Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
1. I really can't not to mention ASS part - I can't describe in words how I hate fake engine sound through speakers in my car.
If I didn't find (thanks bimmerfest) that this "feature" can be turned off via BimmerCode app (I am still waiting for fxxtokenmaster to re-appear - I hope to polish it with some coding..) - I'd had to return the car. Literally.

To me - fake engine sound sounds absolutely the same appropriate as putting heart pills and stretcher in Buick - everybody is going to die anyway, so why don't add some nice touches for your target buyers?..

Well, if I was planning to die peacefully while behind the wheel - I'd buy Buick (no offence, I had LeSabre for 7 years - that was really great highway cruiser, 3 people on front coach, and no cupholders (imagine that!!) ).
If I wanted everybody hear me coming two blocks away - I'd buy some ghettoblaster car.

BMW 5 series meant to be "STYLISH AND SOPHISTICATED" (quote from https://www.bmwusa.com/vehicles/5-series/sedan.html) - and I don't find making unnecessary noise (and especially fake noise) neither stylish nor sophisticated.. :dunno:

2. OK, now we need to fix this drone noise when in Sport mode. Those exhaust flaps. Shut. Them. Up.
a) Start the car, drive to warm it up, switch to Comfort mode, park.
b) In trunk box pull fuse 203 (the very far left fuse which is 7.5A - it is sticking out a little bit on my photo below). Confirm flaps are closed. Done.
(BTW, there is fuse extractor tool in that box - red, in the middle. No need to run for thin nose pliers - lesson learned the hard way.. :D)

Note: if you really love that noise in all modes - skip step A - by default car stays (at least mine) with flaps open.

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
The car does not stay in open flaps by default (except when in Sport Mode). It does on start up and when in Sport Mode by default. I assume the steps above are for those who do not like the exhaust sound and want it muted even when in Sport Mode where it normally would open both flaps.

For me, I prefer the flaps open in all modes (same instructions except be in Sport Mode when removing the fuse).

·
Registered
40 Posts
I too hate the piped in drone in sport setting. You mentioned being able to "turn this feature Off". How do I do that? and how is that related to the fuse pulling and "flaps"?

I like the exhaust sound increase in Sport but not the piped in noise through the speakers.

I have a 2019 M550i

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
The ASD (Active Sound Design) can only be turned off through coding. Bimmercode will easily do this for an minor investment in the software and an OBD connector.

·
Registered
40 Posts
OK thanks, I have Bimmercode downloaded and I bought the OBD that they recommended.

In searching the web I found all kinds of conflicting information (surprise) about "Coding" i.e in the process of changing something you can do damage to other settings inadvertently.

Is the process for tuning off just the inside speakers fake exhaust sound easy and straight forward? I don't want to change the actual exhaust, I like it as is. But I don't want to screw something else up by mistake.

thanks

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
It is easy and has little or no danger of effecting other systems. The Bimmercode app makes a back up of your settings in case you need to go back. There is an "Expert" mode in the app that has more chance of getting you into trouble. The developer is very good about updates and responds to inquiries.

Probably the safest way aside from using a remote coder, who can also change things not as easily done in Bimmercode (anti-dazzle lights).

·
Registered
219 Posts
It is easy and has little or no danger of effecting other systems. The Bimmercode app makes a back up of your settings in case you need to go back. There is an "Expert" mode in the app that has more chance of getting you into trouble. The developer is very good about updates and responds to inquiries.

Probably the safest way aside from using a remote coder, who can also change things not as easily done in Bimmercode (anti-dazzle lights).
What are the anti-dazzle lights?

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
What are the anti-dazzle lights?
A feature of the optional adaptive headlights that is a tunneling effect that occurs when the automatic highbeams are engaged with a driver is directly in front of you. It is coded OFF for US market cars and has to be coded back on.

Search youtube for examples.

·
Registered
275 Posts
I know BMW is not the only manufacturer doing the fake noise, but I just can't believe anyone thinks this is a good idea - at least make it easily switchable.

·
Registered
40 Posts
help me out here.
I don't like the piped in engine noise and would like to get rid of it. I have Bimmercode and it is connected. If I Google this topic I get hits that show guys taking the back end of the car apart, or fooling around with the exhaust. If it as simple as a few clicks on Bimmercode why would these other fixes even be considered? what am I missing?
So if Bimmercode can get rid of it easily, how do I do that?

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
If it as simple as a few clicks on Bimmercode why would these other fixes even be considered? what am I missing?
So if Bimmercode can get rid of it easily, how do I do that?
Bimmercode only turns off the ASD (the fake engine noise). To open the exhaust flaps in all driving modes, it requires pulling a fuse (M550iX) or physically propping them open (540).

·
Registered
219 Posts
The reason they pipe in engine noise, I suspect, is:

You can't simultaneously make a car sound exciting and sound-isolate the interior from exterior noises. I'm not offering an opinion on whether piped-in engine sound is good or bad, just saying that it's the solution automakers seem to have settled on for reducing undesirable cabin noise and still allowing in the preferred noises.

Are the sounds artificial? Maybe. Or maybe it's the sounds the exhaust would make when run on a dyno under various loads.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts