BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just to share with you my impression on a new Maserati Levante
My lease will be up in June 2017 and i started to look at new SUV on a market
The usual suspects are Q7, RR, PC and X5.overall i love my 2014 X5 50 M, but ready for a change.
Stopped at Maserati of Bergen county/ North NJ/
1st impression quite a stunning looking SUV, gorgeous lines, very sleek and much nicer than Gilbi inside.
Test drove S version/ 420 HP/ with sticker 95K, loaded version. Very, very impressive!!!!! Perfectly balanced, steering feel perfect/ no electro-mechanical bs/, acceleration great, air suspension works magic/ very similar to DHP in my X5/
Sound of the engine in a sport mode is absolutely unbelievable.
Overall very impressed.
Obvious concerns are reliability and poor residual value
Please comment
Alex

·
'12 X5 35d Black-on-Black
1,917 Posts
which chassis is it built on? how much of it are dodge/jeep/ram components?
Unforatunely, it DOES share a LOT with the Cheeroke including the chassis. For the price, the Macan is the same size and a better buy (I can't believe I actually said that...).

PS - I am thinking of replacing my current X5d with a Jag F-Pace but the Mas dealer is next door. The Levante is pretty good looking but no way I would pay $100K for a Jeep with a different shell dropped on top of it. I LOVED my old '81 CJ7 but other family members have had to replace & repair WAY too many rattles, broken suspension, etc to ever consider another JEEP.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Unforatunely, it DOES share a LOT with the Cheeroke including the chassis. For the price, the Macan is the same size and a better buy (I can't believe I actually said that...).

PS - I am thinking of replacing my current X5d with a Jag F-Pace but the Mas dealer is next door. The Levante is pretty good looking but no way I would pay $100K for a Jeep with a different shell dropped on top of it. I LOVED my old '81 CJ7 but other family members have had to replace & repair WAY too many rattles, broken suspension, etc to ever consider another JEEP.
Unfortunately your lack of knowledge leads you to a wrong conclusion
Maserati is built on unique own platform, that SUV shares with Quadroporte and Ghilbi. It is a well known fact.
Alex

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sorry for misspelling Ghibli and Quattroporte.

·
Registered
926 Posts
Unforatunely, it DOES share a LOT with the Cheeroke including the chassis.

...pretty good looking but no way I would pay $100K for a Jeep with a different shell dropped on top of it. I LOVED my old '81 CJ7 but other family members have had to replace & repair WAY too many rattles, broken suspension, etc to ever consider another JEEP.

Unfortunately your lack of knowledge leads you to a wrong conclusion
Maserati is built on unique own platform, that SUV shares with Quadroporte and Ghilbi. It is a well known fact.
Alex
Well, The Google suggests you're both probably right:

IN 2011, 2011, Sergio Marchionne said the new Maserati would be based on a Jeep *Grand* (not regular) Cherokee: http://www.allpar.com/trucks/jeep/maserati.html

Those are different Jeep products: the Cherokee (cute ute, X1/X3 competitor) vs. Grand Cherokee (full sized SUV, competes directly with the X5). Different cars, different production lines.

It doesn't say, but presumably the 2011 thinking was a Maserati based on the JGC WK2 from the Jefferson North plant's tooling. More on that later.

http://www.trucktrend.com/news/1408-maserati-levante-suv-mule-spied-reportedly-ditches-jeep-chassis/

In the last five years, they've had a change of heart, it seems, for exactly the reason ndabunka suggests. Maserati spent time developing their own platform, or they claim they did. There was concern that "nobody is going to pay $100k for a Maserati Jeep."

That assumption may be a mistake, though. Jeep itself is also rumored to be introducing a new Jeep Wagoneer product at an elite price point, which might be as high as $140k, to land in 2018:

http://www.carscoops.com/2016/10/2018-jeep-grand-wagoneer-could-be.html

Of note, the new Maserati SAV can apparently tow 3 tons, the same as my 40e:

http://www.topspeed.com/cars/maserati/2016-maserati-levante-ar144113.html

...that puts it in fairly rare air. Porsche Macans, for example, can't tow a big boat. The MB GLC has a de-rated tow capacity in North America.

Which brings us back to the drivetrain. The WK2, F15, and new Maserati all have ZF transmissions, with slightly different implementations. There's been a great deal of drama with regard to FCA's cooling and software programming choices in their ZF partnership, and with the resulting behavior of that ZF-FCA transmission family. Google Anton Yelchin, for example. I'm delighted with BMW's implementation of the ZF hardware, but I think it's sourced from Europe. Since I have a 40e, mine is also inherently different. FCA bought an entire plant from ZF, rather than buying trannies per unit. It'll be interesting to see what sort of longevity and teething problems the ZF8 has in Maserati's hands.

·
Registered
926 Posts
This is very interesting because we have a 2015 GC Overland and I just got my X5 yesterday.
Those were my last two choices: 2016 (same car) JGC diesel vs. BMW 40e. You have the 6-cyl. If you have both in your garage, 'll be curious to hear which one you prefer, through time.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts