BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
973 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A BMW dealer is refusing to give me a quote unless I give them my zip code. They claim:

"The zipcode pricing matrix is based on geographic and demographic factors."

This would be my fourth BMW lease in the past seven years and always gotten quotes before I have the dealer my location.

Does anyone know anything about it?

·
Resident Curmudgeon
23,354 Posts
By "dealer" you mean "one SA at a dealership"?

Id find a person at the dealership that isnt giving out quotes using some canned software than needs a zip code.....

But first I would explain that I have a polcy of not dealing with companies that play games with pricing based on where I live and 'demographics'...and maybe mention that it sounds like it might be illegal.

·
Registered
973 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
There are very few 2016 X3 with the equipment we require in the northeast. We are
talking about 4-5 cars from PA/NJ to MA/NH. Most appear to have been punched and most dealers do not exchange them with other dealers since I assumed that they don't want to pass the punched discount.

My local dealer has been great and is giving me a great discount but the two cars we tried to get were sold even though they were still showing up on the locator. We are now left with a hail damaged car and they will truck down from Boston but my wife is uncomfortable taking it.

That puts me in the position to intentify the punched cars and deal with the dealer directly.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
23,354 Posts
Why not order?

·
Freedom isn't free!!
19,798 Posts
A BMW dealer is refusing to give me a quote unless I give them my zip code. They claim:

"The zipcode pricing matrix is based on geographic and demographic factors."

This would be my fourth BMW lease in the past seven years and always gotten quotes before I have the dealer my location.

Does anyone know anything about it?
They are straight up lying to you.

·
Premium Member
2,120 Posts
They are straight up lying to you.
Never heard of this in 10 years.

Buuut, I do ask for Zip Codes for lease quotes as I need it for tax purposes.

But I just ask, "What's your zip code? I need that to calculate taxes."

Seems somewhat less confusing ... I think?

mjb

·
Registered
973 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I wanted to know how much under invoice I could get a 2016 X3. The tax doesn't even come into play. It was BMW of Newport, RI.

I just think it was a game they play. I didn't give them the info. They have a lousy internet sales department.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
23,354 Posts
Because of the residual difference on 2017 and maintenance reduction to 36,000 miles
You are leasing past 36k? How much maintenance do you expect between 36k and least turn in?

I guess the calculus will be 'is there a 2016 I can settle for AND get a decent price from the dealer that has it' versus 'getting what you want from anyone that will deal.'

·
///Monkeyazz Duck
7,693 Posts
First, be very leery of BMW Newport. I negotiated a good deal (but not an insanely good deal) on a car I ordered. It arrived and I get a call from the GSM: "we couldn't POSSIBLY give you that deal. I don't care if you have it in writing. The best we can do is XXXXX.". They tried to jack up both the cap cost and the MF, and I told them to stick it.

My guess is they want your Zip code to determine how far you will be driving to pick up the X3 with what you THINK is a deal. The longer the drive, the more they can jack up the price without you storming out the door and driving home EMPTY handed.

Second, why in the world would you ask a dealer to quote you a price? Do your research,then email the dealer your offer: the price you will pay ($X, XXX over or under invoice, MF, calculated monthly payment, etc.). They will counter your offer, and you can either negotiate or walk.

Third,what's your time worth? Why not work with a Board sponsor who can see what is grounded or on a boat, and let him or her give you a smoking deal and arrange for courtesy delivery? You're doing this the hard way.

·
Freedom isn't free!!
19,798 Posts
First, be very leery of BMW Newport. I negotiated a good deal (but not an insanely good deal) on a car I ordered. It arrived and I get a call from the GSM: "we couldn't POSSIBLY give you that deal. I don't care if you have it in writing. The best we can do is XXXXX.". They tried to jack up both the cap cost and the MF, and I told them to stick it.

My guess is they want your Zip code to determine how far you will be driving to pick up the X3 with what you THINK is a deal. The longer the drive, the more they can jack up the price without you storming out the door and driving home EMPTY handed.

Second, why in the world would you ask a dealer to quote you a price? Do your research,then email the dealer your offer: the price you will pay ($X, XXX over or under invoice, MF, calculated monthly payment, etc.). They will counter your offer, and you can either negotiate or walk.

Third,what's your time worth? Why not work with a Board sponsor who can see what is grounded or on a boat, and let him or her give you a smoking deal and arrange for courtesy delivery? You're doing this the hard way.
One small note about courtesy delivery - dealers may or may not agree to do one, they're not required to do them, and they very well may charge a fee to do one, typically $500 - $1,000.

·
Registered
973 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)

I have been very successful with my last four leases using email only and refusing to give the dealer my phone number. I did not ask them for a selling price, I asked how much "under invoice." They are less likely to BS you if you only communicate by email. Once Newport started the matrix BS, they were eliminated.

·
///Monkeyazz Duck
7,693 Posts
One small note about courtesy delivery - dealers may or may not agree to do one, they're not required to do them, and they very well may charge a fee to do one, typically $500 - $1,000.
True. But I'd rather get a great deal from Adrian or Greg Poland and pay $500 to have it delivered, than spend hours and hours chasing mystery deals at mystery dealerships on cars which may or may not be available. It all comes down to what your time is worth.

·
Registered
973 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It was more complicated than that, I was looking for 2016 X3 with DA+, Lighting and other packages. There were only a handful in the northeast. Most of them were punched and most dealers to not swap punched cars. Anyway, it looks like I am going to order a 2017.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts