BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Spelling Impaired
5,658 Posts
ChrisTO said:
what's with the tape...
It serves as a cheap camoflage by breaking up the lines of the car and make them harder for your eye to track and thus harder for people to get a grasp of the true styling of the car.

Camoflage military uniforms work the same way. Those splotchy patterns of browns and greens do more than just "make you look like a tree" from a coloring standpoint. The human eye is attracted to straight lines and edges so those patterns serve to break up the straight lines and the shape of the person. I have been standing still in vegitation in my BDU's and had people walk by close enough for me to stick my M-16 barrel up their nose and they never saw me!:D

Same principle applies with the tape. In fact, the pattern they used on that Merc looks a lot like pattern the Allies (esp. the Brittish) used on thier battle ships during WWII so that they would be harder to spot on the open seas.

·
Spelling Impaired
5,658 Posts
ChrisTO said:
maybe Chris Bangle's new job could be coming up with camoflage designs. :)
I think you may be on to something...maybe thats the ultimate purpose of all those funny lines and creases has has designed into all the new models. Its a new form of subtle urban camoflage!

Your eye thinks it detects a new BMW, but thanks to the design you eye can't really focus on the shape for you brain to figure out what it is :D

·
Traffic Surgeon
2,317 Posts
Desertnate said:

It serves as a cheap camoflage by breaking up the lines of the car and make them harder for your eye to track and thus harder for people to get a grasp of the true styling of the car.

Camoflage military uniforms work the same way. Those splotchy patterns of browns and greens do more than just "make you look like a tree" from a coloring standpoint. The human eye is attracted to straight lines and edges so those patterns serve to break up the straight lines and the shape of the person. I have been standing still in vegitation in my BDU's and had people walk by close enough for me to stick my M-16 barrel up their nose and they never saw me!:D

Same principle applies with the tape. In fact, the pattern they used on that Merc looks a lot like pattern the Allies (esp. the Brittish) used on thier battle ships during WWII so that they would be harder to spot on the open seas.
Great explanation! It sure works here too..! Should be a cool car when it comes out.

·
Ölmeßstabmeister
762 Posts
For what its worth, I don't think the pics were taken in NJ... While it has NJ plates on it, the background in the pics looks more like Arizona, but it might be Death Valley... My guess is they were doing some hot weather testing...

One thing about the photos is the stance -- its very similar to a Viper. I wonder if there's some component sharing going on within DC?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.