BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Freude am Fahren
19,760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yes, folks, a diesel hybrid.

Mercedes-Benz Unveils E300 BlueTec Hybrid 56 mpg Sedan
Many diesel enthusiasts have wondered why mainstream automakers such as Mercedes-Benzhaven't built a diesel-electric hybrid, bridging the best of diesel efficiency on the open road with hybrid in-town economy.

The Mercedes-Benz E300 BlueTec Hybrid will go on sale next year. It is available in the standard E-Class sedan body as well as in a wagon.

Under the hood, the 2143 cc four-cylinder diesel engine produces 204 hp (150 kW) and 368 pound-feet (500 Nm) of torque, (This engine is also found in the new SLK 250 CDI sports coupe, the automaker's first diesel sportscar.) The electric motor produces an additional 27 hp (20 kW) and 184 pound-feet (250 Nm) of torque and is integrated into the gearbox, a modified seven-speed 7G-Tronic automatic.
<SNIP>
&#8230;
Read the full story »

·
Registered
473 Posts
Not really. This is not a series hybrid, it's a diesel engined car with a 2 mode transmission that offers additional power, ala GM's mild hybrids (which were codeveloped with GM and BMW,by the way). Don't drink the Kool Aid.

·
Speed Demon
896 Posts
Read up on the Volvo V60.

·
East Coast Commuter
4,675 Posts
Wow on the 56 mpg...awesome. I seriously considered the E350 bluetech before I puchased my second 535i and the one thing that really irked me about the MB (other than poor reliability) was that MB will not let you get the AMG sport package or even the regular sport package wheels on the E350 bluetech....they are available on the gas E350's. One look at the ugly E350 bluetech wheels sent me screaming back to my local BMW dealer. I was willing to take another benz (last one was a bad experience) because I wanted a large diesel car to accompany the 335d. Guess now I will have to wait and see if BMW does the right thing and brings us the 535d/550d or the 735d/750d.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I think we'll see hybrid like batteries in the F30 335d that will come out in 2013. The 335d gets the worst gas mileage when the engine is idling at a stop light, and the energy spent braking the car could be regenerated into a battery. Put these two together with a new generation of lithium batteries and the auto stop-start technology BMW is already using in the F30 and the 335d could very well get 50+ MPG and still be a hoot to drive...

·
Registered
715 Posts
I think we'll see hybrid like batteries in the F30 335d that will come out in 2013. The 335d gets the worst gas mileage when the engine is idling at a stop light, and the energy spent braking the car could be regenerated into a battery. Put these two together with a new generation of lithium batteries and the auto stop-start technology BMW is already using in the F30 and the 335d could very well get 50+ MPG and still be a hoot to drive...
The d actually runs very lean and sips fuel at idle, would probably idle on fumes. It does not do well in stop-and-go traffic because the mpg's suffer greatly during acceleration.

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
Wow on the 56 mpg...awesome. I seriously considered the E350 bluetech before I puchased my second 535i and the one thing that really irked me about the MB (other than poor reliability) was that MB will not let you get the AMG sport package or even the regular sport package wheels on the E350 bluetech....they are available on the gas E350's. One look at the ugly E350 bluetech wheels sent me screaming back to my local BMW dealer. I was willing to take another benz (last one was a bad experience) because I wanted a large diesel car to accompany the 335d. Guess now I will have to wait and see if BMW does the right thing and brings us the 535d/550d or the 735d/750d.
Same here test drove an E350 diesel as well - ugly wheels and drove like a Caddy - hated the feel of the road which made me come back to BMW. At that time I wanted a 535 but they didn't have a diesel version so I got the 335d...

·
Registered
639 Posts
Not really. This is not a series hybrid, it's a diesel engined car with a 2 mode transmission that offers additional power, ala GM's mild hybrids (which were codeveloped with GM and BMW,by the way). Don't drink the Kool Aid.
Are you deciding what is and isn't a hybrid now? :dunno:

Mild, deep, series, parallel, whatever...it can:

a) travel on electricity alone,

b) augment IC power, and

c) regenerate power from braking.

Sounds like a hybrid to most of us.

I'm somewhat disappointed that BMW chose to change their i8 concept car from diesel-hybrid to gasoline-hybrid in the production version.

·
Registered
4,037 Posts
The d actually runs very lean and sips fuel at idle, would probably idle on fumes. It does not do well in stop-and-go traffic because the mpg's suffer greatly during acceleration.
Any time I have been in the d and had to wait extremely long periods of time for my wife to get out of work, my average mpg for those tanks dropped considerably compared to the other tanks. I don't get that in the truck or MBZ. I often wonder why that is.

I will agree though that in stop n go traffic it does burn through the fuel and I speculate it is because of the smaller turbo building boost so easily. I often wonder if an E350 Bluetec would actually net me better fuel economy per tanks due to it being a single turbo more than any other reason.

·
Registered
4,037 Posts
Sounds like a hybrid to most of us .
Same here. I have a very negative attitude towards hybrids and really for no logical reason. I have though always said that if a diesel one came out then I'd certainly entertain that. What I have to wonder with this MBZ is how much are the electrics really helping things at the added "cost" of an even more complex car. That small diesel engine must be pretty dang efficient in itself.

·
Freude am Fahren
19,760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I will agree though that in stop n go traffic it does burn through the fuel and I speculate it is because of the smaller turbo building boost so easily. I often wonder if an E350 Bluetec would actually net me better fuel economy per tanks due to it being a single turbo more than any other reason.
Since both the 335d and E350 BTEC are here in my garage, I can attest to the fact that the E-Klasse is noticeably more fuel efficient despite its larger size. Why that is I cannot say for sure, but it is also the slower of the 2 vehicles as well. :angel:

·
Registered
4,037 Posts
Since both the 335d and E350 BTEC are here in my garage, I can attest to the fact that the E-Klasse is noticeably more fuel efficient despite its larger size. Why that is I cannot say for sure, but it is also the slower of the 2 vehicles as well. :angel:
Yeah, I know it is slower. I really wanted to go to one but felt the power and how the transmission shifted were too big of disappointments to me. I have though learned the transmissions are adaptive in the MBZ. So perhaps the transmission is not near the issue I find it to be.

·
Freude am Fahren
19,760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yeah, I know it is slower. I really wanted to go to one but felt the power and how the transmission shifted were too big of disappointments to me. I have though learned the transmissions are adaptive in the MBZ. So perhaps the transmission is not near the issue I find it to be.
I guess Christian and I did a good job training the trans. in the first 1500 km or so :angel: (driving was a combination of Autobahnen and Landstraßen) - I am quite happy with it.

·
Registered
4,037 Posts
I guess Christian and I did a good job training the trans. in the first 1500 km or so :angel: (driving was a combination of Autobahnen and Landstraßen) - I am quite happy with it.
The incident that sticks in my head was driving one fresh off the delivery truck. Doing 60mph and rolled into the throttle and did not downshift. Heck even my old truck downshifts in that scenario.

·
Registered
715 Posts
Any time I have been in the d and had to wait extremely long periods of time for my wife to get out of work, my average mpg for those tanks dropped considerably compared to the other tanks. I don't get that in the truck or MBZ. I often wonder why that is.

Curious,,, our common rail diesel engines shouldn't perform any different at idle than any other. Are you doing the calcs manually or going by the computer.

·
Registered
4,037 Posts
Curious,,, our common rail diesel engines shouldn't perform any different at idle than any other. Are you doing the calcs manually or going by the computer.
For all of the cars I mentioned, I track their fillups in the same iPhone App. For the truck and d, I track all trips in a separate iPhone App. So if I were really motivated I could cross reference their exports and show the instances. But I am too lazy to do that. I do not know the reason for the drop with excessive idling but just know the d has it. Perhaps all modern diesels do it due to something with the modern emission controls or some other reason.

·
East Coast Commuter
4,675 Posts
I noticed that as well....that is partly what disappointed me about the E. I wanted to like it, but it was too focused on fuel economy and not enough on balance (ie;sport). I know people have put 17 inch wheels on the 335d and seen fuel economy increase so I suspect MB put the most efficient wheel/tire combo and transmission on the E350 BT because they are focusing on maximum fuel economy. The BMW is the enthusiast diesel and it trys to balance good fuel economy with a premium on sport/fun. MB lost with me because I ll take a few less MPG for more sport/fun. If I wanted maximum fuel economy I would have purchased a Jetta TDI which gets better fuel economy than any other diesel sold in the USA.

·
Registered
4,037 Posts
I noticed that as well....that is partly what disappointed me about the E. I wanted to like it, but it was too focused on fuel economy and not enough on balance (ie;sport). I know people have put 17 inch wheels on the 335d and seen fuel economy increase so I suspect MB put the most efficient wheel/tire combo and transmission on the E350 BT because they are focusing on maximum fuel economy. The BMW is the enthusiast diesel and it trys to balance good fuel economy with a premium on sport/fun. MB lost with me because I ll take a few less MPG for more sport/fun. If I wanted maximum fuel economy I would have purchased a Jetta TDI which gets better fuel economy than any other diesel sold in the USA.
The things you state to not like about MB cars, I think are the very things most people buy MB cars for. I do not think they are geared towards fuel economy but more for that ride most BMW owners dislike.

·
Registered
916 Posts
I drove a 300 over a week and believe me I loved the car for its beauty but for performance stance it did not fill my cup of tea, I tried to compare my earlier test drive of the 335d, to the ride of the 300 and my girlfriend FLATLY stated "GET THE BMW" ;) and now she's looking at either X5 or X6 DIESEL

1 - 20 of 50 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.