BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Group… I’m new to the forum with a recently purchased 2002 754Li with 48,000 miles on it. Well, everyone said get and warranty and the Mercury Platinum policy seemed to come highly recommended, so I purchased one.

Now I have the dreaded crossover pipe gasket failure with coolant leaking out of the weep hole like a sieve. I have the car towed to local dealership to have it repaired and I am told by the SA that they (Mercury) will not honor their warranty. They say that it is excluded that this falls under hoses, lines and fittings.

The manager and SA are still slugging it out with them to get them do the right thing. It’s very obvious that this is not a hose, line or fitting. It’s a component INSIDE the engine.

Has anyone else had this problem with Mercury? Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
3,344 Posts
:eek: i have mercury extended warranty and i got in the car this morning and got a low coolant message when i started it. car did not sound good once it turned over. noticed leak under the car - almost certain its coolant. if it is indeed the dreaded crossover pipe gasket failure with coolant leaking out the weep hole, approx where underneath the car does the coolant drip from? let us know what happens w/ mercury. i got an appt this monday. this is most likely the last straw for me. car has under 30k on the clock and is already on its last leg:rofl:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm sorry to hear this! This is a 30 to 50 hour repair depending on the method used to do the job.

As far as the area it leaks from, it all puddles up in the center front of the engine. It’s Hard to see the exact location on the engine. Here are some pictures I found on the forum that shows the problem area.

Hopefully, you may have a more benign problem with hoses, radiator or coolant expansion tank that is leaking and a lot less serious to fix and far cheaper to repair this.

Is your policy the Mercury “Platinum”?

Attachments

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
I'm sorry to hear this! This is a 30 to 50 hour repair depending on the method used to do the job.

As far as the area it leaks from, it all puddles up in the center front of the engine. It's Hard to see the exact location on the engine. Here are some pictures I found on the forum that shows the problem area.

Hopefully, you may have a more benign problem with hoses, radiator or coolant expansion tank that is leaking and a lot less serious to fix and far cheaper to repair this.

Is your policy the Mercury "Platinum"?
Did they give you an estimate/quote for the repair? Btw, I hope they cover it!

·
Banned
973 Posts
Man I feel for you.......this must suck.....keep us up to date on what happens.

·
Registered
405 Posts

As far as the area it leaks from, it all puddles up in the center front of the engine. It's Hard to see the exact location on the engine. Here are some pictures I found on the forum that shows the problem area.

Is your policy the Mercury "Platinum"?
OMG this is horrible man. 30 to 50 hour job you have got to be kidding me if they don't cover it I would try and trade the car man that would be a crazy bill especially if being fixed at BMW. Let us know what happens.

·
Registered
535 Posts

·
E65/E66 Helper Man.......
1,511 Posts
sorry to hear about your troubles fellas... its amazing how many people are coming to the board with similar issues... i'm glad to say that in my days of ownership, i did not experience this, as it seems to be a major pain in the arse... keep us up to date and let us know what happens....

·
Registered
313 Posts
Having been there myself, I'm *truly* sorry to hear about this and at 48K miles nonetheless! I don't know what others think, but I hope BMW is listening to the threads on this issue. My car had this problem at 78K and I know one other person that had the problem at 55K. In my case, the car had just gone out of warranty and BMW NA refused to cover it.

It seems this type of prevalent issue should be addressed by BMW.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thank you all for your sentiments regarding my misfortune.

I called Mercury on Saturday and spoke with one of their staff and was told that the repair was declined due to the problem being a damaged hose! This is something not covered by the policy but was in no way what was wrong with the vehicle and I'm sure my SA gave them a proper description and detailed quote of what was needed to repair the problem.

I asked for the claim denial in writing with the stipulations in the contract that the denial was based on. I was told to fax in a request to another fellow that would be in the office Monday and that he would respond to my request.

I faxed them a nice letter describing the events and sent pictures found on this site along with an exploded diagram of the top end of the engine with the o-ring and parts in question and ask how this could be denied.

Well, I received a call on my voice mail first thing this morning saying that I needed to authorize the teardown of the engine and that they would send an agent to verify the claim and validate the damage that the claim is based on. I have every expectation that they will now honor their policy and that I will be back on the road soon.

I'll let you guys know the final results as they transpire.

Again, thank you all for your input.

·
Registered
3,344 Posts
can you hook me up with your documentation and agents name once my SA calls me and tells me mercury's not covering shiaaatt! :rofl:

·
Registered
850 Posts
Yes can you please provide us with the documentation you created incase we go through the same thing?

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
If they will not fix it, cancel warranty and use the money to get it repaired. It will be a temporary bandage. I have fluid (oil possibly) dripping from the front driver side. I had it fixed under warranty but not sure exactly what it was. I was told it was something with the weep hole. I find out tomorrow. Since its still leakinga nd I am out of my warranty, they are still honoring it!

·
Registered
12,022 Posts
Verdict is........................Hammered:eek:uch:

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Is this a leak from the rear crossover pipe O-ring? I did the repair on my old 540i. Not that bad. I replaced the valley pan gasket, Rear crossover pipe, etc. done over a weekend.

http://www.bimmerboard.com/members/WTH/M62 Intake Manifold R&R.PDF

I am guessing this repair would be similar on the E65 4.4L.
It's more complicated than doing it on a 540 since you have to remove the timing chain cover. If this ever happens to you please write up a diy for us too j/k.

·
Registered
535 Posts
I hope it does not happen to me! but if it does I will write up a DIY.

·
Registered
3,344 Posts
got my car back today after nearly 2 weeks. i liked the 3 series they gave me but glad to be back in the 7. the leak wasn't coming from the treacherous weep hole. my water pump went bad. they replaced that along with both shocks for the trunk lid. it wouldn't stay open and its come down on my head a few times in the past year. i also had the dynamic stability control error cleared out and they of course power steering never went out on the tech during test drive. anyway, bill was $1400 and mercury ate the entire bill.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts