BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

Just for fun; can you predict the mega number for the "big win" that is probably happening very soon? Getting just that right gets you your dollar back :)

I predict the main prize will be won within the next three draws, starting Friday 1 July. The winning mega number will be 6, 7 or 10.

Attachments

·
Registered
10,966 Posts

·
I'm smarter than you're.
1,955 Posts
My office lottery pool has 48 tickets. My share would be $20.1M before the lump sum discount and income tax, probably about $7M afterwards.
A friend of mine won $100k in Fantasy Five.
Office pool winners inevitably end up getting sued by coworkers who didn't chip in. (i.e. was out sick on that day, would've chipped in, but wasn't asked, usually chip in but forgot to this one time, though one of the winners chipped in for me.................).:cry:

·
Uniquely desultory
7,557 Posts
It is sorta shocking how many people go all Mike Tyson with their new found loot. Maybe I'm kidding myself but I swear I would put the first half, at least, into carefully researched real estate buys.

I recall a guy who won what was then the largest jackpot in history (US, probably world), around $35m. Must have been 15 - 20, maybe 30 years ago. Holy crap the guy came across like an idiot. One newscaster asked him how he would react to people coming out of the woodwork - he said in a week or so he wouldn't hesitate to kick anyone down his steps. The newsguy, feeling a bit awkward with this response said something like, 'well, heh-heh, I guess you mean you'd show them the door.' The guy: 'uhhhh yeah ...' You had to see the vid.

A year later he was in the news again - said he was bored and was buying a bowling alley. Last I heard about him.

*EDIT*

Jeez, maybe I should be doing something productive but I was curious and found the guy in a search. Turns out he landed on his feet, didn't buy the bowling alley, bought a liquor store instead, and later a few other investments:

http://www.people.com/people/archive/article/0,,20097650,00.html

·
Registered
10,966 Posts
Office pool winners inevitably end up getting sued by coworkers who didn't chip in. (i.e. was out sick on that day, would've chipped in, but wasn't asked, usually chip in but forgot to this one time, though one of the winners chipped in for me.................).:cry:
I have written bylaws, and I do rigorous accounting in Excel. I e-mail the accounting sheet and scans of the tickets out before the drawings. So, there'd be 19 witnesses against anybody who'd sue me.

Right now, I only have one delinquent member. But, he still has $0.326 in tonight's pool (his winnings from Tuesday). He'd still get $2.8M before the lump sum discount and taxes. The rules are written so that small winnings (like his $0.326) are only paid out to people who contributed to that game. That way if somebody hadn't played for several games and our winnings are about 4%, they wouldn't be entitled to 4% of 4% of 4%... of $415M.

When I was working, I had collectors in several buildings who would bring me fat envelopes of cash and a list of names. The last few years, I was working in a restricted building where I couldn't have visitors. I started requiring everybody to do it by mail. That caused a lot of people to drop out. But, that's the way it goes.

Once I was buying tickets and some guy in line behind me saw me buying maybe $100 in tickets for a big jackpot. I told him I ran an office pool. He asked if he could join. I said yes, just give me $2 and an e-mail. He said he really didn't trust a stranger he just met. I showed my by BMW key and pointed to my M3 out in front of the store, and told him I don't need to rip people off for $2. He joined the pool.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
A snap-shot of Mega Millions winning numbers appears below:

Now, I am probably going to get whacked for pointing this out, but look at the pattern in last 20 draws below: 7 comes up as the mega number four times. Twice in quick succession, there is a sequence of 4; 7; 6. 10 came up three times:

http://www.calottery.com/play/draw-games/mega-millions/winning-numbers/?page=1

I am guessing that office pool players use quick-pick "random number" tickets; just to speed up the process of buying the tickets? When I buy 10 or 20 quick-pics, I notice that their mega numbers tend to be very repetitive, and not spread out from 1 to 15. That is a "problem" when those mega numbers fall outside the latest pattern in the mega number drawings. Yes, I said pattern, because if you look at the last 20 or so drawings, you will notice a repetitive pattern in the mega numbers. That is until the pattern resets; and there is no predicting when that will happen, or how far it will jump.

Yes, such patterns are possible in a random system, but if you page back into previous winning numbers you will find that this drawing a subset of repetitive numbers happens extremely often. So often, I have steaks of getting my money back on the cost of the tickets...

Now, the previous 20 draws had a different pattern, so as we have just had 20 draws, the pattern may be about to reset, meaning, the mega number tonight may not be a 6, 7 or 10 as I predicted for a continuation of the current pattern. That is why I buy both quick-picks and choose my own numbers when the prize gets to be "up there".

Attachments

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I would prefer to win the second prize and remain anonymous. If I win the main prize, I plan to move out of my house and set up a "sold" sign in front of it, to throw vultures off my trail. This suits me, as I don't like my house.

Apart from a stream of visitors coming to the door explaining why you owe them part of the prize, some people will fall on your property and try to sue you. If you are listed in the white pages, you are screwed; unless you already live in a gated community.

Investing half of the prize in real estate, as suggested by CMAC would be much smarter than blowing it on women and booze :)

I am a co-founder of a struggling medical device start-up, and would probably dump some money into that: Our current investors are applying pressure that is forcing a silly R&D schedule, and have taken all the fun out of it. That "plan" would include buying out the current investors, so they no longer have any say in how we do things...

·
Registered
750 Posts
I would prefer to win the second prize and remain anonymous. If I win the main prize, I plan to move out of my house and set up a "sold" sign in front of it, to throw vultures off my trail. This suits me, as I don't like my house.

Apart from a stream of visitors coming to the door explaining why you owe them part of the prize, some people will fall on your property and try to sue you. If you are listed in the white pages, you are screwed; unless you already live in a gated community.

Investing half of the prize in real estate, as suggested by CMAC would be much smarter than blowing it on women and booze :)

I am a co-founder of a struggling medical device start-up, and would probably dump some money into that: Our current investors are applying pressure that is forcing a silly R&D schedule, and have taken all the fun out of it. That "plan" would include buying out the current investors, so they no longer have any say in how we do things...
2nd is good too. I think real estate is the way to go, rental properties and such. But i would probably pay off a few people's mortgages and then just live off of the rental income.

·
Registered
6,768 Posts
2nd is good too. I think real estate is the way to go, rental properties and such. But i would probably pay off a few people's mortgages and then just live off of the rental income.
I was thinking about that - in my part of the world - Northern Colorado I could invest $10M in Bed=3+ and Bath=3+ you could get 26 of them (if you can find them) -they'll rent for about an average of $2100/month - working on 15% for fees, insurance + money into a maintenance pot, you'd get about 40% more than investing and getting 4%. Plus your properties are in theory, increasing in value (barring another bubble bursting).

What type of interest rate could get investing many millions? It's got to be more than an average CD - what does a serious investor get after advisor fees?

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Looks like the pattern has been broken: 20 41 42 45 49 14

Nobody won the main prize. Now 449 megbucks.

Have my numbers in play for the next two draws...

·
Uniquely desultory
7,557 Posts
A snap-shot of Mega Millions winning numbers appears below:

Now, I am probably going to get whacked for pointing this out, but look at the pattern in last 20 draws below: 7 comes up as the mega number four times. Twice in quick succession, there is a sequence of 4; 7; 6. 10 came up three times:

http://www.calottery.com/play/draw-games/mega-millions/winning-numbers/?page=1

I am guessing that office pool players use quick-pick "random number" tickets; just to speed up the process of buying the tickets? When I buy 10 or 20 quick-pics, I notice that their mega numbers tend to be very repetitive, and not spread out from 1 to 15. That is a "problem" when those mega numbers fall outside the latest pattern in the mega number drawings. Yes, I said pattern, because if you look at the last 20 or so drawings, you will notice a repetitive pattern in the mega numbers. That is until the pattern resets; and there is no predicting when that will happen, or how far it will jump.

Yes, such patterns are possible in a random system, but if you page back into previous winning numbers you will find that this drawing a subset of repetitive numbers happens extremely often. So often, I have steaks of getting my money back on the cost of the tickets...

Now, the previous 20 draws had a different pattern, so as we have just had 20 draws, the pattern may be about to reset, meaning, the mega number tonight may not be a 6, 7 or 10 as I predicted for a continuation of the current pattern. That is why I buy both quick-picks and choose my own numbers when the prize gets to be "up there".
I don't know man, really hard to believe that the patterns are anything more than wild coincidence.

·
Registered
10,966 Posts
There are definitely clusters of repetition in the quick-pick numbers. Since I buy about 50 tickets at a time, I see a lot of repetition of numbers. Quick-pick numbers are generated by software, and software can only generate pseudo-random numbers, not perfectly random numbers. The winning numbers are picked by sets of balls blowing around in a clear plastic cylinder. The balls are carefully weighed. If a set of balls starts showing s bias toward any numbers, they replace the set. When the clustered quick-pick numbers line up with the mechanically generated and very close to random winning numbers, your chance of winning is greater. I've noticed when we get a 4-of-6 tickets we often get a pile of 3-of-6's also.

It's easy to pick a small window of winning number as show a pattern. But with a larger data set, the less chance of any statistical anomalies.

My pool won $3. We'll have 46 tickets towards the $449M.

I buy the tickets at a friend's tobacco and beer "outlet." The clerk there was a little cutie... if you could ignore her tattoos, three year old kid, and banged up Kia. When the weather got warm she started going braless. I guess she's in heat again, looking for a Babydaddy #2. I used to wait until her Kia was there to buy the tickets, so I could check out her yum-yums. But, she quit and now there's either some old fat woman with a smoker's hack or some Bubba working there.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I predict the main prize will be won within the next three draws, starting Friday 1 July. The winning mega number will be 6, 7 or 10.
It seems that I was close: The main prize was won on the third draw as predicted; and the mega number was 10 on the draw before that:

http://www.calottery.com/play/draw-...umbers/?DrawDate=Jul 05, 2016&DrawNumber=1152

http://www.calottery.com/play/draw-...umbers/?DrawDate=Jul 08, 2016&DrawNumber=1153

Somebody else got "my money" :)

·
I do'nt make mistakes.
10,478 Posts
My pool won $5.
On how much spent?

I almost won, but decided at the last second not to buy a ticket. I call it playing virtually. The cost is $0, and lets me dream as much as the guy that spend $100 on tickets.

·
Registered
10,966 Posts
On how much spent?

I almost won, but decided at the last second not to buy a ticket. I call it playing virtually. The cost is $0, and lets me dream as much as the guy that spend $100 on tickets.
You can't (really) win if you don't (really) play.

53 tickets. So far this year, my pool has played 27 times, spent $1,397 on tickets, and won $205. In a lot of ways, what we're paying for is a dream, but one that evaporates when the winning numbers don't match ours.

The minimum contribution to our pool is $2/game. One guy puts in $5 and a woman puts in $4. Winnings are proportional to a member's contribution. Mathematically, they'd be better off just putting $2 in the pool, and then spending the extra $2 or $3 for tickets just for them.

A $2 contribution would have yielded $25M in Friday's game, before the lump sum discount and income taxes. After the discount and taxes, probably about $9M.

We only play when the odds are sort of in our favor, when the jackpots are greater than the ticket prices / odds of winning: $23M for Florida Lotto, $259M for Mega Millions, and $585M for Power Ball. We also play the last time of the month when the jackpots aren't up to the thresholds, just to get a fix.

The pool members mail me their contributions. I got $20 today from pool member Mike Hunt. Frau Putzer picked up the mail and said that I received some lottery contributions. But, she refused to say who it was from. :dunno:

If we ever hit is big, I'm buying a billboard across from where I worked before retiring. My face will be up there with a big grin and "GFY!"

1 - 18 of 18 Posts