Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
I was told by my mechanic that my 535 x drive 2011 would benefit from a walnut blasting / intake carbon cleaning.

I am located in South Florida and someone advertising this service on this forum and other BMW forum had good reviews. I gave him a call and set up the appointment. I was suprised to show up at his adress and see that he was working from his home garage and not in a commercial space. From his reviews and how he behaved i gave him benefit of the doubt. Few hrs later I go to pick up my car and he tells me car wont start.

Its now been 1 week, my usual mechanic can't seem to be able to fix the problem or find out what happened. He reset the codes on my car and the car was able to turn on but would run in limp mode( no turbo)

So I decided to take my car to the BMW dealership.

My question is, if this guy messed up my engine, he's responsible for the damages and repairs correct ?

I'm not sure what he plans to do in case there's major repair bill, if he will pay them or try to shift the blame.

My car was in immaculate condition. Engine was so smooth you couldn't even hear it when the car was turned on. I take care ogthis car like my baby and put quite some money into it. I haven't been able to sleep correctly all week, I'm even dreaming about my car 馃様

Nuclear engineer
02/2012 X5 35d M57Y CPO 98K miles NOKIAN WR G3 12K miles
Responsibility? Depends on the contract and the details of Florida consumer protection law. Your question is better addressed to your personal attorney.

I suggest that when one seeks personal services that one seek a contractor that is licensed and insured - and can document them.

Registered
E90 : 09 328xi N51 E46: 05 325xi M54
First you need to find out what鈥檚 actually wrong with it. Take it to a dealer and have them diagnose it. The codes your mechanic reset- those would have been handy in helping diagnose the issue, as well as current codes (if it鈥檚 in limp mode-you will have codes) it could be something as simple as something not plugged in. So the first step is finding out what actually wrong with. Second step is determining if he was at fault. It doesn鈥檛 matter how immaculate your car is...it鈥檚 still 10 years old. Almost any part on that car can fail at that age. If the guy is highly recommended and has a good reputation hopefully he will stand behind his work and make things right IF he is at fault. My guess is either something didnt get plugged in, or you have a part that has failed. If you feel he is at fault and can鈥檛 come to a mutual resolution then your next step would be a lawyer and small claims court.
What all work did he do?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nuclear engineer
... your next step would be a lawyer and small claims court.
Attorneys are not generally allowed in small claims court.

Registered
E90 : 09 328xi N51 E46: 05 325xi M54
Attorneys are not generally allowed in small claims court.
Ok so how about
鈥淵our next step would be an attorney OR small claims court鈥

Nuclear engineer

Registered
Discussion Starter #7
First you need to find out what鈥檚 actually wrong with it. Take it to a dealer and have them diagnose it. The codes your mechanic reset- those would have been handy in helping diagnose the issue, as well as current codes (if it鈥檚 in limp mode-you will have codes) it could be something as simple as something not plugged in. So the first step is finding out what actually wrong with. Second step is determining if he was at fault. It doesn鈥檛 matter how immaculate your car is...it鈥檚 still 10 years old. Almost any part on that car can fail at that age. If the guy is highly recommended and has a good reputation hopefully he will stand behind his work and make things right IF he is at fault. My guess is either something didnt get plugged in, or you have a part that has failed. If you feel he is at fault and can鈥檛 come to a mutual resolution then your next step would be a lawyer and small claims court.
What all work did he do?

AT this moment I can't say if yes at fault or not. I have to wait for BMW dealership to tell me what happened.
What all work did he do?

Yes your right. I have to find out first. I'm clueless right now, but just wanted to know my rights

If its not a fault of his own, ill own up to it.

Certifiable BMW Whackjob!
Wow this is getting hard to keep up with, 4 threads now and you either created or posted to 3 of them yesterday.
It certainly appears that mechanic likely did something wrong if it was driving ok when you took it in, but even places highly recommended can make a mistake every once in a while. You may be getting ahead of yourself with legal action, Find the problem first.

Posted through Tapatalk downloaded to my neural implant

1 - 8 of 8 Posts