Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
Just debadged my car and behind the numbers/letters and xdrive emblem the paint is slightly darker. Had the car taken care of by a very particular detailer and still the outline of what was removed remains darker. I realize paint will fade over time and my car is a 2014 with 34k miles but the fading was more than I thought it would be. I still like the car debadged as it looks much cleaner. Glad I did it with blemishes and all.:)

·
Registered
10,407 Posts
Red is bad for that. It was even worse before the widespread use of clear coat. A housemate in college had a red Camaro that he took good care of. He had a high paying job before going to college, hence the nice car. When he'd wash the car, the soap suds in the bucket would be pink.

Here's my theory as to why. The color of something is determined by what wavelength of radiation it reflects. So, something red reflects red wavelength and absorbs all the other wavelengths. I theorize that the farther away from the visible wavelength, the more radiation is absorbed. Ultra-violet radiation is what causes paint to oxidize, and it's just outside the other side of the visible light spectrum (past violet).

I always buy white cars. White is the reflection of all visible light. I figure if something white reflects all of the visible spectrum it probably reflects much of those wavelengths outside the visible spectrum (infra-red and ultra-violet). With wax and scratch-free washing, my cars look new after ten years, even daily drivers in Floriduh, a.k.a. the Sunshine State.

There's a formerly read Porsche 911 "daily driver" parked near where I used to work. It used to be red. But, after about ten years it's now pink.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Red is the worst for oxidation. Keep it waxed...that’s the best you can do.

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest

·
Registered
12 Posts
Oh great and I just bought a 2018 Melbourne Red 340! Here's hoping of no fading! :dunno:

·
Registered
890 Posts
The cure is to have the paint buffed out once the fading gets bad. Should return it to the original color. And this applies for any color, including white. Extended sun on white paint tends to make it flat.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts