Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10,668 Posts
If they were really aiming for BMW in the first place, they'd turn those engines and transmissions longitudinally and put in a nice long driveshaft to the rear axle. With the exception of the Miata. Mazda builds FWD economy cars and FWD-based CUV's, and the biggest player in the FWD economy car and FWD-based CUV game is Toyota.

Mazda is in the middle of an identity crisis after parting from Ford, with whom they shared most of their platforms. So, they're having to start with a clean sheet of paper (or AutoCAD file) for any new platform.

They had to partner with FCA to finance the development of the current Miata. That's how the current FIAT 124 came about.

Now, if BMW was targeting Mazda as a design benchmark... I'd be more worried than I already am about BMW.

I found the Mazda 5 mini-minivan intriguing, as an urban appliance car. If they'd still been selling those in the US, I would have forced Frau Putzer to go look at one before getting her X3..... which so far has only been used as an... urban appliance car.

Attachments

·
Lost but making good time
'11 335xi; '03 330Ci
5,615 Posts
They might rethink that decision when they get their mitts on a 7th-generation 3er (G20). Early reports are it's lighter, sharper, and more engaging than the F30...in a month or two, we'll know whether it's enough so to correct the artificiality claimed by that article. (A claim I agree with, in general.)

·
Found the Search Button
2014 i3 BEV
1,771 Posts
I’ve had a chance to drive a few different G platform loaners lately between recalls and CPO repairs and unless the new G20 is significantly better than all those other cars, color me unimpressed.

Then again, is BMW as a brand still comparatively more engaging than other brands’ offerings right now?

When looking for the baby hauler we were trying to decide between the E70 X5 and the CX-5. The Mazda handles nicely, but was really slow, too slow. The (used) X5 was cheaper than the CX-5 and was still hands down a more fun, better appointed car. That said, I doubt I would have had nearly the issues I’ve had.

Sent from my iPad using Bimmerfest

·
Registered
2017 M2 and 2017 Mustang
2,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I believe that the F series missed the mark entirely, and in so doing BMW lost out on about 7 years of quality "BMWness" that most other companies had previously benchmarked. I can certainly understand them no longer looking at BMW handling and feel as something they would want to emulate. I don't believe that BMW engines or horsepower were ever really that big of a concern for competitors, so not likely anything they really strove to match. I can say that the interior of a BMW has for generations been pretty boring and definitely not anything that any other company would even want to emulate. With all that being said, I am still seriously considering trading my modified 335is for a new/er M2.

·
Registered
405 Posts
From what I read, Toyota used the current 3 series as a benchmark for the Camry and I think they did pretty well.

·
Registered
5,991 Posts
Yeah I think BMW is using Lexus as a benchmark for the past
10 years .
Plus things like forcing Run flat tires on you and no physical
dipstick turns a lot of car guys off.
when I drove and F30 Camry popped into my head right away.

·
Registered
3,311 Posts
They might rethink that decision when they get their mitts on a 7th-generation 3er (G20). Early reports are it's lighter, sharper, and more engaging than the F30...in a month or two, we'll know whether it's enough so to correct the artificiality claimed by that article. (A claim I agree with, in general.)

I have been a BMW fan long before the 'Yuppie' label was first applied to its owners and BMW's advertising agency invented 'The Ultimate Driving Machine' moniker!
My perception, having actually experienced the entire evolution of E30 through the F30, is that every other model series of the 3 Series is somewhat of a dud, at least IMHO. That Mazda dismissed BMW as a standard bearer, is no surprise in view of the F30, and would be of no significance to me. The preliminary read of the G30 seems that BMW corrected itself again, after a dud in the series' OTOH, the newest 7 Series seems to have taken on the role of 'dud' for BMW. Maybe the company has lost its edge, in losing sight of 'performance' in favor of 'grow market share' mass market appeal.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I***8217;ve had a chance to drive a few different G platform loaners lately between recalls and CPO repairs and unless the new G20 is significantly better than all those other cars, color me unimpressed.

Then again, is BMW as a brand still comparatively more engaging than other brands***8217; offerings right now?

When looking for the baby hauler we were trying to decide between the E70 X5 and the CX-5. The Mazda handles nicely, but was really slow, too slow. The (used) X5 was cheaper than the CX-5 and was still hands down a more fun, better appointed car. That said, I doubt I would have had nearly the issues I***8217;ve had.

Sent from my iPad using Bimmerfest
I was in the same boat when looking for a baby/family vehicle. I'm loyal to my Suzuki motorcycles and my BMW cars. I had a supercharged E46 and 335is Vert at the time, so I figured to add an X5 to the family, but prudence dictated that I look at other cars/suvs/cuvs, to make sure I was making a good/best decision for my baby/family. Eventually it came down to an X5 vs. CX-5. As much as I wanted an X5, the CX-5 was the better choice for my needs. You say it's "too slow," and sure it's not a "fast" car by sportscar means, but it's "fast" enough when you're hauling around such precious cargo (your baby, the wife not-so-much, haha!). For me, if I want "fast," I''d take out my 335is Vert. If I want even faster, then it's my Suzuki GSX-R750. And if I want ultimate fast and fun, then it's my GSX-R600 Trackbike on racetracks near me - NJMP, NYST, Palmer, Thompson, Pocono.

All said and done, I really like my CX-5, and I think I have too much fun while baby/wife are in there as-is.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
I wouldn't trade either of your cars for an F or a G series. There's nothing engaging in electric steering. The 911 GTS is close but no cigar, my 328xi steering is a lot more lively and the M3 blows it away. The chassis is a different story...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts