Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Formerly CCs328Ci
1,460 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I love the tires, but since like the first week, I hear a roar sound as I stop. 35 mph and below until I make a complete stop. I didnt think it was normal, so I told the place I bought them from. They contacted Miche, after some looking back Miche said they had not seen this problem. So they will probably be contacting me shortly, inspect tires, talk, listen etc. They said they wanted to make sure I was happy with there tire. I dont remember my conti's making a sound until they were worn out. The sound to me is bad, I know the type of tire, size low etc, its not supposed to be perfect sound w/o noise, but this is more to me. anyone else hear a roar or anything? This is bugging me, thank you in advance for any feedback :)

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Did you remember to take off the plastic strings around the tire:D ? All jokes aside, that sounds like a defect tire to me. If the noise you're talking about is that abnormal and considering it's new, perhaps it is a defect. I haven't had experience with Pilot sports, but my Pilot HX's that came with the never made that kind of noise at first. Or perhaps it needs to be broken in a bit:dunno: . They may end up replacing your tires:) .

·
Formerly CCs328Ci
1,460 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
haha, yes ;).. tires have about 8000 miles on them now, but the place I bought them from know about me telling them about the roar pretty quick.... I hate the sound, I will prob tell them I wish I had gotten something else, even tho I love mich, just hate the trouble.. :thumbdwn:

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
I'd go for the S-03's next:thumb: . They're even louder I hear:lmao: . 8000 miles? Michelin has good warranty correct? Are you able to distinguish which specific tire, or is it a general sound? The only roaring I can think of would be at higher speeds on a off-road tire, but 35mph and under sounds like the tire could also be misshapen/uneven wear. All those twisties on the BRP ought to do that real quick:D

·
I like cookies.
18,102 Posts
KP said:
I'd go for the S-03's next:thumb: . They're even louder I hear:lmao:
They certainly are...

I had a chance to examine some Pilot Sports recenly, 275/35 ZR18s, I could bend the sidewall over :thumbdwn: Soft, my 16" S-03s were nearly inflexible :dunno:

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
nate328Ci said:

They certainly are...

I had a chance to examine some Pilot Sports recenly, 275/35 ZR18s, I could bend the sidewall over :thumbdwn: Soft, my 16" S-03s were nearly inflexible :dunno:
Yes, but I've seen pictures of your sidewalls:lmao: . I'm getting them next as soon as mine wear out, but I hope they last me 20k:dunno: . I've gone 21k with the Pilot HX's, and I can still go another 6-7k

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
CC - I have Pilots as well, and no doubt about it, at lower speeds, they can be very loud. I live in an area where the roads can be pretty poor, and on course pavement, the noise can get obnoxious. But at highway speeds, the Pilots are pretty quiet. I agree that the Pilots probably have a softer sidewall than the S-03's, but this also means the ride quality of the Michelins is great for an ultra performance tire.

Now I'm glad you posted about your tire issue, because I have a question about these tires - at about 35-45mph, they start to make a fast paced warbling noise. The tire noise isn't consistent - it pulsates. Anyone have any ideas what’s causing this?

About the S-03's - people rave about these, but other than the noise, no one mentions how these tires ride...do they ride hard and choppy? Transmit a lot of road surface? I.e., how comfortable are they?

·
I like cookies.
18,102 Posts
KP said:

Yes, but I've seen pictures of your sidewalls:lmao: . I'm getting them next as soon as mine wear out, but I hope they last me 20k:dunno: . I've gone 21k with the Pilot HX's, and I can still go another 6-7k
If they last 20k, then you should be buying such nice tires :lmao:

·
I like cookies.
18,102 Posts
geomax said:
About the S-03's - people rave about these, but other than the noise, no one mentions how these tires ride...do they ride hard and choppy? Transmit a lot of road surface? I.e., how comfortable are they?
They ride hard, are lound...

They used to tramline a lot, but I think my track and auto-x sessions cut that out :angel:

·
Head-In-Sand Dumbass
2,192 Posts
If you didn't break the tires in properly or made some hard stops within the first couple hundred miles, this would perfectly explain the roaring sound you're hearing. When you brake, the car pitches forward and puts a LOT of weight on the front tires, which means they have to work very hard to stop the car. This extra pressure on the tread blocks seems to create the louder sound, the "roar" you're hearing. It's perfectly normal, but hey if they want to make sure you're happy let em replace the tires. ;)

geomax, that sounds like a wear problem, probably cupping and/or scuffing due to misalignment. Not usually a good sign; have you been balancing/rotating/aligning as recommended? This is usually not correctable and results in tire replacement.

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
webguy330i said:

geomax, that sounds like a wear problem, probably cupping and/or scuffing due to misalignment. Not usually a good sign; have you been balancing/rotating/aligning as recommended? This is usually not correctable and results in tire replacement.
Hhmm...tires have only about 4000 miles on them and when mounted, they balanced them to within 1/100 of an ounce. 16K on the car. Hard to believe I could have an alignment issue already, but I suppose anythings possible with these cars....:tsk:

I was thinking it could be flat spots...but then I don't get any vibration at all...well, I'll get it checked out. Don't want to be replacing $170 tires all the time...

·
Head-In-Sand Dumbass
2,192 Posts
geomax said:

Hhmm...tires have only about 4000 miles on them and when mounted, they balanced them to within 1/100 of an ounce. 16K on the car. Hard to believe I could have an alignment issue already, but I suppose anythings possible with these cars....:tsk:

I was thinking it could be flat spots...but then I don't get any vibration at all...well, I'll get it checked out. Don't want to be replacing $170 tires all the time...
Try throwing the rear wheels on the front, and front on the rear. See if that reduces the problem.

·
Formerly CCs328Ci
1,460 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
KP said:

Oh besides the roaring when slowing down the tires are great. Handling is perfect and high speeds they are very quite, and ride much much better than my ole nasty conti's did :lmao: I would get pilots again, just didnt think the roar was normal at stopping :dunno:

·
Formerly CCs328Ci
1,460 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
geomax said:
CC - I have Pilots as well, and no doubt about it, at lower speeds, they can be very loud. I live in an area where the roads can be pretty poor, and on course pavement, the noise can get obnoxious. But at highway speeds, the Pilots are pretty quiet. I agree that the Pilots probably have a softer sidewall than the S-03's, but this also means the ride quality of the Michelins is great for an ultra performance tire.

Now I'm glad you posted about your tire issue, because I have a question about these tires - at about 35-45mph, they start to make a fast paced warbling noise. The tire noise isn't consistent - it pulsates. Anyone have any ideas what’s causing this?

I like mine too, S03 ive heard have more road noise at high speeds and I can't stand to hear that, just my impinion :bigpimp:

·
Formerly CCs328Ci
1,460 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
webguy330i said:
If you didn't break the tires in properly or made some hard stops within the first couple hundred miles, this would perfectly explain the roaring sound you're hearing. When you brake, the car pitches forward and puts a LOT of weight on the front tires, which means they have to work very hard to stop the car. This extra pressure on the tread blocks seems to create the louder sound, the "roar" you're hearing. It's perfectly normal, but hey if they want to make sure you're happy let em replace the tires. ;)

Nope, no hard breaking for treating the car like S*** :thumb:

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
I called my service advisor and she suggested changing the tire pressures. I typically run 35F/36R for a firm crisp feel and handling. Michelin, however does suggest 30F/35R.

So, I dropped the pressure in the fronts to 30, and 35 rear, and went for a spin. I'd say this eliminated 95% of the noise! Even the usual tire roar is vastly decreased. Of course, the front now feels a tad soft, but it's still great. A positive trade off is that the ride is a bit smoother, and at highways speeds, the steering is a little less nervous.

Still, I think I'm going to have the alignment checked, just to be sure.

·
Chewbaca is a pimp!
236 Posts
The concensus

So is the following true comparing the two:

Pilots:
noise - better then S-03's, but loud at low speeds
performance - not as good as S-03's
Wet - not as good as S-03's
ride - better then S-03's

I've read so many different reviews that my head is spinning.

:dunno:

·
Here since day one
7,180 Posts
Craig -
I would say the noise you are talking about is normal, I've got the Pilots as well and when I put my non-sport wheels on in Winter (with the Conti Allseason tires) I do not have this noise. Personally I like the sound of the Pilots though this may sound crazy to you . . . it reminds me of the days when I used to drive my Corvette . . . it made the same type of noises . . .

Geomax - one way to pinpointing if you have a bad tire (because I really doubt all 4 are bad) is to take your spare and try it on each part of the car. It's a pain in the ass to do this test but hey . . . isn't the peace of mind worth it !!!!

If you still get this vibration then maybe it is normal :dunno: :dunno:

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
Alan F said:
Geomax - one way to pinpointing if you have a bad tire (because I really doubt all 4 are bad) is to take your spare and try it on each part of the car. It's a pain in the ass to do this test but hey . . . isn't the peace of mind worth it !!!!

If you still get this vibration then maybe it is normal
Thats just the thing - there's no vibration, just the irritating noise. I suppose if thats just the way they are, then it's no big deal. Vibration though, drives me crazy.

·
Formerly CCs328Ci
1,460 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Alan F said:
Craig -
I would say the noise you are talking about is normal, I've got the Pilots as well and when I put my non-sport wheels on in Winter (with the Conti Allseason tires) I do not have this noise. Personally I like the sound of the Pilots though this may sound crazy to you . . . it reminds me of the days when I used to drive my Corvette . . . it made the same type of noises . . .

Yea I know the sound you are talking about, that wide tire meat sound of a tire..hehe I let a little air out like geomax said and it helped a little. Its funny, talking to the Mchelin ppl, one day you can talk to someone nice, the next day this ***** woman said, "we don't have a warranty or anything in writing that says anything about ride quality" I just love it. :tsk:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts