BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
resU deretsigeR
6,259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
SAIC has started assembly of the MG 6 in the old plant at Longbridge, Birmingham. The car is designed in England. Parts, including the engine are made in China then shipped to England for final assembly.

MG Rover went bankrupt in 2005 or 5 years after BMW sold Rover Group. A Chinese company bought up the company, or so they thought. Long story.

http://www.mg.co.uk/

I don't know much about the car. If it is anything like the MGs and Rovers that came before it will be a badly flawed great car.

Attachments

·
resU deretsigeR
6,259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Found a few more photos from the first day of assembly and a little more info.

Along with the engine, the body in white and interior parts are coming from China.
The engine is based on Rover K series with an engineering fix for the head gasket issues that plagued many K series powered cars. The fix is probably the same one that Land Rover did. Car uses a front subframe similar to a Rover 75 so that it was compatible with an existing assembly line.

They say the rest of the car is a new design. Hopefully the 5-speed is in no way related to the 5-speed Rover gearbox used in the 1st gen BMW MINI.

They are assembling 20 units a month. :rofl:

A few specs:

1.8L Turbo 4 158HP 0-60 in 8.4 seconds
5 speed manual transmission.
Base model is £15,495 on the road including taxes. Highest trim with leather and sat nav is £18,995. Those prices are thousands less than a Focus or a Golf/Jetta.

Attachments

·
Tar Heel Faithful
14,127 Posts
Chinese components installed by Brits. I thought the goal of MG was to improve its reliability.......

·
resU deretsigeR
6,259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Chinese components installed by Brits. I thought the goal of MG was to improve its reliability.......
I predict these will be good or even great cars on the days that they run.

·
Registered
4,122 Posts
Well, at 20 per day it's not like they will be filling the streets of Longbridge, let alone England or the world.

And yeah, when I think about MG the first thing I think about is a 4 door econobox. (Yes, I know about the Magnette, etc.:D)

·
resU deretsigeR
6,259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
And yeah, when I think about MG the first thing I think about is a 4 door econobox. (Yes, I know about the Magnette, etc.:D)
There are still new unsold 2010 or 2011 TFs at tempting prices. Engines are non-turbo versions of the Chinese 1.8L Rover motor. The rest of the parts are either Chinese built with the old tooling or leftovers. Production ended whey they ran out of key parts. Rimmer Bros. bought up the last of the body shells.

The design group in England has drawn up a few concept sports cars and there is a hot hatch prototype.

===

With an MSRP of £15,500 for a car that's bigger and more powerful than a Focus, Golf or Astra, I think they will be able to sell 20 a month.

·
resU deretsigeR
6,259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

·
We want the Lion!
7,771 Posts
Rimmer Bros. bought up the last of the body shells.
A shell can be had for cheap; they can't give them away at the moment. I import lots of stuff from Rimmer for my Triumph.

·
resU deretsigeR
6,259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
I just looked. £900 for a complete TF body shell. :yikes: That may say something about a TF vs. a B.

I've thought about buying a lost cause MGB for the VIN number and building a brand new car. I'm sure you already know that British Motor Heritage makes new shells from the original tooling they bought from BMW. They aren't exactly giving away the B body shells though.

http://www.bmh-ltd.com/mgbshell.htm

·
resU deretsigeR
6,259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)

·
Tar Heel Faithful
14,127 Posts
Love Top Gear's mention of this in the recent show. Especially when Clarkson says " it's made in China by the Wang King Ling King Dong King corporation" :rofl:

·
resU deretsigeR
6,259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Wen Jiabao visited Longbridge a few hours before BBC aired that episode of Top Gear. -- Has to be one of those bizarre coincidences, right? Either way, I doubt SAIC/MG are going to be giving TopGear a MG6 to test.

http://www.birminghampost.net/birmi...of-china-s-friendship-with-uk-65233-28946600/

Birmingham's car manufacturing industry received a huge boost when China's Premier Wen Jiabao visited the MG plant in Longbridge on Sunday.

Mr Wen launched the new MG6C Magnette model at the factory owned by the Shanghai Automotive Industry Corporation ***8211; one of his country's most high-profile British investments.
There were small pro- and anti- protests outside the plant.

Longbridge appears to be a pilot of a new strategy -- UK design and final assembly of Chinese manufactured products.

·
Registered
6,768 Posts
Longbridge appears to be a pilot of a new strategy -- UK design and final assembly of Chinese manufactured products.
it would be an almost tariff-proof way to move forwards for the Chinese - when they actually pay the wages in the consumer country, it's harder for the local govt. to look at the "investment" with tax hungry eyes and say "No." - especially during a tough economic period where taxes on the home population are likely to decline - inflation looks imminent - and new taxation "at home" is an election-losing gambit...

The profits in $ or £ or € still flow east though...

·
We want the Lion!
7,771 Posts
Well, they can badge it whatever they want; it's still a Chinese econobox. Everyone knows the last of the *real* MGs were made in Abingdon.

I think BMW made a huge mistake when they sold out to Nanjiing. The new Mini has been a huge hit for them. They could have easily built a down-market, no frills Z-based 2 door MGB descendent and dubbed it the "New B". They can use the Mini dealer network. Price it under the Miata and they'd sell boatloads.

Latest issue of Grassroots Motorsports features a shop out west that transplanted a Honda S2000 engine, driveline and suspension into an MGB shell. Rear IRS subframe and all. Bet it goes like a scalded cat.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts