BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
BMW + twisty road = fun
5,886 Posts
Thats the way all my sportier cars with manual tranies have been. Maybe its the closer tolerances or the heavy duty parts.

Just wait till it gets real cold... like below zero sometimes you have to force it in the gears until it warms up.

·
Touring with Traction
96 Posts
Yes, I find the 1-2 and the 2-3 upshift are stiff in the mornings - almost feels like slow synchros on the downshift in older manuals where there is a momentary resistance as you get into the gear.

Ironically, even when cool the downshifts in my 325 are very easy and smooth.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This isn't exactly what I meant. I realize it harder to get in gear when cold. What I mean is rather than a smooth transition from 1-2 and 2-3 I get more jerkiness than when the car is warm...possibly from being on a higher idle?

·
Head-In-Sand Dumbass
2,192 Posts
richard said:
This isn't exactly what I meant. I realize it harder to get in gear when cold. What I mean is rather than a smooth transition from 1-2 and 2-3 I get more jerkiness than when the car is warm...possibly from being on a higher idle?
Probably because the clutch is also cold and needs to warm up, as does the flywheel and the rest of the drivetrain. Don't worry, we all deal with it (those of us who have to deal with winter that is).

·
I like cookies.
18,102 Posts
Ripsnort said:
Personally, I warm it up for about 2 min. before driving.
How the hell is that going to change gearbox and differential temperature?

Anyway, this is a bit suprising. BMW uses thinner ATF fluid in manual gearboxes to improve cold weather shifting....

·
Head-In-Sand Dumbass
2,192 Posts
It definitely helps to have the car fully broken in (i.e. 10k miles or more). The drivetrain loosens up a bit. I've noticed this year it's much easier to shift, so much so I don't really notice the problem anymore.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Ripsnort said:
Personally, I warm it up for about 2 min. before driving.
The owners manual says not to do this - instead it recommends that you drive at moderate RPMs until the car reaches normal temp.

·
lurking
18,069 Posts
same problem here. just a pain to drive when the car is not warmed up. as for the 'lude. i've heard that honda does make some of the best manuals in the business. maybe bmw should be buying trannies from honda instead of zf/getrag

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
HW,
Yeah, I miss the Prelude's easy clutch. The gearbox is much better on the Bimmer. I will say that for the money Honda makes one incredible car. I did not make me smile everytime I drove it like the BMW however.

·
Into the dark ages
1,523 Posts
i'm guessing the transmission fluid hasn't warmed up yet and the viscosity of it is still a bit thick. what could be happening is lack of fluid/lubrication in the gears during this period so we are probably sliding the gears into place metal on metal. just a thought.

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
webguy330i said:
It definitely helps to have the car fully broken in (i.e. 10k miles or more). The drivetrain loosens up a bit. I've noticed this year it's much easier to shift, so much so I don't really notice the problem anymore.
I agree. After 10-15K, the clutch definitely gets easier to manage. Also, the sticky pedal fix help to eliminate the lurches you often get when shift from first or second.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.