BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This may be a strange choice in cars, but I am contemplating between the new Toyota Avalon and the new 2006 325i for a new car. They offer completely different values, but are both great cars. I guess my question would be, what are the benefits of the beemer over the big Avalon?

·
Registered
118 Posts
shodan209 said:
This may be a strange choice in cars, but I am contemplating between the new Toyota Avalon and the new 2006 325i for a new car. They offer completely different values, but are both great cars. I guess my question would be, what are the benefits of the beemer over the big Avalon?
Pretty much just passion for hard driving. With the Avalon, Toyota have pretty much made the perfect (sanitized) 4 door transportation for the masses. It is a fine automobile, and should last many years. I just know it isn't as fun or involving to drive. My father in law has a 3 year old Avalon, and we used to have a Camry in the family, so I speak from experience.

I hate to say this but the Avalon is probably a smarter choice economically speaking, but it's kind of like marrying an average looking doctor versus the hot dancer. You will probably be better off marrying the doctor, but you might still regret it! :rofl:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
CC 330i said:
Pretty much just passion for hard driving. With the Avalon, Toyota have pretty much made the perfect (sanitized) 4 door transportation for the masses. It is a fine automobile, and should last many years. I just know it isn't as fun or involving to drive. My father in law has a 3 year old Avalon, and we used to have a Camry in the family, so I speak from experience.

I hate to say this but the Avalon is probably a smarter choice economically speaking, but it's kind of like marrying an average looking doctor versus the hot dancer. You will probably be better off marrying the doctor, but you might still regret it! :rofl:
Ha! That is the best analogy I could've expected. That is exactly what it boils down to. And you're right, they both could be bad choices in the end, or good for that matter. What a great response - thanks. It actually cleared it up for me. I think I prefer dancers to tell you the truth. I'm sure once I drive the bmw it'll be an easy decision. We'll see - thanks.

·
Registered
391 Posts
The new Avalon has taken a step further into performance and handling comparing the the previous model, so it's probably much less boring to drive, but not yet as compelling as a 3-Series.

·
Registered
3,552 Posts
The Avalon is also a lot larger...so you won't get that "slot car" feel of the 3er.

You drive the BMW....the Avalon drives you.

·
Registered
302 Posts
I too was contemplating the Avalon before deciding on the 325. It really comes down to what the fundamentals : image, size/price & performance.
Image: Toyota Avalons core market comes from people who are 52~60 yrs old. The newly designed Avalons hopes to attract younger car owners, but who are still in the late 40s. If you are hip & young and are conscious of image, this is a car you would have to pass and go for the hipper 3 series. Coz, you won't get a lot of stares from this car unless you are retired & expecting your 1st grandchild.

Size/Price: I -like- big cars and I cannot lie.. haha. And certainly avalon fits that. It has a roomy backseat, comes with full trimmings like adjustable rear seats. and all under 36K. That's impressive. A 325 fully loaded will cost you closer to 40K. And the rear seats will be a little cramp especially if the person in front of you is 6ft 2" and taller. And it doesn't help when the front seats have a hard plastic backing-- which makes it ultra uncomfortable for the rear passenger when it comes into contact with their knees. Both interiors of the car looks and feel expensive.

Performance: I only test drove the 325, and it is zippy and highly maneuverable. The 214 hp measurement is taken from the rear fly-wheel, as opposed to lexus /toyota and other manufacturers, who measure from the front. (according to my sales rep). So if you want to compare apples to apples, think of the 325 as having 244 ponies. That's pretty good for a small car. As for the 280hp Avalon, I am not sure how it will fare up.. though the car is bigger and heavier.

As for me, I ended up opting for the 325. Even though it may be smaller, I think my wife will enjoy it very much, plus it is fun to drive. I will just have to wait until I pile up some more cash to splurge on a bigger car like the 5 series or Inifiniti M35.

-spaceman

·
Registered
160 Posts
I was shocked and apalled that you were asking a question such as this one until I read that you hadn't yet driven the 325. Once you drive it there should be no doubt in your mind which one you want. And I mean that it could go either way but the drive should seal the deal for you.

If you have the space requirements that the Avalon serves then you just can't use the 3. If you don't need the space of an Avalon, then why not go for a slightly smaller or sportier car, even if its not the Bimmer. Maybe a Mazda 6. Or like someone else suggested the 300C.

·
Registered
2,590 Posts
Drive them both you must

I was a traditional Honda Toyota man my whole life. Then out of curiosity, I drove the 3 series (E46) and I was hooked.

·
I love my beautiful wife.
2,151 Posts
Just the fact that you've asked such a question proves a BMW may not be for you. These two cars have absolutley nothing in common. I think you would be happier with the Toyota.

Unless, of course, you're a badge whore!!!

BTW...have you noticed the back of the new Avalon looks very similar to an E60??

·
Registered
507 Posts
alpinewhite325i said:
Just the fact that you've asked such a question proves a BMW may not be for you. These two cars have absolutley nothing in common. I think you would be happier with the Toyota.
Yeah, if u like big car, 325 certianly won't fit. If you consider Avalon, I don't know if fun to drive is your priority. :dunno:

·
Bimmer back, Bimmer back
1,603 Posts
Yeah, you can't compare these cars at all. If you want the performance of the 3 series but need the space of an avalon, it's hard to get without spending alot of money. Though, I think the Acura RL is probably the best bang for the buck compromise. If you want to meet more in the middle, the Acura TL is a mid-sized sedan, so it has more space than the 3. It's definitely in your price range (32-34K) and comes decked out with all sorts of options. It has a nice v-tec engine and will provide plenty of power. Though, it still won't be anything like a 3 for handling, it will certainly be better than the avalon. IMO a lot cooler too.

I've always thought Acura is a great middleground in the premium auto market. You might want to check them out.

·
Registered
132 Posts
CC 330i said:
Nice analogy, but I think it's not quite accurate. I would say it's like a choice between marrying a 40 year-old accomplished, average-looking doctor vs a 25 year old smart, gorgeous woman who's just out of med school and who happens to be an avid athlete with a stunning figure and moonlights as a dancer ;)

·
Registered
84 Posts
shodan209 said:
If you want pieces of both the Avalon and the 325, my suggestion is to wait until the Lexus IS350 is released. IS350 has the Avalon engine, but will hopefully drive like the bimmer, well almost as it has always been the case with the competitors.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Avalon? You mean TOYOTA? :)
Maybe its just because I am not in my 30s and dont have kids;
SORRY my mind refuses to deal with a choice concerning TOYOTA vs BMW :)
LOVE THE HOT MODEL vs AVERAGE LOOKING DOCTOR analogy
I am gonna take it another level: how about LAP DANCER vs ADULT MOVIE STAR?
No offense though - drove COROLLA and AVENSIS(i believe thats a CAMRY here) for a long time
Hands down best car in the economical/no problem car category

·
Registered
2011 X5 diesel, 371,000kms as of May 2021
875 Posts
Have you test driven both? The Avalon has been getting TONS of great reviews. Since you're in Florida winter is no issue. Do you drive LOTS of miles? I think the Avalon is probably a good daily driver with good comfort issues. The E90 is comfortable too, especially the Sport Package. The gas mileage on the Avalon will be good too, apparently it's close to the Bimmer. The Bimmer obviously wins in the handling department, but they're different sized cars, no contest there. I would consider an Avalon, but I'm not fed up with my Subaru by a long stretch. When you're doing the major miles, a daily driver calls for comfort, silence, safety, all-weatherness ('specially up here in Canada) and gas mileage. Apparently the Avalon's stereo is awesome.

Oh yeah, and I believe Toyota's record with reliability is good too.

·
I do'nt make mistakes.
10,478 Posts
shodan209 said:
I guess my question would be, what are the benefits of the beemer over the big Avalon?
Drive both. If you can still honestly ask the question again, buy the Toyota. Its a fine car and I'd recommend one to my friends and relatives. Me, I can't imagine going back to a generic car again. Can you imagine tracking an Avalon?

·
bmw330pp
1,545 Posts
Another thing to consider is that the BMW has 4yrs/50k scheduled service. So you will most likely make the price difference up for the Avalon there. Another car that has the same warranty as BMW is Audi. They cost less than bimmers and are very nice cars. I do believe the audi is smaller than both the bimmer and toyota though. Finally, if you are going to buy a jap car, go with the Acura. I have true respect for Honda's.........still miss my civic :cry:

·
Registered
111 Posts
cwsqbm said:
Drive both. If you can still honestly ask the question again, buy the Toyota. Its a fine car and I'd recommend one to my friends and relatives. Me, I can't imagine going back to a generic car again. Can you imagine tracking an Avalon?
I'm so bummed guys. I mean sure the Japanese Delivery experience was completely amazing (the gaisha girl client advisors were a real nice touch) but the weeks of waiting for my beautiful baby to reach our golden shores has been maddening! I check aislive at least five times a day to plot the course of the Nippon Express on her way here and I have a fresh cup of sake to add to the gas tank to welcome her home (I've read a blog on the Internet that says it's good for breaking in Japanese engines.) I just can't wait until I can cruise down the left lane at 55mph with my 2.5 kids in the back in my shiny new white Toyota just like the 15 million other ones on the road.

·
Bimmer back, Bimmer back
1,603 Posts
equipto76 said:
I'm so bummed guys. I mean sure the Japanese Delivery experience was completely amazing (the gaisha girl client advisors were a real nice touch) but the weeks of waiting for my beautiful baby to reach our golden shores has been maddening! I check aislive at least five times a day to plot the course of the Nippon Express on her way here and I have a fresh cup of sake to add to the gas tank to welcome her home (I've read a blog on the Internet that says it's good for breaking in Japanese engines.) I just can't wait until I can cruise down the left lane at 55mph with my 2.5 kids in the back in my shiny new white Toyota just like the 15 million other ones on the road.
:rofl:

Yes, the Avalon is a nice car...

For me to poop on!

:bigpimp:

1 - 20 of 30 Posts