BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I was wondering if anyone of you is interested into this project.

As you all know, Phatnoise does not sell their Phatbox LE anymore since they partnered up with Kenwood.

As a result of this, Kenwood is now selling their Phatboxes as Music Kegs which are officially only compatible with Kenwood headunits.

Since most of us are probably looking for an MP3 solution as the Phatbox/Music Keg without having to change their stock headunit, we need to hack the Music Keg.

So if you are interested in this project please let me know.

btw, if you are one of the happily owners of the Phatbox, your help / input into this project will be invaluable!

·
Registered
123 Posts
JPinTO said:
Why not just go with the Alpine MP3 changer?
I was just on Alpine's website, and couldn't find a MP3 player. What particular model are you referring to?

I'm always paranoid about leaving CD's in the car, and so am very interested in installing a MP3 player in the car. when it comes, that is :D

·
Addicted
134 Posts
Also, the Sony CDX-757MX with Soundgate adapter play MP3 CDs. Just installed them in my '02 330Ci with in-dash CD. Just a bit awkward accessing CDs 7-10. Good luck!

·
Registered
10 Posts
mdstx330ci said:
Also, the Sony CDX-757MX with Soundgate adapter play MP3 CDs. Just installed them in my '02 330Ci with in-dash CD. Just a bit awkward accessing CDs 7-10. Good luck!
"awkward accessing cds 7-10..." example? is it unbearable, and would you do it all over again? thanks for your reply!

·
Addicted
134 Posts
The only way I have figured out to access discs 7-10 is by going track by track from disc 6. If someone else figures out another way to access the discs more directly, I would love to hear about it.
I think most of the time I will just use the slots for discs 1-6 in the changer. Heck, with MP3 files, that's a lot of music. For real long trips I would probably put some discs in 7-10.

I'm very happy with the changer. It takes bumps without a skip. Unlike the OEM in-dash CD player and the OEM changer. And it changes discs reasonably quickly.

I have no regrets. It would be nice if the display showed the name of the disc and song. It would be nice if there was direct access for tracks ... especially with MP3 CDs with nearly 100 songs. And it would be nice if there was direct access for discs 7-10. Perhaps BMW will provide that technology in the future. But for now, for the price and ease of installation, I don't think it can be beat. Hope this helps. ;)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.