BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Stick 325ci or Septronic 330ci or just sit tight?

• Would you get the 325ci Manual that's avialable now at a good price

Votes: 3 20.0%
  • Or just setle for a Steptronic but pay a little more for a 330ci

Votes: 2 13.3%
  • or just wait for a 330ci manual and pay extra for it even it it means $5-7k more

Votes: 10 66.7%
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to buy an e46 coupe and *really* want a manual, however they seem really hard to come by. I also would prefer a 330ci over a 325ci [who wouldn't] but I have a line on a nice 325ci manual and I'm wondering if it's worth going for it or hold out for a 330ci even if it means getting an auto for and paying a few bucks more.

.. or do I bight the bullet... and wait as long as it takes for a 330ci manual?

Anyone have experience with both these setups?

Your opinions please.

·
Registered
27 Posts
well if i was you i would wait to get the 330ci manual but if u dont like to wait then 325 would b nice also make no different from the two but the hp and value thats all

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
After rereading my post.. I suppose I should reclearify my qeustion a little. What is the driving experience like in a 325ci manual vs a 330ci auto?

·
Registered
27 Posts
well when u drive the 325 manual it has a strong kick into it and will charp easily as u shift but the 330 auto just give it a smooth ride and kinda boring but if i was u i would do want giantkeeper said =]

·
Registered
238 Posts
Since you're buying used, the price difference between the two should be much less than if the cars were new. Looking at your previous rides, I'd venture out and say that you will be disappointed with the 325 in the long run. I've driven several 325s, in both transmissions and have always felt that the bigger engine just makes the car feel like a performance vehicle should.

·
Ubergeek
15,646 Posts
They're about the same speed in a straight line. If you hold out for a manual 330, you won't be disappointed. E46s are a dime a dozen, just be patient...

·
Tar Heel Faithful
14,127 Posts
I say wait it out and find what you want. BUT if you absolutely must have one now, get the 325ci manual. It's just the speed that's a bit less...the driving experience isn't any worse provided it has the sport package/suspension.

·
Registered
523 Posts
I would just wait for the 330Ci Stick.

·
Registered
328 Posts
If you *really* want a manual gearbox don't buy an automatic. You should have plenty of choices in Northern California, go a few miles away from home if you have to. Most of time when I have bought the "wrong" car or got screwed on a car it was because I was not patient. So keep looking, eventually you will find just the right one.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Firstly let me say my 325ci manual coupe is a very nice car. Fast, acceleration, power, smooth, great drive, all the usual superlatives.

Differences I'd personally note, the 330 has a nicer "meatier-sounding" exhaust note. A manual 325 can be far more economical for petrol than a 330 auto ever could, I can get 40mpg from mine on a smooth motorway run. It matters when you cover over 350 miles per week.

Manual gearbox (stick shift to you guys in the USA) can be notchy, clutch is quite heavy, this is no easy-to-drive town runabout, this is essentially a real sports car, albeit a very comfortable one that I greatly enjoy using all the time, not just as a "fair-weather" cruiser.

Sports suspension and 18" wheels will give you tighter handling and a "harsher" sports ride which you'll notice, and possibly tire of if you're not an enthusiastic driver, over the bumps; whereas the SE spec has that "magic carpet ride" quality and feel over the bumps, a quality not to be underrated in Central London.

And importantly for the UK, where cars are taxed according to co emissions, (as will be the London and soon to follow other cities congestion charges, and residents parking permit charges) the manual 325ci has a rating of 217gm, which is just below the very expensive top band, whereas the auto 325 and all the 330's are in the top band for co emissions.

The 330 will of course have the edge for performance, though obviously don't expect M3 like performance from either of these.

In short, would I get the 325ci Manual that's available now at a good price? - I did, and I'm very happy with it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts