BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, I've run into a snag in my plans for getting my car running and need some help.

First I'll start with a bit of back story as it may be relevant to the issue. A few months ago I had my n54 seize up on the highway, had the car tower back. I got to work right away and replaced the motor. In the process of doing this. I removed the Jb4 I had install to help reduce the variables I would have to deal with when getting the car started.

Long story short here I am trying to get the car up and running for spring. Last night I was trying to get my one plus 6t to connect to the dme. No matter what I did or how many adapters I tried. It would not connect.

So i double checked all the connections and found that I made a mistake. I did not seat one of the wiring harness pin sliders (for lack of better term) Into the dme. I immediately disconnected the battery and put that into place properly. I had hoped this would have solved the problem but still no dme can be read. Ive had the car hooked up to a battery charger, that didn't help. I double check the battery voltage, that checks out. So at this point I'm pretty stummped. The only things I can think of to do are. One buy a tablet with a mirco USB and try again. Or two figure out if I fried my ECU like and idiot and need a new one. Can anyone point me in the right direction on what to do? And where to go from here? Thank you all.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No, I've always used mhd to pull codes. Never bought one because of it. I need my to work anyway as I decided to move over to a boost box. So I'll need it to tune. I'll pick a cheapo up after work if you think it'll tell me something.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok, have an update. I bought a cheapo obd2 scanner. Hooked it up, and got no link. Proceeded to check all engine management fuses including obd2 fuse. Then double checked battery and voltage. Hooked it up to a battery charger. All this had no effect on the scanners ability to connect to the car. So I'm back here for what you do next?

I was scouring issues again on the forums and came across a person having a similar issue. He found that the problem was within the wiring harness box ( don't know exact name). This has shoved me way beyond my ability at this point. Any suggestions would be fantastic.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'd like to add. Not that I know how much relivence it may have. All my dash lights work, including warning lights, service lights, fuel gauge and so on. Not sure it the same system controls the two but it may help diagnos the issue.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Guess you need to start with a basic pinout for obd2 and start metering. It test at the port and then work backwards looking for an air gap. Clearly you weren't careful assembling and checking as you found an issue with the dme connection so good chance there are more similar errors with other connections.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts