Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
I do'nt make mistakes.
10,478 Posts

·
Registered
6,768 Posts
we can dream... that'd be a house on the water, one back in England and the rest of my days playing with boats, cars and doing charity work and helping family... I somehow doubt my $2 I'll "invest" in it will get me that result... but it'd sure be nice... ;)

·
Registered
6,768 Posts
Joined the pool at work.:p
pools are a good idea - they obviously have more chance with everyone putting in $2 than me with my $2 on my own - by a factor of exactly the number of participants... it's not surprising that you see so many lottery pool jackpots collected ... hey... I might toss in $3 to increase my odds by a whole 50% ... :rofl::rofl:

·
Premium Member
17,427 Posts
pools are a good idea - they obviously have more chance with everyone putting in $2 than me with my $2 on my own - by a factor of exactly the number of participants... it's not surprising that you see so many lottery pool jackpots collected ... hey... I might toss in $3 to increase my odds by a whole 50% ... :rofl::rofl:
Just put in $20 and think you are a group. :dunno:

·
It's complicated
1,292 Posts
I'm counting on being struck by lighting seven days in a row.

Better odds.

:dunno:

·
Overly Intellectual
6,573 Posts
After tax, it's like $233 million.

I don't know of any pools at work, but I got my ticket!

What are the odds of winning again?

·
Registered
6,768 Posts
+1
Lotteries are just a voluntary tax on those that don't know any better.
I hear this trotted out every lottery thread - if you think they're a retirement plan, yes - they're for the idiots out there.. on the other hand, if you consider them entertainment, they cost next to nothing and you can participate for $1-2 - barely the cost of renting a movie for the night... will the movie change someone's life? Maybe... and given that some of the proceeds of the lotteries do good works in the state you buy the tickets... I don't play with $$$ I need for bills, or retirement, or reduce my standard of living by tossing them into the lottery pot...

fwiw - I know people who spend more of starbucks in a week than I spend in 2-3 months on lottery - I think they're idiots also... ::eek:

Quite honestly, people that preach this "tax on the stupid" baloney may have something for those people who buy tickets with money they can ill-afford to spend.. but for the other ticket purchasers - it just sounds like so much "blah-blah-blah..."

Sure I don't ACTUALLY think I'm going to win when I spend a couple of bucks... but every few weeks - SOMEONE wins... back in England I actually know a guy whose wife won pretty big ... :dunno:

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
I would never join a pool at work. I agree with MatWiz
That's a recipe for a lifetime of misery. The Costco near my house hit it big last year. I forget the total winnings but each employee (20 something people) walked away with over $3 million after taxes. The other employees? Still working and cursing every moment of the day...

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
+1
Lotteries are just a voluntary tax on those that don't know any better.
Tell that to those who hit it big. I know two multi-mill winners. They first of all sometimes wish they didn't win for all of the obvious reasons (but are both extremely happy they did). But one comment both have mentioned to me is people sometimes say to them "I never buy lotto tickets, its like throwing away money". Their response- "Thank God that thought never crossed my mind"...

·
Registered
825 Posts
I hear this trotted out every lottery thread - if you think they're a retirement plan, yes - they're for the idiots out there.. on the other hand, if you consider them entertainment, they cost next to nothing and you can participate for $1-2 - barely the cost of renting a movie for the night... will the movie change someone's life? Maybe... and given that some of the proceeds of the lotteries do good works in the state you buy the tickets... I don't play with $$$ I need for bills, or retirement, or reduce my standard of living by tossing them into the lottery pot...

fwiw - I know people who spend more of starbucks in a week than I spend in 2-3 months on lottery - I think they're idiots also... ::eek:

Quite honestly, people that preach this "tax on the stupid" baloney may have something for those people who buy tickets with money they can ill-afford to spend.. but for the other ticket purchasers - it just sounds like so much "blah-blah-blah..."

Sure I don't ACTUALLY think I'm going to win when I spend a couple of bucks... but every few weeks - SOMEONE wins... back in England I actually know a guy whose wife won pretty big ... :dunno:
I agree for some it is just cheap entertainment. Just as I understand most people realize their odds of beating the house in Vegas are pretty minimal.
It kills me though when I see somebody who looks like they can ill afford it buying a 40oz, a pack of Marlboros, and a couple of lottery tickets. Some may say I'm being judgemental. I know that not everybody dresses to match their station in life.
When I see somebody with several kids with them and then they buy gas with the couple of dollars left in change from their 40, smokes & retirement plan, and their car made those bought back in Cash for Clunkers look pristeen, it makes me wonder what they're thinking.

·
Banned
3,059 Posts
That's a recipe for a lifetime of misery. The Costco near my house hit it big last year. I forget the total winnings but each employee (20 something people) walked away with over $3 million after taxes. The other employees? Still working and cursing every moment of the day...
Get Out! Are you serious?!!

I've never played the Lotto in my life, I don't even know how to play. I wonder if this idea would work if 20 something neighbors got together and did the samething. Btw, is this an everyday thing?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts