BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Meaning of Nav System Screen Labels?

1168 6
I'm enjoying a cross-country trip in my 2012 535xi. The Nav system has been working beautifully for me. However, I am curious about how the screens are labeled: 2.5 miles, 10 miles, 25 miles, etc. While these labels certainly do indicate a difference in area covered, I can see no actual relationship between these numbers and distance shown on the routes on the display. Can anyone help me decode this?
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
There's a line under the miles label, about 1" long I believe. The scale is showing you that that 1" line represents the mileage chosen. So if you have 1 mile set, the 1 mile is indicated by the length of that line. Likewise, when you change to like 5 mile range, that same 1" is now showing you a distance of 5 miles, and so on. It's like a paper map, the line I'm referring to is your scale of the map, and that changes as you select different ranges.
Thanks for a very helpful answer. I'll use that in my final 500 mile segment into Healdsburg, CA tomorrow.
There's a line under the miles label, about 1" long I believe. The scale is showing you that that 1" line represents the mileage chosen. So if you have 1 mile set, the 1 mile is indicated by the length of that line. Likewise, when you change to like 5 mile range, that same 1" is now showing you a distance of 5 miles, and so on. It's like a paper map, the line I'm referring to is your scale of the map, and that changes as you select different ranges.
Cool. I've driven with this nav system for five years or so and still hadn't figured out the answer to OP's question. Thanks!
Its the same as mapquest or google map :)
Whoa.... please tell us more. Miles and days and MPG average to start out with. :)
I'm enjoying a cross-country trip in my 2012 535xi.
So far just over 2000 miles in a leisurely four days from Minneapolis on Interstate 35 and then Interstate 80 with stops at Kearney, NE, Rock Springs, WY, Winnemucca, NV, and now at a week-long stay in Healdsburg, CA, right in the middle of Sonoma County wine country. Nebraska, Wyoming, Utah, and Nevada all have mostly 75 mph speed limits on I80, and California a bit less. Mostly I cruised along at 75 since I wasn't in a hurry. Tried 100 mph for a bit on an empty, smooth stretch in Wyoming. The car felt great, and hardly any different than at 75. MPG average at average speed of around 72 was 29 or 30, depending on flat or mountain situation.

In a week I will move on to the North Coast of California for a week's stay in Mendocino on California Highway 1, which has to be the best drive in the United States (scene of a huge percentage of auto TV commercials). More of a chance to experience handling on twisties than i had on the long straights in the plains.

I love the car. Yes, it may have some quirks, but I think they are insignificant in a driving experience like this. (Hard to complain about ASS when going 75 and only stopping now and then for sightseeing, food, rest or gas).
Whoa.... please tell us more. Miles and days and MPG average to start out with. :)
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.