BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
It seems illogical how BMW has setup MDM activation in the M3. Logically, in my mind, the car should be selectable 3 ways: safe - default, intermediate - via tranny tunnel settings, track - M drive. So if you want to be a little bit more aggressive on the street, you can quickly select it with the buttons on the tranny tunnel without having to resort to the much more slower way of going through iDrive settings.

This makes sense with the Engine and EDC settings. To select intermediate Power and EDC settings, you just hit the buttons on the console. However, to select intermediate DSC, which I read to be MDM, you can't select that with the DSC button. The only thing you can do with DSC on the tranny tunnel is turn it off - meaning, it goes to the most dangerous setting.

I've been finding that I'm getting the DSC to activate on some of the street corners I take, but would prefer to let the wheels slip a little more, let the M-Diff do its thing, but have a nanny in case I'm really out of my depth. I guess I can set the M Drive to just have MDM on, but I want to use M Drive for a much more aggressive setting.

I appreciate any thoughts and suggestions.

·
doh!!!
3,188 Posts
doesn't bug me but your suggestion does make sense. I always push the M button when I first get in the car, MDM is enabled with it for me. I prefer the sport steering and throttle.

When I go to the track, I modify my M button settings so DSC is off(also change EDC to Sport).

·
Registered
8,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I wish I had your bravado or skill. I'm the type of person who finds the limit by making mistakes. I just don't want it to be costly :).

1 - 3 of 3 Posts