BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
12,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just hit a big male yellow lab, going 35. Nailed it right front bumper/fender. Absolutely no damage whatso ever. But, more importantly, as a dog lover, I am very happy to say the dog was fine except a chunk of meat out of its mouth and paw. I would rather my bimmer be crashed than kill a dog. Thanks BMW for making a good solid vehicle:thumbup:

·
Double Bimmers
1,176 Posts
I have got my "window sticker" right here, it says, it got minor damage from 2.5 MPH impact in the test.

·
I like cookies.
18,102 Posts
dredmo said:

very true, but at 35 mph, If you asked me, I would have bet money a dog would make a dent. Of course the angle and everything else played into that.
My sister hit a dog a year or so ago driving a 330Ci, broke some of the bumper trim (and a turn signal, I think). Depends on where you hit it. I think she said it was 35 or so, I never saw the damage...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Your wreck looks AWFULLY familiar...

I just wrecked my 2001 325xi w/SSR Competitions a month ago, CD-55! That pic of yours looks TOO similar, man.

Insurance says mine is a total (though it took a month to get there). I'm sure yours is too, hence the new-car order....

Empathy from one who knows EXACTLY how you feel.

-- DLF

CD-55 said:
I have got my "window sticker" right here, it says, it got minor damage from 2.5 MPH impact in the test.

·
Double Bimmers
1,176 Posts
Re: Your wreck looks AWFULLY familiar...

DLF said:
I just wrecked my 2001 325xi w/SSR Competitions a month ago, CD-55! That pic of yours looks TOO similar, man.

Insurance says mine is a total (though it took a month to get there). I'm sure yours is too, hence the new-car order....

Empathy from one who knows EXACTLY how you feel.

-- DLF

yikes!!!

did your's look like this?

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
Re: Re: Your wreck looks AWFULLY familiar...

NO, I admit that the Comps came through relatively unscathed. But forward of the front axle our cars could be twins!

CD-55 said:

yikes!!!

did your's look like this?

·
Automotive Monomaniac
10,706 Posts
Not to jack this post, but did you know one major difference between cast wheels and forged? It has to do with what happens affer an inpact: Cast wheels shatter, and forged wheels bend.

In theory, a high speed impact with a cast wheel will result in instant air loss, while the same impact with a forged wheel can result in just a slow loss of pressure - allowing control as the car is brought to a stop.

Just an interesting comment...

·
Rest in peace, Coach
9,106 Posts
Emission said:
Not to jack this post, but did you know one major difference between cast wheels and forged? It has to do with what happens affer an inpact: Cast wheels shatter, and forged wheels bend.

In theory, a high speed impact with a cast wheel will result in instant air loss, while the same impact with a forged wheel can result in just a slow loss of pressure - allowing control as the car is brought to a stop.

Just an interesting comment...
Too late Emission, thread is officially hijacked...

That is why good wheel manufacturers will FORGE the outer rim and CAST the wheel spokes to take advantage of the best of both worlds. Forging is a very expensive technique and will drive up prices exponentially (Fiske, for example), so by forging the outer rim and casting the wheel spokes, and attaching the two with bolts you can have a ultra strong, ultra lightweigh wheel without the $10,000 price tag.

Unfortunately, all of BMW's multipiece wheels are cast/cast...

·
Double Bimmers
1,176 Posts
Soup Nazi said:
OUCH CD-55! Wow! At least you learned from it, too bad you learned with such an expensive car! Your rates affected much?
I expect I will lose my accident free discount.

·
Double Bimmers
1,176 Posts
The SSR's sure are light... I thought they were forged, but they shattered. What gives?:dunno:

·
OMGWTFBBQ
11,262 Posts
CD-55 said:
The SSR's sure are light... I thought they were forged, but they shattered. What gives?:dunno:
I think that if you change Emission's wording a little, you'll get "cast tend to shatter and forged tend to bend" Bets are off in any specific real world incident though.

·
Rest in peace, Coach
9,106 Posts
CD-55 said:
I don't think the SSR's are forged. Forged lightweight wheels are EXPENSIVE. There are only two companies that I am aware of that makes 100% forged, lightweight wheels, Fikse and Kinesis.

That's also why they tend to warp and bend much easier than regular cast alloys, because they give up structural rigidity when they lose weight.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts