BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Manual gear shift lever

1035 Views 5 Replies 2 Participants Last post by  smolck
I have a question on my gear shift lever. The car shifts normal. Every thing is fine.
My problem is when I go to coast to a stop. I take the lever out of 5th gear. Take it toward the neutral position. It sticks in the neutral position associated with 5th gear. It does not return to the 3rd/4th neutral position. I can pull it into the neutral position and it stays there.
Any thoughts or ideas? Tranny? Linkage? I have not had time to jack the car up to take a good look yet. What do I look for? :dunno:
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
You have bad detent springs. Cheap, but the trans has to come out to replace them
Found it on My330Ci. The hardest part would be to get the tranny out and back in.
Time for a new single mass clutch as well.
You mean single mass flywheel with a sprung hub clutch disk. I don't recommend this approach on the 330. The M54b30 engine has some pretty wicked harmonics above 6k rpm and the general feeling is, lightweight flywheels make the problem worse. I would highly suggest a new dual mass unit.
Time for a new single mass clutch as well.
Bavarian Auto has a single mass flywheel that is not a light weight flywheel. It does weight less that the dual mass unit but still has some heft to it. They have a complete system.
Would you (Smolck) approve of this type of setup?
I looked at one on the TMS website, but it was really expensive and weighs 20lbs. Add $25 to the price for a 6 speed. I would use it though.

http://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-1020-grand-am-cup-legal-lightweight-steel-flywheel-e46-m3-330i-mz3-coupe-z4-30i.aspx
Bavarian Auto has a single mass flywheel that is not a light weight flywheel. It does weight less that the dual mass unit but still has some heft to it. They have a complete system.
Would you (Smolck) approve of this type of setup?
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.