BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Elastic is broken in map holder on back of driver's seat. I think I could fix it if I could get the plastic seatback off. Clips at the top of the seatback (visible by pulling the top of the seatback out) will release if the seatback slides up. This makes me think if I yank the bottom of the seat back out, I can then slide it up and off. But I don't want to break anything or buy a new seat. Any ideas?

·
Registered
191 Posts
All of mine broke from kids kicking them and they looked terrible. I drove a large wood screw through each corner. Looks decent and holds great. Was thinking about getting some matching model paint for the screw heads to blend them in a little but they didn't bother me and I have 3 kids kicking them so I will grin and bear it. Good luck with yours.

·
Registered
559 Posts
I think that I read somewhere that there are screws at the bottom of that back panel attaching it to the rear of the seat. After the screws are removed, the panel is pulled down or pushed up to unhook the clips. Gently, give it a try. If you can't find the screws, use a small mirror to look under the bottom rear area of the seat.

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
I think that I read somewhere that there are screws at the bottom of that back panel attaching it to the rear of the seat. After the screws are removed, the panel is pulled down or pushed up to unhook the clips. Gently, give it a try. If you can't find the screws, use a small mirror to look under the bottom rear area of the seat.
correcto. two screws at the bottom. I think there torx head screws.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info on the torx screws. I was about to give up when I found the screw head on the outside bottom behind the driver's seat behind the back panel. (the torx screw head on the inside will hopefully be accessable (sp?) as well) Now I have to find a torx head driver socket and use a short extension to get to the screw....no way to use a screwdriver type torx driver because the screw head is too close to floor for the length of the screw driver type driver, if this makes any sense. Do TORX screws come in metric sizes? I hope not but will find out tomorrow.

·
Registered
954 Posts
Size T20 Torx if I recall. Could be T25. Ace Hardware has a good set of Torx sockets ranging from ~T5 to T60 that I highly recommend.

Note: Not all seat types have the screws. If they don't, you need to push the seatback cover inward (toward center console) while simultaneously pulling outward (toward back seat).

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
Thanks for the info on the torx screws. I was about to give up when I found the screw head on the outside bottom behind the driver's seat behind the back panel. (the torx screw head on the inside will hopefully be accessable (sp?) as well) Now I have to find a torx head driver socket and use a short extension to get to the screw....no way to use a screwdriver type torx driver because the screw head is too close to floor for the length of the screw driver type driver, if this makes any sense. Do TORX screws come in metric sizes? I hope not but will find out tomorrow.
Tilt your seat all the up and forward and that will help with clearance to use a ratchet or torx screwdriver.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Finally figured out how to get the seatback off. There are a couple of torx screws near the bottom corners of the seats but they have nothing to do with the seatbacks which are held on by four clips. Will start a new thread on seatback map pocket repair.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts