BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

My 1996 523i has an annoying rattle. It is heard when going over bumps, with the window down. I am not sure but I think it is from mid to rear end of car. Sounds like a light metal rattle. I have checked for stones in the brake shield, have applied brakes to see if this cancels the noise, have checked heat shields... cant find anything wrong.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

:dunno:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Hi, update: the front antiroll bar link arm might be the culprit - will be fixed tomorrow - fingers crossed this is the problem. Funny how you cant really tell where a noise is coming from from inside!

KAS

·
Registered
348 Posts
Oftentimes this rattle is caused by the heat shield for the catalytic converter. If that's the culprit, you need to crawl under and secure it with some wire. Most $tealers have the odd habit of insisting you replace everything, including the cat! Go figure.

Edit: never mind...looks like you said you checked the shields.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
OK so I changed the anti-roll link arm.....and....the rattle is still there!

I recently had some heat shields off for a prop repair (rattle was there before this) and made sure they were secured properly...will have another look at this.

Will keep you all posted if I EVER get to bottom of this frustration!

·
Coole Russen
1,304 Posts
Try slightly press on brake pedal while going over bumps. If it's stop rattling, then it's most likely your rear brake pads are not holding tight in place, I had same problem, I thought there's something serious wrong with suspension, but it was just brake pads.

·
overclock that computer!
233 Posts
does it only happed from one side of the car? ie do you hear it from the driver side or the passenger side... have you done bushing replacement for the control arm ever?

·
Registered
219 Posts
Try slightly press on brake pedal while going over bumps. If it's stop rattling, then it's most likely your rear brake pads are not holding tight in place, I had same problem, I thought there's something serious wrong with suspension, but it was just brake pads.
So did you have to replace the pads or was there a fix? I have the rattle on both sides - loud. And it does stop when I press the brakes.

Please advise.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I have the same rattle with my 2001 530i. It is a metallic rattle (Sounds like a loose heat shield) that comes and goes at around 1100 to 1400 RPM. The harmonics have to be in that area in order for it to vibrate. I would prefer to be able to have it on a lift to locate it rather than a floor jack and stands. I can get the rattle to sound when I apply the brake and gently press the accelerator until I get to the correct RPM range. The problem is that I can't talk any of my family members into sticking their head under the car's hot cats to see where its coming from...............Go figure?:p Good luck, I'll post anything I find out if I can locate the culprit in the future.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi, my rattle is is only heard at low speed and with the window open, when front driver wheel is on uneven ground....can go very slowly over speed bump with both wheels and it doesnt clink. I tried applying the brakes (just slightl) to see if it made any difference - when brakes are applied the noise appears to stop.

Will have another check at the brakes and see if the spray helps, also need to check something else that was mentioned on another forum - to see if brake caliper anti rattle clips had fallen off.

Will keep you posted

·
I Am The Machine
20,931 Posts
Hope its just the anti-rattle clips....

Not a Bimmer, but my grandpa had the brakes on his Lex LS replaced right before driving from San Francisco to Washington state. He noticed some rattling on the way. When he tried to back out from his spot at the hotel, the car froze up. The dealership had only fastened down part of the rear calipers. The other part just had the pin sitting there not tightened, and towards the end of the trip it came totally free and caught when he backed up!

·
Coole Russen
1,304 Posts
Hope its just the anti-rattle clips....

Not a Bimmer, but my grandpa had the brakes on his Lex LS replaced right before driving from San Francisco to Washington state. He noticed some rattling on the way. When he tried to back out from his spot at the hotel, the car froze up. The dealership had only fastened down part of the rear calipers. The other part just had the pin sitting there not tightened, and towards the end of the trip it came totally free and caught when he backed up!
I was looking at you sig, are majoring in English or what?

·
I Am The Machine
20,931 Posts
I was looking at you sig, are majoring in English or what?
:rofl:

No, I'm 17, and a first year studying Mechanical Engineering, actually.

I just don't like having to decipher peoples' posts because they can't figure out how to properly write their own fvcking language (I don't mind mistakes from people with English as a second/other language. I'm just impressed they can figure it out at all, its such a stupid language....lol. Or dyslexia or other learning disabilities-you get the idea). But when you've grown up with it, there's no excuse for not knowing how to spell or use proper grammar and syntax. It just bugs me, because it shows laziness.

Just one of my pet peeves, and an admin on another board I was on had that image, so I borrowed it. :)

Edit, interestingly enough, English in general was my least favorite subject from 1st-12th grade. Go figure...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts