help

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Needed a new clutch... Slave cylinder leaking and had to have my flywheel machined. Took the car to an independent mechanic instead of the dealer, damage $1500..... Should have her back on Monday.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.