Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Rest in peace, Coach
9,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife was just driving around town on surface streets lastnight and BOOM! Her rear driver's side tire just blew up. I inspected the tire this morning it looks like the tire had developed a bubble and later the bubble just blew up. There's a 3 inch GASH looking thing on the inside of the tire that looks something from the inside pushed it out.

Oh well, the rear tires are nearly done...the wear bar's not shown up yet but I'm just not happy at all with these Pirelli's. I ordered a set of Contisports Contact IIs for replacement from TireRack...Let's see how these tires perform, they're suppose to be a big improvment over the original Contisports.

Probably should have just trusted my instincts. Last time I checked her tire pressure, the left rear tire was low by 4 psi. I suspected a puncture but couldn't find any and just left it at that...The pressure lost must have been in the bubble. So check you tire pressure and check it often guys. At least once a week.

·
10,856 Posts
Ouch. :(

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
heh, with my old car I ran it with a bubble on the SIDEWALL of the FRONT tire, on a FWD car (meaning LOTS of weight on it) for about 3 months, while I was waiting for another car to replace it. I still can't believe it survived that long. :D

·
•••••••
16,118 Posts
The HACK said:
My wife was just driving around town on surface streets lastnight and BOOM! Her rear driver's side tire just blew up.
Yikes. No rim damage, hopefully. Aside from being able to control and stop the car safely, that's always my biggest concern with a flat.

Thankfully, I haven't had a true blowout like that for the last 15 years or so.

·
Hi
4,481 Posts
Dooooodd, this is not a good week for us for tires! :cry: Yesterday, I noticed I had a pretty nasty nail in my rear tire when HACK helped me flush the brake fluid. I got it patched later on. Now I can't run these tires on the track! :cry: I either need to get a new rear tire for just about $300 (Michelin Pilot Sport, 255/40/18), or get four Kumho R-compounds for about $600.... tough choices - gotta spend mo' money either way. :mad:

·
King of Rear Clunks
12,903 Posts
I had a bubble on a P700z years ago, and it shook the car all the way up to the Bay Area. They were already pretty worn, though, so I promptly replaced em with a set of Firesone SZ50s when I got up there.

·
Rest in peace, Coach
9,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Kaz said:
I had a bubble on a P700z years ago, and it shook the car all the way up to the Bay Area. They were already pretty worn, though, so I promptly replaced em with a set of Firesone SZ50s when I got up there.
Yeah, so far I'm somewhat mixed about these P7000SS. They wear well (it's closing in on 30,000 miles), they're good in wet, and initially they're incredibly quiet and smooth. Lately they've developed a very annoying drone on the freeway as well as horrible dry grip. :( Coupled with the blown tire, I probably will not go with another set of P7000SS, ever.

·
Rest in peace, Coach
9,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
in_d_haus said:
GREAT SIG HACK! ya gonna paint the car to match?
:lmao:

One of the AC Schnitzer cars I saw at Assael BMW had something similiar...Engine decal on the side of car along with some graphics.

·
King of Rear Clunks
12,903 Posts
There were a famous set of factory racing E30M3 and E24M6 that had all the innards in outline. I think there are a couple of replicas out there.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Raffi said:
Dooooodd, this is not a good week for us for tires! :cry: Yesterday, I noticed I had a pretty nasty nail in my rear tire when HACK helped me flush the brake fluid. I got it patched later on. Now I can't run these tires on the track! :cry: I either need to get a new rear tire for just about $300 (Michelin Pilot Sport, 255/40/18), or get four Kumho R-compounds for about $600.... tough choices - gotta spend mo' money either way. :mad:
Unfortunately, Michelin no longer make the 255/35/18 tire anymore. You might be able to find someone that still has one but you might have to go to S-03's which mean that you would have to change all four tires. Sorry.

·
Hi
4,481 Posts
Ben Chou said:

Unfortunately, Michelin no longer make the 255/35/18 tire anymore. You might be able to find someone that still has one but you might have to go to S-03's which mean that you would have to change all four tires. Sorry.
:cry: :cry: :cry:

·
Rest in peace, Coach
9,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Funny, TIRERACK charges less for 2nd day FedEx than UPS GROUND.

The order is released to the werehouse for shipping, I should have it by Wednesday or Thursday...Will have the tires mounted and balanced this Saturday. :)

·
King of Rear Clunks
12,903 Posts
The HACK said:
Funny, TIRERACK charges less for 2nd day FedEx than UPS GROUND.
Tire Rack's shipping crap is all messed. They used to ship UPS ground dirt cheap but not anymore.

BTW, Dan, I prolly coulda gotten you those tires for a few bucks less. :D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts