Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since moving down to the Maryland area I haven't really had a chance to drop by any of the dealerships. I was just wondering what dealership in the area you would suggest? I'm in the Owings Mills area for a frame of reference....

Thanks,

Mark

·
Registered
290 Posts
Pix,
Weclome to the 'hood! I did a good amount of shopping in the area and ended up buying from Northwest. This was after going to Russell (with a much less than stellar experience) and before Towson BMW revamped. I just went to Towson BMW yesterday for my inspection I and was very impressed. They have about 100 BMs vs. Northwest's 25.

Also, my sales advisor from NW has since left so I cannot even refer you to her
:rolleyes:

Feel free to email me with more questions, or just post here.

·
OMGWTFBBQ
11,262 Posts
pixA4 said:
Since moving down to the Maryland area I haven't really had a chance to drop by any of the dealerships. I was just wondering what dealership in the area you would suggest? I'm in the Owings Mills area for a frame of reference....

Thanks,

Mark
I dealt with BMW of Towson when I put down a deposit on a MINI (long before their MINI franchise was operational). The first time in, the people were good to me. After that, I couldn't get my salesman to talk to me when I started to seriosuly look at the 325xiT. No one else there was particularly helpful either. I never went to Russell (the other Baltimore BMW dealer). I can't offer any opinion on service or parts at either dealership.

The DC area dealers have been talked about quite a bit here, but that's a pretty long trek from Owings Mills.

edit- doh! :banghead: forgot about northwest...I've only passed by, never gone in.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Yeah, I can only comment on NW's sales and service and Towson's service. I have had a copule of friends gripe about Russell's service. WTF can I contribute :dunno:

·
Registered
86 Posts
VOB in Rockville is worth the drive. They are GREAT!!

Kenny is one of the most knowledgable salesmen I have ever met. :thumbup:

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
iiotoko said:
VOB in Rockville is worth the drive. They are GREAT!!

Kenny is one of the most knowledgable salesmen I have ever met. :thumbup:
I have bought three cars from Kenny. I like Kenny. Hell, I even trust Kenny.

But don't get me started on their over capacity service department.

·
Registered
323 Posts
I bought my '01 330Ci from Schwing BMW in Baltimore City in Sept. '00, but unfortunately they have closed down since then and have been "absorbed" into the Northwest BMW organization in Owings Mills. Schwing gave me an unbeatable deal on the 330 (with full disclosure they were going to shut down within two years) and although the service dept. could a little unfriendly at times, they did great work whenever I needed something done, including the steering retrofit I had done in May '01.

I've been to NW a couple of times since they honor the loaner car commitment from Schwing, and also to Towson BMW. Haven't had a bad experience at either, but my observation is that you'd probably get a better deal at Towson due to the larger volume and maybe better service at NW for the opposite reason, but I'm just gussing...

I didn't care for my car-shopping experience at Russell or at Brooks (now Towson BMW), and didn't venture down to DC-area dealers.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Welcome to MD, great state :)

There is one in Owens Mills, I think Towson, I personally had worst experience with their salesmen and management. I won't do there.

I dealt extensively with VOB, and know them well. Suffice it to say, I won't go there for sales or service.

Tisher is not bad, but in 4th place after Arlington BMW.

3rd place is Arlington, good sales and service, but small lot and limited test driving roads around them. I always had great service at Arlington.

Tie for 1st place are Passport (Joern Esser is the best salesman I have ever dealt with, especially if you will do ED) and the new one that opened around Herndon, cannot remember their name right now. They have great showroom and great service department (including complementary complete car wash), but I was not too impressed with their sales department. However, they are in close relation with the local CCA and host events and so forth.

·
///Mpty pockets
1,963 Posts
Dear god don't go to Towson, don't even waste your time...they are *awful*!! PM me if you want me to go into detail.

Northwest is the closest dealer to you, they seem alright as long as you know exactly what you want. The sales crew that I talked to there were nice enough, but clueless. FYI they are the lowest volume dealer in the area.

Go over to Russel in Catonsville, find David Borum and you will be set. He knows about cars, gave me a fair deal with no 'add-ons' or suprises and is a club member to boot. As a plus he also knows how to handle special orders (which is something other salesman/dealers wouldn't touch).

I have only been to their service dep't a couple of times and have no complaints.

One more thing...their parts/service dept. are both open on Saturdays (the others aren't) and they give 15% off accessories for club members (Towson only gives 10%, and they mark everything up above MSRP..did I mention not to go there!). Russel is the area's top volume dealer for a reason.

·
Registered
6 Posts
MD dealers

Got mine at Northwest. Sure it's small. But hey, if you know what you want, and order it from Deutschland like I did -- no complaints. I actually liked the fact that the sales folks there DON'T wear business suits. :)

·
Color blind photographer
1,730 Posts
FlyingToaster said:
Welcome to MD, great state :)

Tie for 1st place are Passport (Joern Esser is the best salesman I have ever dealt with, especially if you will do ED)
I'll have to second the vote for Passport and Joern. They all treated me me with respect, gave me a very good price and have done terrific follow up. Joern really knows the cars and especially the European Delivery.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
I can reccommend VOB. I've known them for many years and just bought my M3 from Nan Wong there this summer. Others have favorite sales people there, so many are good. I think service is very much a two way street and all of the service departments are busy. I've also had good luck with VOB service, despite other's experience.

I spoke with Tisher about M3's and had very disturbing experience wrt their extensive markup. I wouldn't go near them for a purchase.

Welcome to Maryland.

·
Registered
232 Posts
do any of you guys use independent shops in the DC area ? maryland specifically.

I've been all around and can't seem to find a good mechanic, I used to drive up to Baltimore to use this guy Tim at Urban Auto in Ellicott City, he used to work at Russell then joined this outfit. Best part was he would work on saturday mornings just for me..

But in Rockville/Bethesda I've been to BMW Exlcuservice which is probably the best so far, Autowerke and Autoy (didn't go back cause while I was there bunch of customers were bringing their cars back a second time), Curry's (prices are hit or miss, they definitely take advantage of you when they can, but they run a 1st rate shop). Potomac motowerks, etc.

Really looking for a decent shop, let you bring your own parts, not charge you an arm and a leg to do mods (i seem to think they realize once you start mods you got some $$$ and charge out the ass) ,one where you can just hang and watch the work being done and accomodates. I really hate the "our next available appointment is a month from now, its $XXX more than the dealer, and drop it off at 7am and pick up by 4 you figure out how to get to and from"

jeff

·
Registered
104 Posts
Mark, are you looking for BMW or Audi dealers?

·
A sudden sense of liberty
3,939 Posts
beauport said:

I'll have to second the vote for Passport and Joern. They all treated me me with respect, gave me a very good price and have done terrific follow up. Joern really knows the cars and especially the European Delivery.
I'll third Passport. The sales staff is good, and pretty straightforward. They're willing to do reasonable prices without a lot of bullsh_t. The finance guys are above board. There are no hidden fees or surprises on delivery. And the service department is also good, though they don't do loaners very readily, which probably makes them a non-starter for someone who lives in Owings Mills.

If I buy another new BMW, it'll be from Passport.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I've had my car serviced at BMW Towson a few times and been very pleased. The replaced all 4 brakes and rotors after I complained of a slight vibration in the wheel when braking, and replaced the door seals on my coupe after I complained of wind noise. While my wife had the car they have also stayed past closing time on a Friday night to replace a light bulb and fuse. They even gave me a free t-shirt. On the other hand I tried to purchase a few used cars there and was less than impressed, yet that was over a year ago when they first opened and things might be better now. However, they are by far the largest dealer in the area and are worth a shot.

For the guy looking for an independent BMW mechanic; there is a place in Towson called Autobahn of Towson that only works on BMWs. I've heard very good things about the guy seconhand from owners of out of warranty cars.

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
als said:
Mark, are you looking for BMW or Audi dealers?
Thanks for the comments everyone! I appreciate it. I am looking for a BMW dealer...starting to think about finally getting one of 'em :D

·
Registered
11 Posts
Better Business Bureau

You might check out the better business bureau's site (bbb.org), then search the various dealerships for complaints. It won't tell you which dealer is best, but it'll give you a clue to the ones that stink.

Some of the problem dealers (or at least the ones frequently complained about on this site) show up as "unsatisfactory" based on the BBB's criteria.

Hope you find this helpful.

·
Registered
678 Posts
pixA4 said:
Since moving down to the Maryland area ...

Mark
:yikes:

I need to keep up with the boards more. When did that happen? I can't really give you any advice as I'm still in Taxachussetts. :(

·
Registered
47 Posts
If any of you guys and gals are in Maryland be warned, never have I ever had such a bad experience with a dealership as I did with BMW OF TOWSON. They were ABSOLUTELY HORRIBLE, no customer service, downright rude, arrogant and couldn't give a crap about anything. Needless to say I didn't buy my new BMW replacement from BMW of Towson. I will never ever give them my or any one I know our business ever again. (there is a story behind it)

The CPO 2000 328i that they sold me was a total LEMON!!
The car had to go in for service 3 days after I bought it as CPO. It had a slew of mechanical problems that should have been picked up during "certification". Then two weeks later while the car was STILL IN FOR SERVICE they scratched the car all up when removing snow. 3/4 of the car required a total repaint. They did a horrible job, overspray everywhere and then the paint started to peel off and they wouldn't even fix it. Horrible service, arrogant management and totally unethical business practices.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts