BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The transmission on my 1998 318ti is going out and I want to replace it. Does anyone in the San Francisco Bay Area know of or can recommend an honest mechanic (or dealership) that can help me? East Bay BMW quoted me around $6,000 a few months ago. Any help/advice/tips is appreciated. Thanks!

·
TMS
9,288 Posts
Give Edge Motorworks over in Dublin a call. I know they replaced the transmission in a 540 for considerably less than $6000 - I would think a 318 would be even less.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks! I will check those links out.

·
Registered
226 Posts
If you're still looking, try Palo Alto Bimmer, right near Stanford. I used to take my '01 325i there after warranty ran out (and before I upgraded to my '08 535i), and they were always very honest, reasonably priced, and efficient. I remember always seeing a bunch of older BMWs there, so I think a 318 would be no problem for them.

·
Registered
6,596 Posts
For transmission work I have used Gearmaster in San Jose with great success. I have never seen a cleaner more organized independent shop.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
B. Diddy and UncleJ - Thanks for your recommendations! I'm still doing some research and will look into your suggestions as well. Thanks again!!

·
Tightrope walking
9,559 Posts
Bavarian Motorsport in Milpitas is fantastic. As is Bill Arnold in San Rafael.

Both are absolute guru/sages with BMWs and can quickly diagnose problems, based on their incredible experience with the cars. They're both also damn good wrenchers, so the job - once it's in the shop - will be done quickly and properly.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts