BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

· What to do...?
655 Posts
Looks like a Chrysler Pacifica. :eek:

· Spelling Impaired
5,719 Posts
The one I saw at the auto show looked really good. I like the idea, although the vehicle is WAY out of my price range...

I like the idea of having a vehicle that is quick, handles pretty well and still can seat six. The Pacifica and the new Ford equivilent don't do anything for me, but I liked the Mercedes.

· Family Man User
5,622 Posts
AF said:
Did you see the new R class coming out ... it wil have seating for 6 and looks like it will be a winner !!

Certainly seems like an SUV replacement !!!
It looks like a good SUV (read: glorified minivan) replacement because, much like the upcoming BMW V-series, it's a minivan (RFK, MPV, Sports Wagon, Sports Tourer, whatever you want to call it).

· I'm a Mac
10,481 Posts
The GST also reminds me of a Pacifica, as well it should. I suspect it shares many of the same parts.

That being said, it's hard to believe that it will be worth the premium. I think I recently read that the new M-class SUV (seating for only 5--two rows) will start around $40k and the new R around $50k.

:thumbdwn:

· I know a thing or two...
7,678 Posts
I saw it at NY and thought that the concept was good, but the styling (mostly front and rear ends) was not so great.

Anyone actually know if this is Pacifica-based? It seemed to have similar proportions and dimensions.

· Registered
1,896 Posts
They have a website up already. It's going to start at $50k, it has a six passenger seating option, and, despite what they claim, it doesn't look like a new concept at all. It's a copy of the SRX mixed with the Pacifica, imo.

· Spelling Impaired
5,719 Posts
SARAFIL said:
I saw it at NY and thought that the concept was good, but the styling (mostly front and rear ends) was not so great.

Anyone actually know if this is Pacifica-based? It seemed to have similar proportions and dimensions.
I would be shocked if it WASN'T based on the Pacifica. Although I haven't read much on the vehicle to either confirm or disprove my assumptions

· Spelling Impaired
5,719 Posts
xspeedy said:
I don't like these new x-over vehicles. Instead of doing everything well, they just don't seem to do anything well.
I see this type of x-breed (car-minivan) being much more usefull than the SUV-Car mix like the Highlander, RX-300, Murano, X3, and others.

I come from a background where your SUV's should be tough and better see the deep snow and off road trails. None of those I listed above would do very well if at all.

On the other hand, having a station wagon like car that can seat 6 isn't that bad as long as it's exicuted properly. Heck, the R and the Pacifica and the Ford are still smaller than my parents old '71 Impala wagon. That car was great...it could hold a dozen kids, move appliances, haul furniture ect. I real utility car like nothing on the road today. The 350ci engine with the Holly 4-barrel was pretty nice too. Too bad it road like crap.

· Family Man User
5,622 Posts
Desertnate said:
I see this type of x-breed (car-minivan) being much more usefull than the SUV-Car mix like the Highlander, RX-300, Murano, X3, and others.

I come from a background where your SUV's should be tough and better see the deep snow and off road trails. None of those I listed above would do very well if at all.

On the other hand, having a station wagon like car that can seat 6 isn't that bad as long as it's exicuted properly. Heck, the R and the Pacifica and the Ford are still smaller than my parents old '71 Impala wagon. That car was great...it could hold a dozen kids, move appliances, haul furniture ect. I real utility car like nothing on the road today. The 350ci engine with the Holly 4-barrel was pretty nice too. Too bad it road like crap.
I completely agree, as that was the basis for the move to SUVs as soccer mom-mobiles in the first place. Some people like the tough guy image that SUVs portray, but more like them for the lots of cargo room, seats more people, higher up on the road aspects. If this R-class were priced about $10k lower, I could see it being a runaway success. As it is, priced at $50k+, I don't imagine it'll meet with the success it could otherwise garner.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.