Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did my transmission oil change today and my mechanic told me there's something failing in my transmission because I have metal in my transmission oil pan. The car still drives fine for now after changing the oil. I dont know what to do next. I'll need some advise. Thanks IMG_24241.jpeg IMG_24221.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Bimmerfest mobile app

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
One time I got Transmission malfunction when I was out of town around this time last year. I shut it off and restarted the car and everything was fine. But Sometimes it kicks downshifting to gear 2 but it hasn't done that in a long time after I reset the transmission adaptation with ISTA+. it has been driving fine and I decided to do the my oil change and my mechanic told me about the metal in the transmission pan

·
BimmerFreak
422 Posts
All bmw dealers have talked against changing the tranny oil. What made you change the oil if all was good? And yes I have read that upon changing the oil, the oil will have metal pieces in it due to the gears wear.

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest

·
Holistic Shade Mechanic
26 Posts
Where are you at with the Warranty, anything left? If yes make sure BMW is aware and documents the condition found. Chips of metal are concerning, fine dust is normal, but chips are not.

When it was kicking down to 2nd was it a violent unpleasant event? Wondering if clearing the adaptations cured an aberration that may have been doing unpleasant things to the trans.

Sent from my iPad using Bimmerfest

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
All bmw dealers have talked against changing the tranny oil. What made you change the oil if all was good? And yes I have read that upon changing the oil, the oil will have metal pieces in it due to the gears wear.

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest
I saw it on here that is better to change the oil every 50 or 60k miles. I have 70k miles on my car. After my mechanic chang the oil, everything seems to work fine . I was just scared with what he told me about the metal chip in the oil. He said definitely something is failing in there. He said it might be something small inside the transmission but he just to bring it up to my attention to decide on what I want to do with the car in the future

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Any issues with transmission itself?
One time I got Transmission malfunction when I was out of town around this time last year. I shut it off and restarted the car and everything was fine. But Sometimes it kicks downshifting to gear 2 but it hasn't done that in a long time after I reset the transmission adaptation with ISTA+. it has been driving fine and I decided to do the my oil change and my mechanic told me about the metal in the transmission pan

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Where are you at with the Warranty, anything left? If yes make sure BMW is aware and documents the condition found. Chips of metal are concerning, fine dust is normal, but chips are not.

When it was kicking down to 2nd was it a violent unpleasant event? Wondering if clearing the adaptations cured an aberration that may have been doing unpleasant things to the trans.

I'm out of warranty. I have 70k miles on it. And yeah it did work. But you have to follow the steps

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

It was a minor kick and it did kick putting it in drive. That's why I did the adaptation

·
Holistic Shade Mechanic
26 Posts
If everything is running good transmission wise, you could run it for 5k and change the trans fluid again to check for chips again. If no chips show up keep driving it, getting rid of the kick down may have stopped the irregular wear.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If everything is running good transmission wise, you could run it for 5k and change the trans fluid again to check for chips again. If no chips show up keep driving it, getting rid of the kick down may have stopped the irregular wear.

Thanks .. I will drive it more and be on the lookout but for now it drives fine.
I did the the transmission oil change yestreday.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts