BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
can some one tell me how to use the memory options exactly on the driver seat, b/c i tried several times and its not working for me. i must be missing somthing. let me tell you what i did.

i start my car and set all the mirrors(inside/outside), seat adjustments and then i press the red button M which will glow and then i press the button 1 to store it. i did the same for my wife and stored in button 2.

but when i want to get my settings back after my wife has driven the car, when i click button 1 there is no movement at all.. again i set them manually.....i m missing anything?

·
Registered
3,039 Posts
IIRC, you have to release the top (Red) button before pressing either the 1 or 2 buttons. Intuitively, I was holding the top button while pressing one of the others and having the same problem as you.

Tom

·
Registered
13,568 Posts
I don't remember that. My memory must be off.

·
Breaking in the Pony
2019 Mustang GT / 2005 Toyota Tacoma
6,353 Posts
but when i want to get my settings back after my wife has driven the car, when i click button 1 there is no movement at all.. again i set them manually.....i m missing anything?
It sounds as though you are setting it correctly, it just sounds from your description that you're not returning to position correctly.

Pardon me if I'm stating the obvious, but you don't just click it, you need to press and hold button 1 in until the seat stops moving. That way, if it runs into anything, you take your finger off the button and it stops. If you just touch and release, the seat barely moves.

Now, if you're holding it in and it's not going back to position, that's another matter.

Also, remember that seat positions are tied to the key in the ignition. If you set them on your key, then try to use the buttons with her key, the settings won't be there.

On top of that, you can set the key "last position" memory as well, so that when she unlocks the car with her key, the seat moves to the position it held when that key last locked the car (and the same for your key).

FWIW,
George

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
oh oh...
i know why....do i have to use differnt set of keys for myself and for my wife to have the settings stored? right now we r just using same key....

·
Registered
13,568 Posts
:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

·
Breaking in the Pony
2019 Mustang GT / 2005 Toyota Tacoma
6,353 Posts
oh oh...
i know why....do i have to use differnt set of keys for myself and for my wife to have the settings stored? right now we r just using same key....
No, if you are only using 1 key, then you should not have a setting storage issue. That will only happen if you're switching two keys between the two of you.

1 ) Put one key in the house.
2 ) Take the other out to the car.
3 ) Put the key in the ignition and turn on.
4 ) Run the seat all the way back.
5 ) Press and release "M"
6 ) Press and release "1"
7 ) Run the seat all the way forward.
8 ) Press and release "M"
9 ) Press and release "2"

Now:

10 ) Press and HOLD "1"

Does the seat move at all?

George

·
Registered
779 Posts
I believe the error here is starting the car. The manual states the ignition should be turned to the 'radio readiness' mode before the memory function is initiated and completed.

·
Registered
13,568 Posts
Exactly. Same in my Porsche. Only they call it "ignition" setting. To set memory, do not start the car!

·
Premium Member
2018 540i MSport
8,845 Posts
I believe the memory can be set with the engine running. I think they say "radio readiness" because the memory doesn't work when the ignition is totally off.

Anyway, to the OP, if you want the seat to automatically move to position 1 or 2 when you unlock the door you have to set that option via iDrive, or via the multi-function stalk if you don't have iDrive. If you don't set the seats to move automatically, then like others have said, you have to press and HOLD the memory button for the settings you want to have everything go back to.

Even with one key you could set both 1 and 2 memory settings. Though, your wife will have to press and hold memory button 2 every time so the seats move to her position if she is using your key #1.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I believe the memory can be set with the engine running. I think they say "radio readiness" because the memory doesn't work when the ignition is totally off.

Anyway, to the OP, if you want the seat to automatically move to position 1 or 2 when you unlock the door you have to set that option via iDrive, or via the multi-function stalk if you don't have iDrive. If you don't set the seats to move automatically, then like others have said, you have to press and HOLD the memory button for the settings you want to have everything go back to.

Even with one key you could set both 1 and 2 memory settings. Though, your wife will have to press and hold memory button 2 every time so the seats move to her position if she is using your key #1.
:thumbup: HOLD the button while it moves into position.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts